XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Could this be the BCM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 09:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Could this be the BCM?

Ive owned this 2011 xjl for about 6 years now

, and suddenly all these stopped working almost at once. Sound/radio doesn't work, drivers seat stuck in position, massage seats don't turn on, automatic windows don't roll up or down, and trunk doesn't close with the button anymore

Old 12-06-2022, 07:06 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

that does not look good at all.

Are you running a flash over your system as a tune file by any chance?

completely possible it is BCM, dealership reset??

Old 12-06-2022, 10:39 AM

@Lightspeed
No flash, completely stock. Dealership did do something to the computer a couple months back, but that was for an airbag recall

Old 12-06-2022, 04:17 PM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrey Ak
@Lightspeed
No flash, completely stock. Dealership did do something to the computer a couple months back, but that was for an airbag recall
The "U" fault codes are all network related. Check the service manual to see what network they relate to. For instance the medium speed CAN communication network needs to 'see' a network termination of 60 ohms. Possibly something has come disconnected and is affecting all modules.

The following 2 users liked this post by fossberry:
Andrey Ak (12-07-2022), dmchao (12-24-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by fossberry
The "U" fault codes are all network related. Check the service manual to see what network they relate to. For instance the medium speed CAN communication network needs to 'see' a network termination of 60 ohms. Possibly something has come disconnected and is affecting all modules.
Is the CAN BUS located in the middle back seat?

Old 12-07-2022, 01:00 PM

Is the CAN BUS located in the middle back seat?
The central junction box (CJB) is located behind there and certainly is worth a look as the medium speed CAN bus runs through this. It also runs through a number of other modules too as you'll see in the service manual. The mechanical connections can suffer from oxidizing on the pins - Mine did and kept suffering network problems, boot open faults etc. I used a small Dremel with a small wire disc to clean the male pins on the CJB, door control modules, A/C front and rear, keyless vehicle module as they all run on this network. That was 2 months ago and had no faults since. Remember to disconnect the battery if doing this to prevent shorting out anything. I used CRC co contact cleaner on the female end of the connectors before plugging back in. No guarantee any of the above will fix your issue but certainly won't hurt to try.

Old 12-08-2022, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Battery?

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Battery?
I'll have to look into that, replaced battery four years ago. You think insufficient amount of battery power could cause this?

Old 12-09-2022, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by fossberry
The central junction box (CJB) is located behind there and certainly is worth a look as the medium speed CAN bus runs through this. It also runs through a number of other modules too as you'll see in the service manual. The mechanical connections can suffer from oxidizing on the pins - Mine did and kept suffering network problems, boot open faults etc. I used a small Dremel with a small wire disc to clean the male pins on the CJB, door control modules, A/C front and rear, keyless vehicle module as they all run on this network. That was 2 months ago and had no faults since. Remember to disconnect the battery if doing this to prevent shorting out anything. I used CRC co contact cleaner on the female end of the connectors before plugging back in. No guarantee any of the above will fix your issue but certainly won't hurt to try.
Do I aquire service manual from dealer or online?

Old 12-09-2022, 03:22 PM

Do I aquire service manual from dealer or online?
Go back to the main X351 page on here. The "stickies" at the very top of the page have a link for downloading the manuals

Old 12-09-2022, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,420 Likes on 3,512 Posts

I'll have to look into that, replaced battery four years ago. You think insufficient amount of battery power could cause this?
It's almost always the battery.

Your Public Profile shows that you're in the USA but doesn't show the state or city. You should add that so we can better help you. Extreme heat or cold can kill a battery.

Take your XJ to any national chain auto parts store and they will load test your battery for free.
https://www.autozone.com/lp/battery-services
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/...attery-install

Old 12-10-2022, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
It's almost always the battery.

Your Public Profile shows that you're in the USA but doesn't show the state or city. You should add that so we can better help you. Extreme heat or cold can kill a battery.

Take your XJ to any national chain auto parts store and they will load test your battery for free.
https://www.autozone.com/lp/battery-services
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/...attery-install
Got a new battery today, didn't change anything. Also went through the CJB and none of the male pins seemed oxidized. I've set up an appointed with a diagnostic shop to see if maybe they could figure out what's going on. Thanks for the time and effort everybody put in though!!

The following users liked this post:
XJsss (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DID U EVER FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM CAN THE central junction box JUST BE RPLACED WITH NEW ONE OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE PROGRAMMED

Old 12-10-2022, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by dontay23
DID U EVER FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM CAN THE central junction box JUST BE RPLACED WITH NEW ONE OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE PROGRAMMED
No idea yet, the diagnostic shop will take a look at it on Jan 4th

Old 12-11-2022, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,940 Posts

If you find oxidation in a plug or on pins I found that Deoxit will eat the corrosion up without scrubbing. I was very surprised at how thoroughly it cleaned the electrical plugs. It's a bit expensive but compared to other contact cleaners I find this to be the only one that removes the corrosion.
Deoxit Spray

Old 12-11-2022, 11:47 PM

Got a new battery today, didn't change anything. Also went through the CJB and none of the male pins seemed oxidized. I've set up an appointed with a diagnostic shop to see if maybe they could figure out what's going on. Thanks for the time and effort everybody put in though!!
Don't rely on eyeballing. It's good preventative maintenance whilst in there anyway.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:52 PM

If you have access to a diagnostic tool....first thing to do is clear all fault codes, drive (if you're able) and then have a look at the codes that reappear and compare with your pics on your first thread. That way you'll know what were historic codes and what is currently causing you grief.

​​

Old 12-21-2022, 05:11 PM
Rex
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Was looking here as my sister in law's XJ was doing similar, advised her to get new battery... Shop finally discovered that the windshield washer was leaking and pouring fluid into the fuse box - many pages of electrical fault codes!

Old 12-22-2022, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,940 Posts

If that happened I hope the shop is aware that corrosion will move up inside the wires from the junction box. This is invisible and has caused many hours of problems after the junction box was replaced. Not very common but has been reported.