XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

early 2011 XJ software update

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 AM
ozy
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default early 2011 XJ software update

I thought I had seen a reference somewhere on here to a software update for the electronics/audio/video/bluetooth/etc. system on early 2011 XJs. I have an early 2011 XJ, but my service advisor said he didn't know about any such update.

I've been using an Android phone with the audio system. The phone features work fine, including phonebook, but when using Pandora and Google Music to play things through the audio system, the title/track info isn't passed through to the screen. The bluetooth audio sounds fine though. I was hoping there was a software update to address this.

Am I wrong that there was a software update for early 2011 XJs?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Be lucky you can connect your phone at all via BT. I cannot stream audio wirelessly from my Droid 3. Iphones and Ipad's work fine... but not my phone. I have to connect it via the AUX cord... it's a PITA.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ozy
I thought I had seen a reference somewhere on here to a software update for the electronics/audio/video/bluetooth/etc. system on early 2011 XJs. I have an early 2011 XJ, but my service advisor said he didn't know about any such update.

I've been using an Android phone with the audio system. The phone features work fine, including phonebook, but when using Pandora and Google Music to play things through the audio system, the title/track info isn't passed through to the screen. The bluetooth audio sounds fine though. I was hoping there was a software update to address this.

Am I wrong that there was a software update for early 2011 XJs?
Sit tight. There are updates coming in the not too distant future. I can't speak to what each and every one will be, but the improvements will be extensive. This car has been designed such that upgrades to features and functions will be possible over the life of the vehicle.

I know it's hard, especially if you have functional quirks to deal with, but be patient. There is hope they will be resolved.

Cheers,

Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 PM

I know you said you couldn't say, but are there any fun improvements? Like Pandora streaming? Or are they all IT fixes for this and that.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 PM
ozy
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I know you said you couldn't say, but are there any fun improvements? Like Pandora streaming? Or are they all IT fixes for this and that.
I have a question about your question. You ask if an update will bring Pandora streaming.

Are you wondering if the head unit itself will stream Pandora? That would require it to have an Internet connection, which it doesn't.

However, a smartphone does have an Internet connection, so if you have a smartphone with a Pandora app, it should work through bluetooth to the head unit.

I have a Motorola atrix (android phone) and it can stream Pandora to the head unit already. There are two problems. The first is the same problem as with the google music app--no track/artist info transmitted to the head unit. The second is that the 'next track' (>>) button on the steering wheel, which should trigger Pandora on the phone to skip to a new song, instead seems to somehow cause the phone to switch from Pandora to google music and play whatever track is next there.

I'm hopeful a software update will solve these two issues.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I wasn't trying to be evasive, I haven't yet come across any information about actual additional functions. Right now the emphasis appears to be on IT fixes as you put it; fixing things that are obvious quirks or faults in the operation of the system and screen. I know there will be some instrument software changes as well, but specifically what changes, I don't know.

My guess is though, that as time goes on and things like streaming become more ubiquitous, those functions will be considered.

Cheers,

Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Ozy I was referring to having in dash Pandora/Spotify/Audio access on the main infotainment screen and the driver screen. Things like being able to thumb through your Ipod/USB (which I use A LOT), without having to turn my attention to the center console - would be a huge plus. This car is essentially one big Ipad/Ipod/TV with 90% of the features locked... I just wanna jailbreak my car so to speak!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if a software upgrade to my rear entertainment system is needed because it doesn't play store bought DVD's and it only recognizes ripped DVD's half the time the other half it throws a device error...