XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Echo start/ stop issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Echo start/ stop issues

Hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2013 X351 SWB and have on numerous occasions been waiting at a stop light with the echo engaged/ foot on brake and when the light changed, took my foot off the brake and the engine did something funny. The gear selector light was flashing in drive and the car was completely unresponsible. I had to physically dial the car to park and restart the engine by pressing the button. I've taken it to jaguar 2x as its still under warranty, but they said they couldn't replicate the fault, so there was nothing they could do besides reinstall the firmware. Along with that on more than one occasions I've been at a light and taken my foot off the brake and before putting it on the gas the engine has sputtered and died. during these episodes the gear selector dial recesses into the console and forces me to manually restart the car. Any assistance with this matter would be a great help. Thanks

Old 08-29-2016, 02:26 PM

eco start/stop

Old 08-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

Take a look at this thread that is under XF cars
XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2008 - Onwards

Can stop/start be tuned out by dealer or anyone? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...anyone-101357/

Old 08-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,337 Likes on 3,473 Posts

Chicago winters take a toll on batteries. You didn't mention how many miles on your XJ and if the batteries have ever been replaced. You also didn't say if you drive it every day for trips that take 30 minutes or more. I presume they are the original batteries and that you do not use a battery maintainer.

First thing I would do is test the condition of both of your batteries. The small one is for the stop-start system, and if it is weak that is probably the cause of your problem.

The stop-start system default is "on" whenever you start the engine. Try switching the stop-start system off manually whenever you start the car for a few days to help recharge that battery. Then see what happens. If your car continues to stall out even with the stop-start system turned off, it's probably not the stop-start system.

I've had no problems with the stop-start system on my XJ. I have 36K miles on the original batteries and use a CTEK MUS4.3 battery maintainer once a week to make sure that both batteries are fully charged. Most of my trips are short and probably don't fully charge the batteries. Low batteries are the cause of many electrical gremlins.

I always lock my XJ even when I park in my garage to shut off Convenience Mode. Otherwise, some of the computers will continue to stay on and drain the battery until they automatically shut down.

The following users liked this post:
lcmjaguar (08-29-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raphael, I don't have a solution, but have a similar problem with my 2015 XJL Portfolio. It has been happening since I bought the car new 1 1/2 years ago. At various times after driving a bit (& having the ECO button pressed -I like the responsiveness) I come to a stop light or sign, foot on brake, then when ready to go pressed accelerator - and nothing happens. This has happened over six times. Jaguar has worked on it three separate times (in fact, it's in the shop now for this) and are really trying to fix it, but don't seem to know what is wrong. So far they rely on updating the software and return it to me, but it happens again. Once they tried disconnecting the 2nd battery (the one that runs the accessories in the Economy mode) and it seemed to run fine, but then I was told my warranty would be voided if this was the solution. I have 16,500 miles on it, live in Texas (warm) & love my car... but when I rolled out onto a crazy busy frontage road, during one episode, and had to put the car into Park before it would drive again, is scary. I may post this as a separate problem, but I thought you would find this interesting.

lcmjaguar (09-10-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by katlo
Raphael, I don't have a solution, but have a similar problem with my 2015 XJL Portfolio. It has been happening since I bought the car new 1 1/2 years ago. At various times after driving a bit (& having the ECO button pressed -I like the responsiveness) I come to a stop light or sign, foot on brake, then when ready to go pressed accelerator - and nothing happens. This has happened over six times. Jaguar has worked on it three separate times (in fact, it's in the shop now for this) and are really trying to fix it, but don't seem to know what is wrong. So far they rely on updating the software and return it to me, but it happens again. Once they tried disconnecting the 2nd battery (the one that runs the accessories in the Economy mode) and it seemed to run fine, but then I was told my warranty would be voided if this was the solution. I have 16,500 miles on it, live in Texas (warm) & love my car... but when I rolled out onto a crazy busy frontage road, during one episode, and had to put the car into Park before it would drive again, is scary. I may post this as a separate problem, but I thought you would find this interesting.
Yeah, that sounds like the issue. I think it could be the fuel injector. I've noticed that sometimes when I take my foot off the brake after stopping and don't immediately press the gas the car pauses for a millisecond and sometimes before restarting the engine will sputter out. When that happens (from what I can remember) the gear select recesses and the vehicle has to be restarted. The second manner that the vehicle dies while stopped with the "D" flashing and becomes unresponsive, forcing me to power the vehicle off and restart, I've not been able to figure out at all

katlo (09-11-2016)