XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Disabling Lost Key Fob That's Lost In Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Disabling Lost Key Fob That's Lost In Car

I know, it sounds made up... but I lost a keyfob in my vehicle... somewhere. I've torn it apart looking for it. The issue is that I can start the car no problem WITHOUT the other fob in my pocket... just can't lock it. This has lead to a few issues with my wife and I both thinking the other person has the key on their persons, only to get where we are going and realize we don't have the key (it happens when we're in a hurry and forget to ask). So we're stuck having to go home and get the other key. You would think since the car realizes the key is in the car somewhere, that it wouldn't let me lock the car when the other fob is in my pocket, but it does. Someone could get in my car and start it no problem right now which is kind of scary. I'm not sure if there is some way of disabling the other FOB and getting a new one so I don't have this problem. Seriously - we've spent hours looking for the key and we can't find it. We assume it fell inbetween something mechanical and we just can't see it. It's starting to become an issue when my wife and I forget to ask the other when in a hurry if the other has the key and we end up having to turn around and get the other one.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm sorry but forgive me for saying this sounds like it could have been a skit off of "I Love Lucy"! LOL

Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What's your address and when do you go to bed? I'll have that pesky little problem of yours solved by daybreak! Ok, smarmy answers aside, I assume you want to keep your jag. The dealer can reprogram your car with the remaining keys/fobs, and by default the "missing" one will no longer work. But it's usually a pretty expensive option, since you probably want to buy a new one to replace it. My next suggestion may seem like using a hammer to kill a fly, but given the cost of new fobs and reprogramming- have you considered taking the seats out? It can be relatively painless if you have the step by step Jag instructions. At a local Indy shop, it might even be cheaper to pay them actual time to remove and reinstall if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

It's probably under the seat and you sure can't get under there without removing it (I've lost a comb and some change in there already). I would have the dealer do it--couldn't cost that much. Pretty important.

I'm surprised that you can lock the car with the fob inside--mine gives 2 sharp beeps and will not lock when I've left the fob in the car. I guess the other fob outside the car overrides--Jaguar didn't figure for this possibility.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah, you wouldn't think I could lock the door... any idea how much a new FOB is?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

In the neighborhood of $225 plus programming. If you find the old one it can be reprogrammed or sold and used on another car. Unlike the older smart keys that become trash

Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default This is at least a funny one

Hi,
I can imagine the unpleasant discussions and don't mean to make fun of the situation. It simply sucks. But, I had to laugh, simply, because I thought stuff like that only happens to me.
Your story made my day, still laughing, and I hope you found your key after all with the help of flash lights. I bet its somehwere in or under the seat in a tough spot to find. Good luck. Hope you don't have to spend the money on a new key.