XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Daytime Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights?

It says in the manual that the daytime running lights should come on if the light switch is on Auto or Off. They don't on my XJ SC. Do they work for anyone else, or is this yet another vague and conflicting piece of info from the manual?

Thanks

Nigel

PS. I seem to be creating about every other post on this forum(!) but I guess there are very few of these cars actually out there, and even fewer owners who are active on forums as we are....Hopefully those few of us can continue to share experiences and information on this superb but rather mysterious car (very high tech but with a distinct lack of information from Jaguar or anywhere about how that technology is supposed to work (I honestly don't get the sense that the dealer service staff are much more clued in than anyone else about some of the "computer/electronics related issues))

Old 10-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to dealer when I asked about daytime running lights on my new xj they said they would have to reprogram computer $250. Vehicle does not come with daylight running lights activated.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mine do not come on automatically either??

Old 10-29-2010, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngregson

PS. I seem to be creating about every other post on this forum(!) but I guess there are very few of these cars actually out there, and even fewer owners who are active on forums as we are....Hopefully those few of us can continue to share experiences and information on this superb but rather mysterious car (very high tech but with a distinct lack of information from Jaguar or anywhere about how that technology is supposed to work (I honestly don't get the sense that the dealer service staff are much more clued in than anyone else about some of the "computer/electronics related issues))
It happens Nigel, this is a new section for a new model. Gradually many more owners of the 2011 XJ will join up and post their experiences, tips, etc.

Although with fewer teething problems, I hope.

It must be annoying to have invested so much into a car and then feel like you are the test pilot.

Please keep sharing your experiences, hopefully some unexpected good ones as well.

I can't directly help you with your issues, I have never been fortunate enough to have seen one of these cars in the flesh.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It seem me that those lights on my Neiman Marcus edition XJL-sc come on and are auto activated. I am shocked that your dealer would even quote you any cost for helping you with a software issue of this brand new car. Besides, it shouldn't take a reprograming effort to activate this option. It would be more like ... computer link to access your on board computer, scroll to the appropriate lighting option, select yes or no, click okay and exit. Oh about 5 to 7 minutes going slow. The problem is that many dealers themselves have not moved into the computer age and really don't have a clue about how to use a computer other than to get e-mail and surf the net (and probably have a time of that). Unfortunately(or fortunately) the quality of the meld between the mechanical and the digital engineering of modern vehicles will become the standard by which we all come to judge reliability IMHO......

Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My XJ came with activated daytime running lights. This is however a legal requirement for Canada.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:50 PM

aren't drl's required by law?

Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights,

Hi,
Got my 2011 XJ L S. Built date 07/10. Daytime running lights are on. Its a dealer program thing. If you buy the car new, Jaguar dealer will program the way you want it at no charge. I have been told the cars come from the factory all differently program. Dealer said they are all over the place and its the dealers job to do it.
The car with a built date of 07/10 wasn't released by Jaguar for sale and held in port until they got all their software upgrades. That includes the voice command.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:56 AM

Hey,
i just got my 2011 XJ L S and also feel like the test pilot. Even Jaguar dealers are still confused about ongoing software changes.

I expect to receive my latest Passport Radar 9500ci Equipment and I will install myself. I will post here and share how it went.

In the meantime I have a hard time hunting down info such as how to remove certain body parts to get access.

If anybody has any info about Headrest TV monitors (aftermarket) I would appreciate it.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Great Neck Jaguar programed my Daytime running lights ( No charge ) when they did the software updates. Excellent dealership. Salesman even offered to come to house and pick up car, take it for updates and return it again. Can't hardly complain about that.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Daytime running lights are fully programmable with Jaguar's diagnostic software. For uniformity we here in Indy set all of our cars to Canadian Daytime Running Lights. We can turn them off at owner request. When set to on, the headlights, not the tail lights, come on when any gear is selected. They go off when in park.
It is best to set the auto Headlamps to on and then "fagetaboutit".

Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Are "daytime running lights" the LED's below the headlights? If programmed for this, are these the lights that would come on when in drive day or night regardless of whether or not the headlights are on (I like to keep my headlights in "auto" mode)? My wife's MB E550 Coupe have LED's in the front bumper and these "running lights" come on whenever the car is in drive, day or night, independent of the headlights.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stoppeke
mine do not come on automatically either??
You can go to the dealer and ask them to change the car configuartion file, matter fact there is an option outside of the car configuartion file changing option to enable the daytime running lights. And tell them you are not going to pay $250 to do so. That's insane. It takes five to ten minutes

Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

HouTexJag, the LED's below the headlamps are called "Signature Lights". They are just accents to add a little bling. The daytime running lights are the actual low beam headlamps, minus the tail and side marker lights. That's why it's best to leave the Auto Lamps turned on, so the rear and side lights come on at dusk.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
HouTexJag, the LED's below the headlamps are called "Signature Lights". They are just accents to add a little bling. The daytime running lights are the actual low beam headlamps, minus the tail and side marker lights. That's why it's best to leave the Auto Lamps turned on, so the rear and side lights come on at dusk.
Thanks. I really don't want to leave the headlights on all the time.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 PM

No of course I am probably not the only one who wonders if we can find a way to leave the "bling" LED strips on all time. Any ideas? Once I get a hold on an electrical diagramm sure it won't be too hard.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. They look pretty cool, although I suppose a bit 'me-too' after Audi and Mercedes. I also wonder how bright the LEDs are to be daytime running lights. Maybe it is just the angle (ie. You have to crouch down to driver level) but they don't seem that bright compared to the lights I see coming towards me on those other cars.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 PM

I simply took my car to the dealer to get my Daytime Running Lights enabled. It was pretty quick.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racingf1
Great Neck Jaguar programed my Daytime running lights ( No charge ) when they did the software updates. Excellent dealership. Salesman even offered to come to house and pick up car, take it for updates and return it again. Can't hardly complain about that.
How is Great Neck - I'm picking my new XJ up on Saturday from Heritage - same dealer - just different locations. How has your experience been so far ? Thanks

Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My daytime running lights were off from the factory and this is exactly how I like it.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights?