XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

DRL's and front lights.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 05:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DRL's and front lights.

I have several questions. First, can I turn on the DRL's and maybe other functions like the oil change schedule on my 2011 XJL with an OBD tool and what type must it be? What is the purpose of each of the lights in the Headlight assembly. I cannot seem to get the small outboard lights or the rope lights to come on, Does anyone know why there is no front fog light function on the 2011 but it has rear fog lights? Thanks I am still learning about the car but really like it.

Old 02-09-2023, 12:24 PM
Received 572 Likes on 354 Posts

With a normal OBD no I don't think you can enable features, typically you need a tool such as SDD (Jaguar Tool) for this purpose. I think some of the higher end 'OBD' tools can do some things but these can lead to issues down the road since the cars build file gets out of synch - I had to replace a keyless module because somebody had been playing with keys and modules - the car knew the module was the wrong one for the car based on part number and refused to accept new keys or clear the old ones not in my posession ( I always clear keys that I don't have because I am so trusting of sellers - not ).

As for the lights themselves it depends on those installed but it sounds like you have adaptive - in which case the small outers will come on below a certain speed at a given steering angle - they're cornering lights, one of them is a marker light, there is then a headlight and the indicator. The main and high beam is done using an internal shutter.

The LED's under the light should come on in the first position after 'off' or when the ignition is on if DRL's are enabled. They remain on I believe in the second position - not sure about when in Auto - never actually looked.

Pretty certain the X351 never had a fog light option / extra.

Last edited by BenKenobi; 02-09-2023 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KiwiJon (02-10-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 12:59 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

In the early cars the DLR when enabled only puts on the lowbeam headlights, I bought a brand new one in 2011 and asked if they could be enabled, when they told me this I said do not bother. The strip of LED's are not very bright anyway so not really like a DRL but more as a "side" light
Can you actually see a bulb in the outboard cornering light, the main units look the same regardless as to whether you have cornering adaptive units fitted. Do your headlights "steer " round corners as you turn the steering wheel.

There was no option for front fog lights at all on the x351

KiwiJon (02-10-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:04 PM
Received 572 Likes on 354 Posts

Learn something new, my DRL's aren't enabled - just assumed the LED strip was the DRL, had I read further this is actually detailed in the workshop manual

Old 02-09-2023, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone, this is very interesting. I have owned 5 XJ sedans of various years and they all had fog lights until this one yet it has rear fog lights. It looks like there are no bulbs in the corner lights, no DRL's, and the "rope light" I have never seen operate. I guess I will have to go by the *********** to have the DRL's activated. I appreciate your help.

roviw (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 08:51 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

There are several threads here regarding successful examples of aftermarket scanners capable of resetting the service reminder on early X351. If you ask a JLR dealer to enable DRLs on your car, he will merely configure the car to activate the low-beam headlamps (and all the other lamps associated with this function) when the ignition if On. Frankly, I think you're better off, safety-wise, forgoing this. In bright sunlight, running around with the taillamps On is counter-productive, as it diminishes the contrast between brakes ON/OFF.

There are at least two better options for 2011 XL Daylight Running Lamps,