XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Driving without spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driving without spare tire

This weekend, I used my car to go to a friend birthday party. We were four adults and one child in the car. 400 kgs are the maximum load allowed for the car. In addition to more psi added 35.5 and 34.5 psi for the front tires and the rear tires, I put away temporarily the spare tire for the weight to remain under the maximum load allowed. The car remained sporty and handled very well the road with five people inside. I was impressed. I usually drive with my wife and my two children. Driving without the spare tire is a better experience. Now, I am thinking about taking away permanently the spare tire and put instead two run flat kit in case my tires run flat. Has anyone in this forum tried driving without their spare tire? What is your experience?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I can tell you that driving without a spare for long distances is asking for trouble and of course a huge bill if stranded on the roadside. It may be okay in the city to drive without the spare and a can of fix-a-flat (a lot of tire shops charge more to fix a flat if chemical tire sealants are used temporarily). I've driven without a spare and I must say it was a nerve racking experience and I'd not want to do it again but we all have our comfort levels.

If you're comfortable with the worst case scenario, I say go for it. If you're the cautious type, I'd say keep the spare and play it safe.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM

Chris, thank you for your reply. I still have the spare tire inside the car. 95 per cent of my trips are within 18 miles of my home. I agree with you, you never know when things happen. Thierry

Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I believe that I've read somewhere that fix-a-flat will destroy the tpms sensor. I'd avoid that option if I could.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thiery, you're quite welcome.

Yes, the Fix-A-Flat wreaks havoc on TPMS sensors. Another reason to steer clear if possible. I've not used it on my vehicles with TPMS sensors, as I don't think it's worth the price of a sensor.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any knowledge of the crash-worthiness design features on Jaguars specifically, but some vehicles use the wheel from the spare tire as part of the designed structure for handling a collision. On the automobiles I do have experience with, the owner's manual specifically states to place the flat tire into the tire well until it can be repaired (although some do not say why). I do not know if the Jaguar manual has a similar statement, but if you are going to drive with that spare tire well empty, you might want to check into whether that might compromise some of the designed safety structure, especially in the event of a rear end collision.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar1972
............ I am thinking about taking away permanently the spare tire and put instead two run flat kit in case my tires run flat. Has anyone in this forum tried driving without their spare tire? What is your experience?
Many forum members with Jaguar models that are supplied without a spare tyre but instead have the 'Instant Mobility System' (sealant and compressor) have gone to great lengths to obtain a spare wheel and tools!

Graham

Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Thank you all for your helpful comments and help me consider the many dimensions that I have not considered. I will keep the spare tire in the car. I will look at other ways of improving performance. I recently upgraded my tires to the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 970AS. I am using since the last oil change European engine oil formula Castrol 0w-30 and noises and shakings are now reduced by at least half and the car runs much smoother.