XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

DPF problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 07:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DPF problem

Hi I have a xj jaguar portfolio with dpf and turbo over boost. I started getting dpf probs which r the bane of many peoples lives. The car has got 32500 on the clock. I realise that tootling round in these motors does cause probs with dpf. In the end ended up with the red warning on the dpf full take to dealer. I have had the the dpf force regened. This seemed to work but was told it was a throttle body issue. Then came the engine management light. This threw up code for turbo over boost. Which iam told stop auto regen from happening. So long story shortish ended up with dpf filter off sent for cleaning. Throttle body checked all reinstalled. Only to get amber light which cleared after a run. Then engine management light returned. Have informed by garage that it is the turbo actuators sticking. Is it poss on this model jag that the engine has to be romoved for thi job to be done.

Old 04-29-2023, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 281 Posts

Hi Bert welcome, by the sound of it your other in the uk or the eu, as this is mostly an American site they don't use soot chuckers ( diesel) jags , but we do have a very good and knowledgeable member called vasra from the eu , his is diesel , could you please start by telling us what year your car is , as some diesel models are more susceptible to PDF problems than others , the worst ones are from year 65- on . George

Old 04-29-2023, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

I see you are in the uk , but were

Old 04-29-2023, 12:44 PM

Hi George my jag is a 2017 model with 32500 on the clock. This over boost prob aligning with dpf not regening. Seems to be a big prob in the UK for a lot of xj owners. Cheers Glenn x351 3.0

The following users liked this post:
George05 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 12:46 PM

I live in a little place called Derby. Derbyshire

George05 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bert1959
Hi George my jag is a 2017 model with 32500 on the clock. This over boost prob aligning with dpf not regening. Seems to be a big prob in the UK for a lot of xj owners. Cheers Glenn x351 3.0
Ok Glenn, I got you , from 65 - face lift cars they for some unknown reason moved the coupling from the exhaust manifold to the PDF further by 2 inch , causing these problems , turbos , PDF , throttle body and plastic manifold at back of the engine , the Range Rover sport and Range Rover suffer from same problems from that year , these cars do not like short journeys, I've had a 60plate a 64 plate and now a 66 plate but the new one is the 5 litre supercharged model , the other 2 were diesel but only occasionally had a yellow PDF full warning then took it for a good blast to clear it , from 65 - its horrendous the Brit forum is full of problems with these cars , they also get oil dilution with unhurt fuel pushing past the piston rings and mixing with engine oil if left to far , engine failure. my strong advice to you would be to seek out a good jaguar Indy in your area

Old 04-29-2023, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

I can recommend one garage not to far from you , the jag centre in Doncaster owned by guy called Chris , he gets highly recommended another I know of is EE services Milton Keynes

Old 04-29-2023, 01:10 PM

Cheers George
Thawill be taking it to a chap who only deals with jags. I would not trust taking it to a jag dealer over here over priced and not very well informed is the vibe I get.
Thanks once again.

George05 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Good , Glenn get it booked in asap and see what they say , I know a few on the Brit forum do 3-4 oil changes per year due to this , a few do it by DIY it's not hard to do

Old 04-29-2023, 01:30 PM

I have done George and yes oil changes are a breeze I have got the extraction pump. So oil change is no problem cheers.

Old 04-29-2023, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Glenn, would you not fancy the petrol version

Old 04-29-2023, 02:08 PM
Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Hello Bert1959, The turbo overboost for sure are result of turbo actuator stuck. The primary turbo are variable vane type and electronically controlled. Primary turbo are located on passenger side of engine on UK vehicle. If you interested how itīs work, check this
George05 are correct that Euro6 (2016+) engines are problematic and not very well suitable for short journeys, but i think there are more problems in your engine than just particle filter position in the exhaust system. For this mileage you should not yet have failed turbo vane mechanic causing sticking, so its propably lot of soot there causing vanes to stick. Normally soot do not accumalete in turbos as a volumes, no matter how short journeys you do. The reason for increased soot are incorrect burning.
Back in days before particle filters it was black visible smoke from exhaust telling that everything are not correct in diesel engine.

Could be wrong mixture rate: Clean airflow meters with the spray meant for this. Donīt touch internals with anything. You can also swap the airflow meters. (there are two, one for each turbo. Normally primary turbo circuit are used 80% of time, since secondary turbo join in the game about 2700-3000rpm, so secondary airflow meter are much less used) You might also have cracked and leaking inlet manifold (plastic) causing error for fuel/air mixture. Raise the engine cover and seek if you have wet/oily areas.

