XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Drivetrain bucking or surging under load, growling or grinding while turning- fixed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drivetrain bucking or surging under load, growling or grinding while turning- fixed

First post, so if I did something wrong, let me know. 2013 xjl 3.0 awd. Currently about 125k miles.
I was having issues around 90k miles where I would get a growling sound, almost a grinding sound while turning the vehicle. It started at low speeds like a driveway or parking lot and got worse overtime. It would eventually make the noise while going around a curve in the road at 50mph. Then engine felt like it was surging power while accelerating. And when I took my foot off the gas, it would lightly growl at me while the vehicle coasted. I decided to change the front and rear differential fluid as well as the transfer case fluid. Immediately, the car was running like brand new again. Fast forward about 40k miles later. I have the faintest growling sound again, almost unnoticeable and I have the bucking or surging of power while accelerating again. I decided it couldn’t be the transfer case since I just serviced it 40k miles ago and opted to flush the transmission. The trans flush didn’t help at all. I swapped the t/c fluid again, and the car drives like brand new again. Long post just for a transfer case fluid change, but I wanted to add as many details as possible Incase someone else is having similar issues. I was not able to find any information on these issues when I searched for them.

The following users liked this post:
Keisha Bridgett (04-30-2021)
Old 10-05-2020, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Well, growling or grinding while turning sounds like a possible wheel bearing issue. The surging issue I'm not too sure about...what's the condition of your battery?

Old 10-05-2020, 02:17 PM

Hi. Thanks for the input. The thread I posted was for what I did to fix the problem. I did check out every suspension component before changing the fluids. As well as anything else related to the drivetrain, like brakes, tires, bearings, etc. In the end, the solution for my issue was simply changing the transfer case fluid. About 40k miles later, the problem started coming back. Another transfer case fluid change sorted it out again. It seems I’m going to need to ad the t/c fluid change to my routine maintenance list

Old 10-05-2020, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

The transfer case fluid is supposed to be changed every 50K miles.

The following users liked this post:
Shwampthing (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 06:57 PM

Mark SF Thanks, I didn’t know the service interval was so low. Makes me feel a tad bit better. I was sure my t/c was just warning me it would be grenading soon. The fluid was dark, but it wasn’t full of metal bits. Just enough fine grindings to give it that fancy metallic look under a flashlight.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Was the T/C fluid an easy DIY?

Old 10-06-2020, 04:43 PM

Yes. Very easy. The fill and drain plug are a little hard to get to with trans/transfer case support bracket in place. I decided to to place a jack under the t/c to support it and I removed the bracket. It’s pretty straight forward.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hmmmmm

Originally Posted by Shwampthing
First post, so if I did something wrong, let me know. 2013 xjl 3.0 awd. Currently about 125k miles.
I was having issues around 90k miles where I would get a growling sound, almost a grinding sound while turning the vehicle. It started at low speeds like a driveway or parking lot and got worse overtime. It would eventually make the noise while going around a curve in the road at 50mph. Then engine felt like it was surging power while accelerating. And when I took my foot off the gas, it would lightly growl at me while the vehicle coasted. I decided to change the front and rear differential fluid as well as the transfer case fluid. Immediately, the car was running like brand new again. Fast forward about 40k miles later. I have the faintest growling sound again, almost unnoticeable and I have the bucking or surging of power while accelerating again. I decided it couldn’t be the transfer case since I just serviced it 40k miles ago and opted to flush the transmission. The trans flush didn’t help at all. I swapped the t/c fluid again, and the car drives like brand new again. Long post just for a transfer case fluid change, but I wanted to add as many details as possible Incase someone else is having similar issues. I was not able to find any information on these issues when I searched for them.
Believe it or not, mine did the bucking bronco dance, once, and never again but mine is rear wheel drive. I have no idea what that was but it never happened again.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:08 PM

Yeah, a one and done would have me stumped too. Was it recent or been a while since it happened?

Old 10-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Thanks much for posting your repair!
Very useful and I sure wish Jag had offered the AWD option for my XJR!!
It would have been a great addition!

Old 10-21-2020, 05:14 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Have you checked your motor mounts and also the transmission mounts? Most need replacing at this mileage.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:50 PM

Great suggestions. Yes, all mounts, bushings, joints, etc. look like they are brand new. Thanks

Old 10-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bucking

Originally Posted by Shwampthing
Yeah, a one and done would have me stumped too. Was it recent or been a while since it happened?
It has been years, but it scared the hell out of me, on the parkway it started jumping around and shaking, brought it down to about 45mph and then it stopped, brought it back up to speed and it stopped, it was in the pouring rain, but it's never done it again. I have no idea what it was...