XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

The Electric XJ Has Been Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 08:33 AM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts
Default The Electric XJ Has Been Cancelled

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/jaguar-xj-axed-under-electric-focused-business-plan

After all of that testing and development, no more flagship sedan from Jaguar?

Old 02-15-2021, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

woah, thats pretty big news. getting rid of the XJ is pretty huge....at least from a label perspective

at first i was thinking maybe it was just the electric XJ they were getting rid of, but it ended up reading as if they were getting rid of the XJ overall...focusing on SUV's and smaller body cars. sad

Old 02-15-2021, 09:28 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

"Although the nameplate may be retained, the planned Jaguar XJ replacement will not form part of the line-up, as the brand looks to realise its unique potential.."

Sad but not completely unexpected...

Looks like their new goal of 100% electric Jags and 60% LR in 5 years doesn't include the new XJ: despite last year's spy pics.

A 2024 all electric LR vehicle might use the J-Pace platform?

I would happily trade my x260 for this Bertone-dedigned B99 as an XJ.. electric though? No way.. range still too limiting.

Last edited by F1Virginia; 02-15-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:37 AM

I'm not sure I understand the demand for only-electric crossover Jaguars.

Yes, the vast majority of people treat cars as appliances and couldn't care less what's under the hood.

Are those the same people that are going to:
  • Pay an electrician to run 220V 30A service and install a garage charger
  • Deal with the issues of out of home charging (although this will be solved in the future)
  • Store their car in a garage, remember these people don't care about cars and probably fill their garage with crap
  • Buy a Jaguar?

Yes, offer electric or PHEV options. Yes, sell a upper middle class soccer mom cruiser. But canceling your marquee? Going full tilt on electric?

I can't see how this is anything but a losing strategy for a fledgling brand.

The following 2 users liked this post by silvertonesx24:
Ken Dreger (06-13-2021), leadfoot4 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Saw this morning. Very sad. Mine is 4 years old and I was thinking about a 2021.
https://www.motor1.com/news/488087/j...come-ev-brand/

Old 02-15-2021, 02:40 PM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
I'm not sure I understand the demand for only-electric crossover Jaguars.

Yes, the vast majority of people treat cars as appliances and couldn't care less what's under the hood.

Are those the same people that are going to:
  • Pay an electrician to run 220V 30A service and install a garage charger
  • Deal with the issues of out of home charging (although this will be solved in the future)
  • Store their car in a garage, remember these people don't care about cars and probably fill their garage with crap
  • Buy a Jaguar?

Yes, offer electric or PHEV options. Yes, sell a upper middle class soccer mom cruiser. But canceling your marquee? Going full tilt on electric?

I can't see how this is anything but a losing strategy for a fledgling brand.
The UK wants zero emissions new vehicles by 2030. This has to be a pre-emptive on that. Not sure there is enough infrastructure and want for all electric fleet. Time will tell. This is a goal, but i could see them stepping back if they hit snags.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

I understand the want for electric vehicles in large cities. But, reality is something different. There are going to need to be major changes to how electric vehicles are powered and manufactured for them to be truly green. When you look at cradle to grave emissions, one of the most polluting vehicles is ironically, the Toyota Prius. The amount of work and damage to the environment to get enough lithium for the batteries is mind boggling. You get into some of the more rare elements that they are making the new batteries out of and that "cost" goes up even more. But hey, I can feel good about myself because what I do is not polluting. This is where the current "green" is mind boggling when you look at what they are trying to do. Look at what it takes to manufacture some of this stuff and it will make you question why are we going down this path. While I will admit that I am a little biased because I work in that industry, nuclear answers a lot of questions with a much smaller footprint on the environment. You step up to the newer salt reactors that they are looking at, the amount of environmental damage will drop significantly.

You want something to really shake your head at, see what they are doing with the old blades of windmills now that they are at the end of their life. It is almost cringe worthy. But, I will let you find your own sources on that just so I am not leading people down a wrong path. I am still awaiting a flywheel car (the technology from a few years ago had flywheels spinning at 300,000 RPS (yes, per second). The amount of stored energy is unbelievable. Still spun up by electricity, powers the car via a generator. So, we are using the current technology with just a slight twist. Then the amount of power you have is only limited by the number of flywheel segments that you put into the vehicle. You need a 40 mile range, you use say 1 flywheel. You need 200 miles, you put in 5 flywheels.

