XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Daytime Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also trying the High Beam Assist function. I was out this evening, seems to work pretty well

Old 12-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the high assist is pretty flawless, and surprisingly nice to have!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 PM

Just got my xjl 300 miles no dlrs work , plus how does the hi beam assist work?
Tks

Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamp
Just got my xjl 300 miles no dlrs work , plus how does the hi beam assist work?
Tks
Daytime Running Lights will have to be turned on in configuration by the dealer.

High Beam Assist? Well, there is some word play going on there. In the Owner Handbook it is called Auto High Beam; its description and operation can be read there. In our training it was called Automatic Headlamps with Intelligent High Beam. In the car, its settings are listed as High Beam Assist. In "Vehicle Setup" on the instrument pack, it should be set for which side of the road YOU drive on in your country. US cars should be set to "Drive on Right". That sets it for which side of the road to expect oncoming headlights to be. In the "Service Menu" the HBA Sensitivity should be set to Normal; I've been told that sets it properly for ambient night lighting in urban areas. I've seen that nowhere in print, though.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngregson
It says in the manual that the daytime running lights should come on if the light switch is on Auto or Off. They don't on my XJ SC. Do they work for anyone else, or is this yet another vague and conflicting piece of info from the manual?

Thanks

Nigel

PS. I seem to be creating about every other post on this forum(!) but I guess there are very few of these cars actually out there, and even fewer owners who are active on forums as we are....Hopefully those few of us can continue to share experiences and information on this superb but rather mysterious car (very high tech but with a distinct lack of information from Jaguar or anywhere about how that technology is supposed to work (I honestly don't get the sense that the dealer service staff are much more clued in than anyone else about some of the "computer/electronics related issues))
On 2011 Xj's, your sales person was "supposed" to sit down with you and go over the programmable features of the car and have it programmed to "YOUR" tastes and requests(for what was avail at the time. barring software updates) Daytime running lights are one of those features to activate or deactivate. This is a Jaguar corp directive and if the dealer is trying to charge you for this maybe you should go talk to someone alittle more knowledgable about practices and proceedures. Now this is a 1 time at purchase, not a I change my mind and can you change everything up again deal down the road for free. But I know we set up cars at PDI per newcar sales dept requests and if things need to be change after that they pay the service dept. So for we don't have ANY issues like this, sooooooo theres your info

Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Hi, my car was delivered just 3 weeks ago so a very new build date, the daytime running lights are not enabled, I assumed it would be the LED strip lights but according to the forum it is the actual main lamps, I am due to go into the dealer on Saturday to discuss this but I am only interested in having them activated if it is the LED's so if it is the main lights then I will not bother with it.
The other thing I am asking is whether the auto dim on the rear view mirrors can be switched on and off by me as in my X350 as I cannot find a button for it, I just find it a bit more difficult to judge following car distances when the mirrors are darkened.

Last edited by roviw; 03-24-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by roviw
Hi, my car was delivered just 3 weeks ago so a very new build date, the daytime running lights are not enabled, I assumed it would be the LED strip lights but according to the forum it is the actual main lamps, I am due to go into the dealer on Saturday to discuss this but I am only interested in having them activated if it is the LED's so if it is the main lights then I will not bother with it.
The other thing I am asking is whether the auto dim on the rear view mirrors can be switched on and off by me as in my X350 as I cannot find a button for it, I just find it a bit more difficult to judge following car distances when the mirrors are darkened.
The Daytime Running Lights sets the dip beam lamps on whenever a gear is selected unless the Parking Brake is on. The LEDs are basically your parking lights, they call them "Signature Lights". They are on with parking lights and headlights.

The Auto Dimming Mirrors are permanently on in the X351. They are only defeated when in reverse gear

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
roviw (03-25-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Thumbs up

Hi, thats very helpful, many thanks for the info

Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by roviw
Did they reset dtrl? We are talking about 2011 xj?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Did they reset dtrl? We are talking about 2011 xj?
Hi, I did go into the dealer as they are only 10 minutes from home and they confirmed what I had found here on the forum that it was actually the dim dipped main lights that woul stay on so as I did not want that I didn't get them to do anything.
Yes it is the 2011 car and only came out of the factory 4 weeks ago.
I was chatting with them and they asked how I was getting on with the car, I have done 1600 miles now in the last 3 1/2 weeks and told them I was really really pleased with it, they had not seen a red one before this one and I said I have had so many compliments and looks since having it, they are still a rare sight on the roads over here despite being available for about 10 months now.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM

I thought it's illegal not to have dtrl?

Old 03-28-2011, 02:57 AM

I thought it's illegal not to have dtrl?
Here in the Uk they have only just made the ruling that new cars manufactured after about the 7th or 8th February 2011 must have them fitted, but as yet, it is not law that they have to be used !
it is still mostly mercedes and audis that we see on the road that have the LED running lights in operation but most other cars are still not running with them illuminated. Mind you Volvo have been using them since the 80's.
Are they law over in the USA then ?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Still legal in the US to drive cars during the day without headlights on (motorcycles must have them on). Not legal in Canada.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, what happens when HBA is set to the alternate mode in the service menu?

Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Puma
Out of curiosity, what happens when HBA is set to the alternate mode in the service menu?
I posed that question to the technical folks, and their words were:
"Our understanding is that normal is for developed countries where nighttime ambient light is higher, city lights etc. In undeveloped territories there is very little ambient light at night so the sensitivity has to be different."

Is that all of it??? Who knows.

Cheers,

Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Are "daytime running lights" the LED's below the headlights? If programmed for this, are these the lights that would come on when in drive day or night regardless of whether or not the headlights are on (I like to keep my headlights in "auto" mode)? My wife's MB E550 Coupe have LED's in the front bumper and these "running lights" come on whenever the car is in drive, day or night, independent of the headlights.

alright! e550!

Old 05-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Default Daytime running lights

I was a little confused when my daytime lights weren't on but this post shed a lot of light on the situation. I think I'll leave them deactivated, they're really not doing anything special anyway

Mik22royal

2013 Jaguar Supersport
2009 Range Rover Sport
2006 Nissan Pathfinder
2001 Ford F150

Attached Thumbnails Daytime Running Lights?-20150505_120711.jpg  
Old 05-09-2015, 11:49 AM

P.S. Can anyone share how to adjust my photos so they sit right. Sorry guys, I'm a newbie

Thanks
Mik22royal

Old 05-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Mik22, take a browse through this thread...and hope it helps!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...pictures-2418/

The following users liked this post:
mik22royal (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default OK, so can anyone crisply answer the question of...

...whether the dealer can program the "signature lights" to default "on" during the day as opposed to the driving lights. Nobody needs the headlights on during the day unless it is required by law. Let's be serious.

Simply the LED strip "on" is what most of us are after - I'm assuming.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-13-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights?