XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Eco Auto Stop/Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I received my Stop/Start battery today. That seemed fairly quick. will install in a couple of days.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,318 Likes on 3,464 Posts

Hi Robert,

Because I don't drive far enough every day, I keep both of my Jags on battery maintainers. All sorts of electrical gremlins happen when the primary battery isn't fully charged, including failure of the stop-start system. If the primary battery isn't fully charged the stop-start system won't work. Before replacing the secondary stop-start battery, make sure that the primary battery fully charged.

If you don't already do so, I recommend keeping your XJ on a CTEK MUS4.3 battery maintainer whenever it's parked overnight at home. I haven't had any electrical problems since I installed mine, and use it to charge both batteries. Installation is easy and I have quick connect pigtails on both batteries to make it easy to connect the charger. Here's how I installed it:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-130801/

I'm sure that you're already aware of this, but many XJ owners aren't. This is for their benefit, so as to minimize electrical problems.

Best regards,
Stuart

Old 12-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

The CTEK-brand battery maintainers have a lot of mentions on this site. I just received mine, version 5.0. The manuals for both your 4.3 and my 5.0 state that they are for batteries up to 100 Ah capacity. All Jaguars on this site have OE or aftermarket batteries of at least 700 Ah. Am I correct in thinking that the 4A output of these chargers is sufficient to "float" batteries in good condition, but not suitable for reviving flat or dead ones?

Old 12-07-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by Baltobernie
The CTEK-brand battery maintainers have a lot of mentions on this site. I just received mine, version 5.0. The manuals for both your 4.3 and my 5.0 state that they are for batteries up to 100 Ah capacity. All Jaguars on this site have OE or aftermarket batteries of at least 700 Ah. Am I correct in thinking that the 4A output of these chargers is sufficient to "float" batteries in good condition, but not suitable for reviving flat or dead ones?
I think you are mixing up amp hours (Ah) with cold cranking cranking amps (CCA).
All OEM Jag batteries these days are AGM designed for stop/start operation with at least 90 Ah and at least 750 CCA.
Your CTEKs will be perfectly OK for maintaining the batteries and given enough time on charge they will revive a flat battery (but not a completely flat battery).

The following users liked this post:
Baltobernie (12-07-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I will also highly recommend CTEK battery maintainers with one caveat; If the battery should ever drain out on you while using this device, check the pig tail connections at the car battery itself. The positive connection had worked loose over time. Time on a designated battery charger & a trip to NAPA where this Premium battery was purchased 5 years ago to get tested showed that it was in “New Condition”. The Napa guys also told me that it was warranted for 6 years and were amazed at its test performance. The CTEK has a valid process that Prolongs batteries over simply trickle charging. I also learned that 2007 + XK’s will let you know your battery is not strong enough to start your car by automatically turning on your parking lights & keeping them on until you charge the battery. Yet another quirky British thing.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:35 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat
James47,

Delighted you got it fixed so easily and didn't need any software updates!

Perhaps we should start an IL XJ owners club?

wombat
Wombat, a good idea! I have often wondered about joining the Milwaukee of the Chicago area Jaguar Car Clubs. Don't know much about them. Here in northwest Illinois we live in the unglaciated region of northwestern Illinois and southwestern Wisconsin. We have a lot of scenic roads through rolling hills.

Old 12-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing Auto Start Stop Covered in CPO?

Hi There everyone. I was hoping someone may be able to enlighten me on an issue with the Jaguar CPO and their customer service (my dealership is Hornburg of Los Angeles, but not sure if that matters much). The dealership provided me this list of issues/items that are included in the CPO extended warranty. It says that included is: "JTB00492NAS2 - Auto Stop/Start System Inoperative". But my service rep is telling me that since batteries are not included, and my auto start/stop is inoperative due to the battery, they have to charge me even though i'm still under CPO. They want to bill me Part $243.90 Labor $205.00 to do the repair that would fix the auto start/stop. Based on what they wrote in the CPO list is seems it should be covered. Anyone have any advice on how to approach this with the service center? Much appreciated any isights. Thank you - Andrew

Attached Files
Old 12-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Your SA is correct the batteries are not a covered item. If a module was bad it would be covered. As is set out in this thread there is a reasonable priced battery to be had through the eBay link https://www.ebay.com/itm/15287241381...L:COSI:US:1123 that costs @ $172.00. A simple install and stop start should start working after a few days of driving. The longer your drives the sooner Stop/Start should start to work.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:13 PM

XJsss, thank you very much for your reply. Noted and appreciated!

Old 12-17-2019, 09:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by juicedrinka11
Hi There everyone. I was hoping someone may be able to enlighten me on an issue with the Jaguar CPO and their customer service (my dealership is Hornburg of Los Angeles, but not sure if that matters much). The dealership provided me this list of issues/items that are included in the CPO extended warranty. It says that included is: "JTB00492NAS2 - Auto Stop/Start System Inoperative". But my service rep is telling me that since batteries are not included, and my auto start/stop is inoperative due to the battery, they have to charge me even though i'm still under CPO. They want to bill me Part $243.90 Labor $205.00 to do the repair that would fix the auto start/stop. Based on what they wrote in the CPO list is seems it should be covered. Anyone have any advice on how to approach this with the service center? Much appreciated any isights. Thank you - Andrew
Hey brother. That small start/stop battery isn’t a warranty item, however, if you purchase the battery it is a 10 minute install. This will at least save you the labor costs. I’ve personally replaced mine. It’s quick and easy. No issues. Although a dealer will tell you that it needs to be programmed, it’s not required. The vehicle will detect the voltage of the new battery, and the start/stop function will begin working again.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:18 PM

XJsss and ABrice - thank you. I think I can change the battery, but quick question - the one in the link from XJsss comes up as shipping from Europe. Has anyone found one that works that is located in the USA or ships on Amazon? Ideally one with a return policy just in case. Let me know if y'all know of any other options. Thank you again - Andrew

Old 12-18-2019, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Nope the only source is Europe as Jaguar is the only source$$$ available in the US,

Old 12-18-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Nope the only source is Europe as Jaguar is the only source$$$ available in the US,

Thank you

Old 12-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello Juice,
We tried Amazon and lots of other stateside sources for the E151 battery and no one had them. The European source worked fine.
Best to you. Jim and Gwynne

Old 12-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Thanks James!