Sad to see that the XJ has officially met its end. Would have loved to have seen one of the B99's make it to the market. I think they had a real seller there. I know I would have bought one. Guess I will be finding a 2019, investing some money to freshen it up and drive it till it will not drive any more.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
kroache (02-15-2021), XJ8JR (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 06:47 PM

I wonder if it will be like when GM killed the Chevy Camaro. Not as iconic as the XJ is to Jaguar (that would be Corvette), but still the death of a significant nameplate.

But eventually, it came back. I would be surprised if ours are the last, ever.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,352 Likes on 3,481 Posts

It's politics - the New World Order to stop pollution, reduce global warming, and save the planet. Politics drives business decisions and survival of the fittest.

JLR and its parent Tata must be profitable to survive, unlike governments that can continually spend other people's money. Governments have the power to determine who will be winners and and who will be losers.

The following 5 users liked this post by Stuart S:
jya (02-16-2021), Kodiak (02-19-2021), leadfoot4 (02-17-2021), mikebaker3 (02-18-2021), Spikepaga (04-13-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

By 2035 I will no longer care. Nor most likely even remember.

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (06-13-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 02:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been participating in similar discussions on other forums and make the following comments :

Like many on this forum, I am a Jaguar enthusiast, but I have never understood the policy that the Jaguar Management have followed in recent years which has been largely a "me too" SUV strategy, evidenced by the fact that the last three brand new vehicles have been the F Pace, E Pace plus I Pace. This marketing confusion is highlighted in the fact that JLR have two brands - Land Rover which has a history of developing SUV vehicles and Jaguar which has a heritage of sleek, performance saloon/sports cars - so why not play to those strengths?

Also anecdotally I have a friend who works in a JLR dealership who tells me that many of the Jaguar SUV sales were made to previous Land Rover customers so the business was often not growing but simply transferring between the two brands.

I really believe that it is a mistake not to progress with the planned electric XJ particularly after the investment that has already gone into the development - I know hindsight is easy but if Jaguar had launched a Tesla 3 type saloon ( one of the best selling electric vehicles in the world proving that saloons are still popular) rather that the I Pace it would have been consistent with its core brand identity of building sleek performance saloon/sports cars.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:15 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

This is sad news. Looks like my x351 is my third and final XJ. I better take care of it!

TJ

Maxpower (02-18-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 500 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by tjankovs
This is sad news. Looks like my x351 is my third and final XJ. I better take care of it!

TJ
Agreed. Although we didn't know this, at the time, it's a good thing that our 2016 XJ has never seen any winter driving......

Maxpower (02-18-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 04:05 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Will definitely be keeping mine. Had the VAP tune put on it and while I have always enjoyed the car it really transformed it. Mine is really special for me as it has the rear seat package and a full leather headliner other than the sunshades for the sunroofs.

The following 3 users liked this post by MV Rider:
etheliters (02-18-2021), Maxpower (02-18-2021), Tony R (02-18-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 11:59 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Tata Motors owns Jaguar. Tata is an Indian company. India & China are the 2 biggest polluters in the world. Don't understand why Tata would care about PC electrics & zero emissions. Why keep losing money to switch to unproven platform? Not sure if consumers in First world countries would pay $100K+ for electric luxury sedans, where Tesla already dominates.
Glad my wife bought the very last gas engine 2019 XJ, should last awhile & hopefully they'll figure it out in 10 yrs...

Old 02-23-2021, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 500 Likes on 298 Posts

Just received the latest issue of 'Motor Trend' magazine in the mail, and they published an article about Bentley going all-electric, within the next 8-10 years, or so......

Old 02-23-2021, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

So. let me get this right.
Jaguar spend £100 million developing an all-electric XJ saloon. The new CEO announces Jaguar vehicles will become all-electric in the future and also announces cancellation of the new all-electric XJ !! Something not quite right there, surely ?

NavyBlue (02-26-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:04 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
So. let me get this right.
Jaguar spend £100 million developing an all-electric XJ saloon. The new CEO announces Jaguar vehicles will become all-electric in the future and also announces cancellation of the new all-electric XJ !! Something not quite right there, surely ?
yes, I suspect their new EV direction includes a total rework of that car, which perhaps used parts or design from a partner / supplier that no longer is so. Therefore, with your new suppliers / licensed technology, new vehicles.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Add to chaosphereIX the factories are being revamped and Castle Bromwich is going to not be assembling cars any longer and the production line where XJs were built is being taken out for the facilities new role..

Old 02-23-2021, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Juast to add that a battery factory is now planned to be built at the old Coventry Airport. This will be near to the JLR factories at Solihull and Castle Bromwich. Obviously for the Halewood factory near Liverpool, it's a bit further, but not all that much. Parts for cars are made all over Europe and trucked and railed around.

Quick Reply: The Electric XJ Has Been Cancelled