XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Driver Door Won't Latch/Close/Soft Close

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Z20
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Driver Door Won't Latch/Close/Soft Close

This morning I unlocked the car (2014 XJL) sat inside and shut the door but the door never latched to keep the door closed. If i open any of the other doors and "trick" the door latch I can hear the automatic close or soft close but this is not happening with the drivers door. And now I cant shut the door or lock the door or anything. Has anyone experienced this or have an idea what the issue might be? Side note, I saw online a 7 Series owner had a similar issue and removed the fuse for soft close feature and was able to open and shut the door without the feature and then diagnose the problem. This would be useful in case I need to drive the car to have it repaired without falling out. I am not even seeing which fuse controls this in the manual. As I would like to check the fuse first. So if anyone knows the proper fuse and its location I would appreciate that info as well. Like always any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated. Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy the holidays.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Yes do some searches. There is a plug that should have been plugged in when the car was delivered new.
If this is not done then the drivers door will not have soft close.

But if the door will not operate at all then it does sound like a failure of some kind.
Do you have a warranty?

Old 12-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Is your outside door handle flush with the door or sticking out as there was a TSB about the plastic on the handle needing to be filed down?

Old 12-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Z20

It was working fine for 2 years so soft close was connected already, plus I'm not lucky enough to have a fix that easy, lol.
XJsss - the outside door handle is flush with the door. It has rained a decent amount the past dew days and I'm not sure if that played a role in the failure. Took the panel off yesterday evening and everything seemed to pass the eye test and was connected securely. You can hear the door locks working but just not locking or doing anything because the latch operating. Which makes me believe the door latch actuator could be the issue and it is actually cheaper than I thought from the dealer. Plus makes sense that if one is going to fail it would be the one that gets used the most. So I'm grabbing one this afternoon and ill swap it and see if that gets me operational. Not as cheap as Clubairth1's solution but only $130 for the part plus a 6 pack for the labor. Hopefully it's that easy of a fix

Old 12-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Z20

Drove to the dealer today holding onto the door with one hand and wearing my seat belt just in case, lol. Got to the dealer and went to push the door open and it was latched and back to working normal and somehow did a self repair on the 15 min drive. So I guess it could of gotten wet and finally dried out enough to work properly or I have an electrical gremlin. Either way it's a little concerning when things fix themselves. I spoke to the parts manager and he said that he sells the door latch part I was looking for about every 2/3 days (also a rover part) and always has a couple in stock because of how often he sells them. So I grabbed it since I was there but its kind of hard to replace a part that is back to working order and know if I fixed anything.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:17 PM
Received 170 Likes on 134 Posts

When I bought my used 2014 XJ Supercharged with 39XXX miles in July, I could not lock the doors. Car was bought from AutoNation in Dallas. According to dealer, car had two prior owners.

After getting back to Louisiana, I brought the car to Jag dealer in Baton Rouge. An internal failure was present "Central Locking Motor Open". "Driver's front door lock DTC B1108-15 Central Locking Motor Open. Found Internal Latch Failure." "Replaced Driver's Front Door Lock Assy." Invoice listed C2D49433 Latch $386.50 for the latch.

In my particular instance, the Driver's side rear door also had DTC B110A-15 Central Locking Motor Open. I had C2D49439 Latch replaced at the same time. Latch was $376.28.

If your problem starts acting up again, It may be worthwhile to have the offending latch/soft close motor replaced.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem.

I recently had same problem, unable to close rear door would not stay shut. Then drivers door unable to open, the after driving car unable to open door from inside, returned to dealer under warranty, they replaced both door locks as both faulty. Talking to a mechanic and he said it was quite a common fault.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Thanks very much for posting the part numbers and prices.
This is really invaluable to get your car repaired correctly and quickly.