XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Dealership service records

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealership service records

Hello folks, today I went to a local Jaguar dealer to see you about any needed warranty service and to see what other services were performed from previous owner. The service adviser said that the only records they are able to pull from their computer are warranty service from other dealers. Anything that the prior owner paid for through a dealer is not able to be pulled. Is this correct? Thank you.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:20 PM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

No - I was given a complete service history by a Jag dealer for my car before I bought it, and that dealer had never seen the car before.

You can also contact Jaguar's head office in your country for this information.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, appreciated the feedback. I'll follow up with Jaguar. Thanks

Old 09-26-2023, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,931 Likes on 7,182 Posts

Originally Posted by L87turbo
Hello folks, today I went to a local Jaguar dealer to see you about any needed warranty service and to see what other services were performed from previous owner. The service adviser said that the only records they are able to pull from their computer are warranty service from other dealers. Anything that the prior owner paid for through a dealer is not able to be pulled. Is this correct? Thank you.

In my experience....30 years at USA dealerships....yes, that's true. Each dealer can access what is in Jaguar USA records (such as warranty repairs) but there is no common data base between dealers for reporting and sharing other records.

Some dealers participate in CarFax or similar data base services....so getting such a report might give you the info you seek.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 09-26-2023 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by L87turbo
I just tried entering my vin number on the link provided and while the website did correctly identify my vehicle, regardless of which tab I tried I received a message that stated “ this vehicle not eligible for on line service history “. I don’t know what that means to be eligible since I have had my x351 for 9 years and it has always
been serviced at my local Jag dealer in Scottsdale, Az. I have a whole folder of receipts , yet the vehicle is not eligible ? What gives ?

thanks Gpk

Old 09-27-2023, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gpktwo
I just tried entering my vin number on the link provided and while the website did correctly identify my vehicle, regardless of which tab I tried I received a message that stated “ this vehicle not eligible for on line service history “. I don’t know what that means to be eligible since I have had my x351 for 9 years and it has always
been serviced at my local Jag dealer in Scottsdale, Az. I have a whole folder of receipts , yet the vehicle is not eligible ? What gives ?

thanks Gpk

I'm not sure what link and website you are referring to.

However, some dealers offer customers a pathway into the service history of their own cars, not unlike members of this forum being able to pull up their prior postings, see how many posts have been "liked", and other information. The dealer offering this would control how much history was available. For example, service history older than 3 years might be dropped, or history for cars older than xxx-model year might be dropped.

This wouldn't have anything to do with the database of corporate Jaguar or other dealerships.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-27-2023, 08:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Doug, the one i'm referring to is the one listed by CJSJAG in his post yesterday https://jaguarlandroverdiplomatic.co service-history

gpk

Old 09-27-2023, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Doug, the one i'm referring to is the one listed by CJSJAG in his post yesterday https://jaguarlandroverdiplomatic.co service-history

gpk

Ahhhh.

That does appear to be connected to Jaguar.....as opposed to being connected to a specific dealer. I don't know why your history vanished....although my remarks about how long history is kept might apply.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-27-2023, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

gpk
This link gives an error, but if I add an "m" to the end to make it .com, it just goes to the dealer website and I can't see a place to enter the VIN?

Old 09-27-2023, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
This link gives an error, but if I add an "m" to the end to make it .com, it just goes to the dealer website and I can't see a place to enter the VIN?
Never mind, I found the correct link by doing a search on that website.

https://jaguarlandroverdiplomatic.co...ervice-history

I don't see any history for the VIN. Is this website just the service for that dealership or any dealership? It looks like it's national, so it's odd that there is zero service history.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Ok that website is officially a piece of hot garbage.

I put in 10 different VINs from Autotrader, and it identified each of the cars but had zero history. Don't waste your time with it like I did.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 09-27-2023 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:13 PM

Ok that website is official a piece of hot garbage.
The website clearly states it's for cars bought on the diplomatic program.

Contact Jaguar's head office in your country and ask for a service history, easy.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
The website clearly states it's for cars bought on the diplomatic program.

Contact Jaguar's head office in your country and ask for a service history, easy.
I will call tomorrow. Sounds like you’re not in the US, so I won’t get my hopes up, lol. How do they deliver the history in your experience?

