XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Does replacing main battery need IDS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does replacing main battery need IDS?

2013 XJL 3.0 petrol. We've owned the car for just under a year. I've read lots in this forum about the battery monitoring module, and methods for charging up, since we regularly see "low battery" warnings. It looks like it's the original main battery in there, and I've charged it up with my top-up charger a couple of times now.Having checked the main battery with a multimeter on several separate occasions, I am usually seeing 12.5V or so, and this seems low, and I believe the battery is near the end of its life.I'm seeing replacement batteries on the market for £140 or so and I was wondering: can I replace the battery myself without using IDS? I've read in this forum in an old message that IDS is needed to swap the main battery on the X351. Is IDS only available to dealers, or will independent garages have access too?

Old 06-06-2018, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Technically you should reset the BMM, but in reality you can just swap them over and I bet most are without giving it a second thought.

The BMM monitors the characteristics of the battery to optimally charge it, and determine how quickly it will discharge so the car switches off non-essentials earlier as the battery ages. If you just swap the battery over without telling the BMM it will just treat the new battery the same until it has re-learnt the characteristics which takes a set time/distance.

For example if your current battery discharges quickly you may notice the "Battery low, start engine" and "System will shut down in 1 minute" message soon after ignition without the engine running. Change for a new fully charged battery and that message may still appear for a few trips until the car works out it can stay on for a longer period.

You could avoid that by leaving the car connected to a battery conditioner for a few days prior to swapping the batteries over. Or just not bother - nothing will break, at most it would be an inconvenience for a few days if you like to listen to the radio with the engine off.