XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Drive-away locking stopped working after actuator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts
Default Drive-away locking stopped working after actuator replacement

I had the door actuators replaced on both the passenger front and rear doors by my dealer as they were getting lazy and not properly unlocking and the cables were binding. Since then the locking system is not operating as before. The symptoms are (and Drive-way locking it set to "on" in the settings) when starting and driving off the locks try to set and instantly unlock and attempting to lock with dash button or lock lever on driver's door system unlocks. I can lock from outside by pushing any of the buttons on the door handles once, but if I push twice it sets off the alarm rather than just the normal beep-beep. Dealer is fine with me coming back, but its 1 1/2 hours each way and maybe someone here has the answer. One more point and I've double checked the connection I have replaced my cup holder and R&Rd the HVAC Panel.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

There are two variants of the door latch mechanisms - keyless entry and non-keyless entry. Could be that a) the dealer has fitted the wrong ones, or b) the dealer has fitted a mix of the two.
A third possibility is that one or more of the new latches is faulty or the connector hasn't been pushed home properly. If one of the latches isn't functioning, it will affect the others.
When you've locked the car (by pushing the door handle button), go round and try all the doors. One of them may not be locked.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

John Thanks for the response. I went and checked from inside the car using the keyless to lock and unlock the rear passenger door and it is ok. I then sat in the front passenger seat and found using the fob the door latch does not fully lock. The tech must not have properly attached the new cable.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Just got off the phone with my service adviser and they will dispatch a red hat service driver to bring a car out to me and then drive my car into the dealership and then deliver it back to me when it's fixed. Did I say I have and excellent dealer, well I do.