XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dead battery

Hello everybody. Last night for at this point, unknown reasons, the battery completely discharged. May have left the radar detector on but am a little perplexed that this one item would have caused a complete discharge. We were able to get it jumped after letting recharge for several minutes. Then took it out for a drive and seems to be ok for the moment. I did read one post, not these forums, that even if the car is garaged, you should always lock it because if not locked something(s) may still be causing a minor drain. In either event this has not happened before so definitely gonna have to keep an eye on it.

All that to say this, after getting her started and recharged, the center console information screen for the audio, climate, nav etc. is blank. Is there a way I can get the system to reset or am I gonna have to take to a shop?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Last edited by HavocX10; 10-09-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

The symptoms you describe are typical of low voltage. If your 2011 XJ still has the original battery, it's 6 years old and due for replacement. If your battery is 2-3 years old, jump starting it and going for a short drive won't bring it up to a full charge.

Always lock your car, even when parked in your garage. Otherwise, the electronics don't shut down immediately and can deplete the battery. And keep your key at least 20 feet away from your car to keep it from waking back up.

I keep my battery fully charged by using a CTEK MUS 4.3 battery maintainer, and have never had any electrical gremlins.

Stuart

P.S. See also: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...art-up-170340/

Last edited by Stuart S; 10-10-2016 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following users liked this post:
HavocX10 (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Stuart. So the use of the CTEK is something you do when the car is going to be sitting for a period of time? I'm assuming if a car such as ours is used as a daily driver, then this would not be necessary?

When I had the battery checked at parts store yesterday, their tester showed the battery was good but the voltage regulator failed. We parked the car at the shop yesterday and made sure everything was off, radar detector, phone charger, etc. The shop just called, when they checked the car, the battery was completely drained again. They recharged and got the car running and checked the charging system and determined the alternator, voltage regulator, etc. are performing properly. So now going to have to chase down where the draw is coming from.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Correct, although I'll plug in the CTEK maybe once every 2-3 weeks just to make sure the battery is fully charged because most of my driving is short trips.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

My XJL is driven on an average of twice a week, in rotation with two other vehicles; all three of which I consider to be "daily drivers". I keep it locked whenever it isn't being driven and have never had any reason to use a battery maintainer. When I had my Rolls-Royce, a maintainer was a necessity unless you were going to drive it at least every other day. Leave it parked more than two days, and it needed a jump start. The shop that serviced it could never find a reason but said it wasn't uncommon.

Dwayne

Old 10-14-2016, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HavocX10
... When I had the battery checked at parts store yesterday, their tester showed the battery was good but the voltage regulator failed. We parked the car at the shop yesterday and made sure everything was off, radar detector, phone charger, etc. The shop just called, when they checked the car, the battery was completely drained again. They recharged and got the car running and checked the charging system and determined the alternator, voltage regulator, etc. are performing properly. So now going to have to chase down where the draw is coming from.
Do you leave any accessories (radar detector, phone charger, etc.) plugged in after you shut off the engine? If so, unplug everything, lock the doors, and keep the key 20 feet away from the car. If that doesn't stop the draw, you're back to square 1.

How old is your battery? Is your shop an indy? If so, you might save time, money, and aggravation by taking your car to a Jaguar dealer. The parts store said that the voltage regulator failed, but your shop said it was OK. Who's right?