Old 09-27-2023, 06:47 PM

I will call tomorrow. Sounds like you’re not in the US, so I won’t get my hopes up, lol. How do they deliver the history in your experience?
I'm not - Jaguar Australia were awesome and emailed me PDFs of my service history, as well as updating my vehicle's record at their end with my contact info so they can reach me if there's a future recall or something related to my vehicle.

I also managed to get a copy of the Online Service History from a dealership who'd never seen the car before, and they also logged into both TOPIX and Vista to download a copy of the vehicle information from there. They gave me the build sheet, build timeline, all sorts of cool stuff. I tried the same thing with my local dealership and they weren't at all interested, so I think it depends a lot on the person you're talking to... They definitely HAVE access to this information, but whether they can be bothered to do it for you is a different story.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Let us know what they say. I'm curious !

I suspect they'll be happy to give you all the service history that they have records of. This would include warranty repairs and other work/servicing billed thru or paid by Jaguar USA warranty billing system.

Things may well have changed in the 15 years I've been away from the game but the car may have had tons of repairs/routine servicing done where the customer paid directly out-of-pocket. Such work isn't/wasn't reported to Jaguar USA; they would have no record of it.

I hope I'm wrong

Cheers
DD

Old 09-27-2023, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Let us know what they say. I'm curious !

I suspect they'll be happy to give you all the service history that they have records of. This would include warranty repairs and other work/servicing billed thru or paid by Jaguar USA warranty billing system.

Things may well have changed in the 15 years I've been away from the game but the car may have had tons of repairs/routine servicing done where the customer paid directly out-of-pocket. Such work isn't/wasn't reported to Jaguar USA; they would have no record of it.

I hope I'm wrong

Cheers
DD
I am looking to buy a final edition that was built in 2020 and is still under full factory warranty for 2 years, so I wouldn't expect any out of pocket repairs. Maybe they got the oil changed somewhere else since I don't know if Jag was still doing the 5 years of free maintenance in final year of the XJ.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not - Jaguar Australia were awesome and emailed me PDFs of my service history, as well as updating my vehicle's record at their end with my contact info so they can reach me if there's a future recall or something related to my vehicle.

I also managed to get a copy of the Online Service History from a dealership who'd never seen the car before, and they also logged into both TOPIX and Vista to download a copy of the vehicle information from there. They gave me the build sheet, build timeline, all sorts of cool stuff. I tried the same thing with my local dealership and they weren't at all interested, so I think it depends a lot on the person you're talking to... They definitely HAVE access to this information, but whether they can be bothered to do it for you is a different story.
I am trying to get the records of a car I am potentially buying. Did they ask you for any ownership proof, or just the VIN?

Old 09-28-2023, 12:01 AM

I am trying to get the records of a car I am potentially buying. Did they ask you for any ownership proof, or just the VIN?
That's what I was doing - gathering information before the sale. No proof, just the VIN. The dealer that gave me the info gave it to me before buying the car, my local dealer wouldn't help me with anything even after I'd bought it and drove it right up to their office door. I honestly think it's more about whether the person you're talking to likes their job!

Old 09-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

That's what I was doing - gathering information before the sale. No proof, just the VIN. The dealer that gave me the info gave it to me before buying the car, my local dealer wouldn't help me with anything even after I'd bought it and drove it right up to their office door. I honestly think it's more about whether the person you're talking to likes their job!
Great, thanks. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Just called 1-800-4-Jaguar and pressed 9 for customer service.

A very nice gentleman answered the call quickly. I told him I was inquiring about the service records. He told me right away that I would have to call the dealer to get the records printed out, but he could look on the screen and tell me the history over the phone. In short, the car has had its 3 included services since it went in service 3 years ago. It has the 2 remaining services left for years 4 and 5. Not much else was recorded, just some recall for the pre-inspection, which we both found odd that there is such a thing as a recall on a pre-inspection.

He asked my if I was planning to buy the car, and I told him I have a deposit on it. He had no issue with the fact that I am not the owner yet.

So everything checks out. He said he would send me some screen shots for my records. When it comes time to sell the car, it will be helpful to have those records if I can't get the official ones from the servicing dealer that he told me did the services.

Overall a good experience. I'll reach out to the dealer that did the services to see if they will send me the actual records.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 09-28-2023 at 01:54 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by lotusespritse:
dangoesfast (09-28-2023), Doug (09-28-2023), QP7 (10-06-2023), ralphwg (09-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Dealership service records