XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

DPF problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 02:24 AM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasara
First of all: If the shop mess up: They must fix their mess without you pay nothing. Most important thing is evidense.
After this kind of **** happens, always remember this: When you dissuss, even face to face, with them turn the record on in your phone. Just voices are enough. (most countrys you have to mention that you record the discussion for your lecal backup)
Now, when you have evidense what shop have done, not done or refuse done, you can always say that you going for lawer if shop is not take care of their responsibles. When court find them quilty: They pay all your expences too. (on our country vehicle insurance includes court cost insurance, so i can call my insurance company lawer if **** happens to my car) All shops (should have) insurance their own to cover their mistages. They of cource are not keen to use it, because their costs will raise.

For sure oil will splash everywhere if overfilled. You will have oil in exhaust for sure and it can take some time before all have burned away. In some cases the catalysator on DPF have not survived from oil bath and that will lead blocked DPF later because burning process do not happen.
Piston rings defently got flush, but it could be that they actually cleaned from soot? It can take some time before everything settle again.
If the engine is now running Ok i think it survived. (380 -460 psi is a new diesel engine. Used one should put out roughly 350 - 450, About 280 psi start to be level when diesel do not start anymore at all)
I would go to the shop and request them to fix your car on state where it was before their axident on oil change. Full engine clean, fix all leaks; Yes: Extra oil in combustion chamber can increase pressure so high that it burts thru injector / glow plug seals. Clean and check of Cat/DPF and replace Cat if it don´t ignite during DPF burning. ( DPF burning process can be started manually to check this by diag tool and temp can be read by the tool too. The DPF burning will not pass if the Cat dont ignite)
This is mostly work, so should not be a problem for them and should not cost you anything. One mess, he cleans.
New Cat/DPF have some value, but working used one will do well. Injector seals are cheap too.
Exhaust side rotor on Turbo is quite tough, so i don´t think harm is done there and if your engine hydrolocked, you would defently hear and feel it.
Great answer sir. Thank you
I had the compression and ool pressure checked just before the oil change. Not sig nj if I ant change in oil pressure…. 1, 5 at operating temp before and 1.4-1.5 not. Cold start at 3 bar
Compressions….. Was different. 2, 3 before…. And about 2 after….. Bar I think. Technical sheet says 1.8 il lowest for car working. So…… don't know.
About the exhaust…… today si Monday.…. A lot of discussion already.…. They sent me a bill for 10 euro for replacing the pcv valve that I bought…. And oil cap also I bought. Had a.… spirited discussion…. About what they wrote on the invoice….. Like I asked from my will for the “ bad pcv “ to be replaced.
So…. Meanwhile…. When I was writing this….. They disassembled the dpf….

Just some small traces of oil on the exhaust. Like you can see. Guess they will clear also.
Checked with my own hand the hot turban side and shaft and blades. Only black dust…. Nothing oily. Seems like I escaped from this situation. After other spirited discussions... On the 0 cost invoice, new one, will be mentioned…”due to overfill” of engine oil when ool was changed.
If injector gasket will leak again, they will replace the gasket.
Being that I only made some 5 km until I took out from the engine 600 ml of oil….. And 10-12 km until it started to smoke from oil on the exhaust dripped from the pcv….. And some lucky gesture from my part to check the level….. Should be ok and avoided something much more.… expensive.
Again….. Guys….. The ones who can and know what to do….. Please…. Check the car after service shop.

Thanks again for the advice….. And.….. If after you see pics have more ideas…. Advices….. Please share.

I HAVE …. ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION!

As you can see in the pics….. The turbo side of the dpf is black and smokey….. Black dust.
And the other side is……. Without any smoke dust or any other coloration. Clean metal?
How is that possible?. Did they do over the week end a cleaning on the far end of the dpf? With some hose water? Because, the exhaust pipe from the dpf on…. Was just as clean. Grey metal and NO SMOKE dust! It was some water drops in the rest of the pipe….. But I thought its condensation!
But pipe from dpf to exit was clean grey metal
IS THAT POSSIBLE???