Incorrect burning can be caused by faulty / leaking fuel injector what leaks high pressurised fuel to the cylinder or do not make fine spray what are needed for clean burning. Specific diesel garages have testbench where injectors csn be pressurised to check the operation of it. (There are fuel addictives to clean injectors while driving, some believes them some not. I have noted that Lucas Upper Cylinder threatment smoothes idle on my one. I add it twice a year, three full tanks in a row. Some say that BG 44 are good too. However: No any addictive can fix a broken part)

So, original turbo boost / DPF issue can be somewhere else and might not be fixed just changing / repairing them.
Just a though: I hope you have used only low ash engine oils? (type C1)

Old 04-29-2023, 02:30 PM

I have only ever used quantum zgb11 synta c1 5w 30 oil George which is low ash producer. I have had the car since 2020 the probs have only started around a 6 weeks ago.

Old 04-29-2023, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

I have only ever used quantum zgb11 synta c1 5w 30 oil George which is low ash producer. I have had the car since 2020 the probs have only started around a 6 weeks ago.
that was Basra lol , if you only do under 10k miles per year go for the petrol version

Old 04-29-2023, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

I might know of such splendid autobiography v6 petrol version coming up for sale very shortly only 20,000 mile on clock a very scarce car uk side , its beautiful

Old 04-29-2023, 03:15 PM

Would need to sort and sell mine b4 looking at anything else.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Would need to sort and sell mine b4 looking at anything else.
can get a petrol version in the uk no problem but getting one with the lwb with the toys in the back is the problem most were shipped to the states or Middle East were they don't want diesel and I can't blame them , very slow with severe turbo lag , I know , petrol fast as **** from a shovel even in v6 form , mpg is low to mid 20s , about town on highway mid 30s , if you can't afford that , simple you should not be driving a jag , try Vauxhall

Old 04-30-2023, 06:35 AM
Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
that was Basra lol , if you only do under 10k miles per year go for the petrol version
LOL George, read my alias again.
I agree, if you do short journeys and dont drive much, the petrol version will be better choise. There are lot of problems (in every margue) about AdBlue crystallisations in vehices what are not used a lot and this can get costly.

..very slow with severe turbo lag..
George: Been wondered about your bad experience of diesel XJ:s and by this comment i am pretty sure both of yours did have some problems on them, since correctly working 3litre twin turbo dont have lag at any rews. The lag was the reason why they changed the way turbos are working from previous 2.7l twin turbo version. Slowness are ofcource relative. The page 0 to 60 claims to keep data from credible sources and show 5.8sek for 3.0l diesel x351. (i reached 6.0 flat with Race Tech datalogger, but as we know there are lot of variables in game when launch) Ofcource with more powerfull engine will be faster, itīs never ending progress. Something this big, luxyry and appeared to the markets 14 years ago, it is pretty good in its class giving lot of surprices for MB:s BMW:s and Audis. (sure, petrol versions even more... exept 2.0 litre version)

Old 04-30-2023, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vasara
LOL George, read my alias again.
I agree, if you do short journeys and dont drive much, the petrol version will be better choise. There are lot of problems (in every margue) about AdBlue crystallisations in vehices what are not used a lot and this can get costly.

George: Been wondered about your bad experience of diesel XJ:s and by this comment i am pretty sure both of yours did have some problems on them, since correctly working 3litre twin turbo dont have lag at any rews. The lag was the reason why they changed the way turbos are working from previous 2.7l twin turbo version. Slowness are ofcource relative. The page 0 to 60 claims to keep data from credible sources and show 5.8sek for 3.0l diesel x351. (i reached 6.0 flat with Race Tech datalogger, but as we know there are lot of variables in game when launch) Ofcource with more powerfull engine will be faster, itīs never ending progress. Something this big, luxyry and appeared to the markets 14 years ago, it is pretty good in its class giving lot of surprices for MB:s BMW:s and Audis. (sure, petrol versions even more... exept 2.0 litre version)
Hi Vasra, I had 2 diesel versions , first was a 60 plate premium lux model had this car for 3 years , it ran fine never really had any problems just the odd electric one or two , used to get a yellow/amber warning every 6 weeks or so PDF full and took it on a Sunday morning down highway for a good blast to message disappeared. Then got a 64 plate portfolio same for 3 years but never got any dpf warnings at all , both suffered quite badly on the turbo lag , my car before them was the xk 4.2 non supercharged so I missed the petrol quickness, I even bought and fitted a race chip to the 64 portfolio it helped slightly but did not eliminate it , to me it spoiled the performance, after and mostly due to this I reverted to a 60 plate low mileage xkr , wow what a difference , all my cars were bought with under 30,000 miles had that for 3 years then stupidly bought a ftype v6 s convertible nice looking car but boy did I miss the thrill from the xkr , then after less than a year the v6 petrol autobiography very scare car in the uk sold it 2 weeks ago for the full fat v8 autobiography great to be back in a v8 it will be my last jag , you are a very knowledgeable member and I do like your input. George05

Old 04-30-2023, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Had the v6 petrol autobiography less than a year only 10 month lol , love this v8 , ps if you have a child boy or girl but preferably a boy , never mind wasting time and money in putting them through college or university get them trained up as a heating engineer/plumber, they will have no money worries the rest of their lives

Quick Reply: DPF problem