XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Door control module

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021 | 08:36 PM
|
Default Door control module

Hi team,

Am getting a double beep as soon as I try to lock the car via the key fob. It would also randomly double beep with no pattern to it. I've since replaced the locking assembly (these are known to fail and wanted to start with a nice new one). The door in question is the front right driver's door. When pressing the unlock button on the key fob I can hear the actuator working and get a voltage transient between pins 5 and 7 on the wire harness (C2 test on page 2822 of the service manual). When doing the above and pressing the lock button there's no voltage applied to the motor and the double beep. The wire harness from the central locking motor in the door to the door control module tests fine - no breaks or shorts found. If I plug in the door control module, close all the doors and lock the car/arm the alarm and then open via the driver's door, the alarm goes off.

My Foxwell NT520pro threw up code B1108-11 (driver's door central locking motor - circuit short to ground). I'm going to try replacing the relay on the door control module as it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a relay go bad (always start with a electromechanical part and then whatever drives this is my motto).

Just in case this doesn't work, I'll look at replacing this module. The service manual says when installing a new one, to configure using a diagnostic tool. Anyone had to do this? If so what's involved, or does the unit 'self learn' from the network? If anyone else has any input I'm all ears (was thinking the KVM as the next culprit as this takes the signal from the key fob. CJB maybe?). Sick of seeing my XJ parked up...thanks!

Last edited by fossberry; 11-05-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2021 | 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Almost always a replacement module needs to be reconfigured using the factory software SDD.
It was not clear but you are talking about the Drivers Door Module DDM?

Pretty rare error too.
Here is a thread but it sounds like you have already changed the door lock motor? Sometimes different terms are used and it gets confusing as to what was actually replaced.
Code B1108

Attached is a Jaguar TSB that does mention that code and a closely related one but it sounds like you have followed these directions already. But maybe it will help?
I would be replacing the DDM next but can you get it programmed?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-11-2021 | 02:06 PM
|

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Almost always a replacement module needs to be reconfigured using the factory software SDD.
It was not clear but you are talking about the Drivers Door Module DDM?

Pretty rare error too.
Here is a thread but it sounds like you have already changed the door lock motor? Sometimes different terms are used and it gets confusing as to what was actually replaced.
Code B1108

Attached is a Jaguar TSB that does mention that code and a closely related one but it sounds like you have followed these directions already. But maybe it will help?
I would be replacing the DDM next but can you get it programmed?
Thanks for the info. Yeah I've pretty much done all of the above. Replacement omron relays turned up today and lo and behold, after replacing the relay on the DDM, reinstalling and clearing the codes, the fault code never came back! To replace will require a small solder pot and masking off or removal of the surface mount components located on the solder side of the relay. Another likely issue was the torx screws on the A-pillar that stop the door from opening too far were only a little beyond finger tight and mating flange was clearly moving, due to the A-pillar being back to bare metal! Went around and all were loose(!) This no doubt causes alignment issues with the door locks to the B-pillars. Something for others to check should this ever arise (and the cheapest fix too).

Old 11-12-2021 | 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

So nice to see you got it fixed for very little money!
Glad you reported back with the fix too. We rarely get to close out these and are left to wonder what happened in the end.

Old 05-23-2022 | 05:39 PM
Veteran member

fossberry, do you have a part number for that relay? I am looking to get one of those relays just in case my lock actuator/motor is not my problem. Starting to get random double beeps when I go to lock the driver's door. I can see it attempting to lock the door, just doesn't seem to have enough butt to make it work. I tried getting a part off of ebay that said it would work (complete assembly from an XF). Imagine that, close, but not like for like. May see if I can pull the lock actuator/motor from that used part and put it into the XJ assembly.

For anyone looking to use an XF lock assembly in an XJ, it is not a straight forward swap. You are going to have to swap the cable that goes between the lock actuator/motor and the door handle as the XF one is like 2 inches shorter and depending on which version of the XF actuator you get, it may or may not have all the same parts. In my case, it was missing the proximity sensor that is in the drivers' door.