Last edited by danu99; 09-02-2024 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2024, 02:22 PM
Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

HI,
Yes, thats the magic working DPF does to the diesel engine. The burning of diesel do generate some soot, even modern engine managment systems are very clever with 3-6 layers of atomised fuel spay per each combustion cycle, The soot and any other particles, like dust in air, is trapped by DPF. The trapping is very effective. Once awhile the system will start DPF burning process where this accumulated soot (and any particles) will be burned to the gases by pre-trap catalysator heating the DPF trap up to somewhere 600-650C (1110 - 1200F) temperature. On that temp pretty much soot is totally gone leaving clean exhaust. First diesel DPF systems had an add-on fluid (exsample ELOYS) for injected small amounts to the gasoline. The add-on did not burn in the combustion, but accumulated with the soot to the DPF. Then when catalysator lid up, these add-on particles accumulated on DPF filter increased effective of burning process by sparkling inside of the soot layer..
Now the way to destroy working DPF: It can´t do miracles. It only works when engine is in its working condition. If you have exsample leaking injector or partly blocked, the amount of soot can be so high that the system aren´t able to burn everyting off. DPF will block and need to be washed. If this is needed to do, the washing DO NOT fix the problem. Original propblem have to be fixed as well. Second: DFP filter are very good trapping particles. Any particles. Like sand dust. Sand dust dont burn away. Its just accumulates to the DPF untill the trap is full. Its almost impossible to clean off too. Therefore: Do change airfilter(s) in time and use good quality filters (OEM)

Seems like you did not had oil in exhaust, at least harmful amount. Good!!

Old 09-06-2024, 02:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasara
HI,
Yes, thats the magic working DPF does to the diesel engine. The burning of diesel do generate some soot, even modern engine managment systems are very clever with 3-6 layers of atomised fuel spay per each combustion cycle, The soot and any other particles, like dust in air, is trapped by DPF. The trapping is very effective. Once awhile the system will start DPF burning process where this accumulated soot (and any particles) will be burned to the gases by pre-trap catalysator heating the DPF trap up to somewhere 600-650C (1110 - 1200F) temperature. On that temp pretty much soot is totally gone leaving clean exhaust. First diesel DPF systems had an add-on fluid (exsample ELOYS) for injected small amounts to the gasoline. The add-on did not burn in the combustion, but accumulated with the soot to the DPF. Then when catalysator lid up, these add-on particles accumulated on DPF filter increased effective of burning process by sparkling inside of the soot layer..
Now the way to destroy working DPF: It can´t do miracles. It only works when engine is in its working condition. If you have exsample leaking injector or partly blocked, the amount of soot can be so high that the system aren´t able to burn everyting off. DPF will block and need to be washed. If this is needed to do, the washing DO NOT fix the problem. Original propblem have to be fixed as well. Second: DFP filter are very good trapping particles. Any particles. Like sand dust. Sand dust dont burn away. Its just accumulates to the DPF untill the trap is full. Its almost impossible to clean off too. Therefore: Do change airfilter(s) in time and use good quality filters (OEM)

Seems like you did not had oil in exhaust, at least harmful amount. Good!!
Seems…..
Today I took the car…. 1 mile to the car wash
Once I got there, saw a lot of smoke from engine bay, again. Opened the bonnet and, lots of smoke from the turbo. Not the dpf.
Seems like turbo is smoking.… don't know how its possible. Maybe oil in the turbo…… don't know
Again…. Called the shop, sent the ramp to take the car……. A mess!
Next week, another dismantle, another set of opinions. I am just sick of it all!
All from a overfill from the oil change!
To be honest, Under boost, engine doesn't sound that good. A bit muffled! Checked the egr myself, no oil only dust, from gases.
Don't know….. Really don't know whats wrong!
Piston rings….turbo…..