Engine light on, brand new car

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:28 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Tell them you want a new car!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by superflysocal
Ok, they have replaced the fuel injector and a spark plug, and it is still misfiring. I am now officially worried.

If anybody here can offer any further input, please do.
Don't worry. It is not your problem it is the dealers and Jaguars. Keep the loaner end tell them to keep working until they pinpoint the exact cause. Give them reasonable time as would have to under lemon law anyways. I am not a tech but I still believe it is not a major issue but a matter of identifying the real cause. they shouldn't bother you with details. They should give the car back to you after fixed correctly. Once done you likely will love the car.
At least that was my experience and I admitt I was worried for a short while, too.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Lemon law won't apply to something that wasn't brought in at least three times for the same fix, and then even then, it has to be something that can/will threaten the safety of the vehicle. And even then, you are required to bring it to them a fourth time, where they are allowed 15 days I believe to tr and fix it again... AND, if you did not already file a claim to 'lemon' it... Guess what, you have just not given them a fifth chance to fix your vehicle. My first vehicle was replaced... After 6 months and 15 trips in. And that was after documenting it with video th entire time. You'd have a vey difficult, if not impossible time trying to file a claim now since its something trivial in comparison to other issues.

Didn't see a reply regarding the last five of you VIN - pre 2000 vins were plagued with problems.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Fjk
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Check the Texas DMV website for the Lemon Law rules. Every state seems to take a little different twist to procedures and ground rules. ie: number of repair attempts , What is covered. Texas law covers qualifying trailers as well. Problems do not have to be safety related.

Lemon Law

Old 12-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So what if they dont give you the car back and just take forever to repair it. How would that be counted as the number of times car is brought in for repair? One?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Fjk

As long as the repair does not exceed 30 days.......Sec.2301.603

(A) the vehicle is out of service for repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more days in the 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first, following the date of original delivery to the owner; Note that it is cumulative.

The servicing dealer can, by providing a loaner car, extend the 30 days...

Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 AM

they are now going to replace an engine cylinder head...

base on what people have reported here I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have them replace fuel injector again (could have gotten another bad injector?) before trying to take engine apart.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fjk
As long as the repair does not exceed 30 days.......Sec.2301.603

(A) the vehicle is out of service for repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more days in the 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first, following the date of original delivery to the owner; Note that it is cumulative.

The servicing dealer can, by providing a loaner car, extend the 30 days...

can you link where you are getting these details of the lemon law?
thanks

Old 12-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Fjk

Should be all right here: Lemon Law

Old 01-11-2012, 05:01 PM

coming up to two months now and still no fix....

Old 01-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Fjk

Sir, You have more patience than I.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:16 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

What was the final outcome of this?

I have a new '12 XKR with a misfire problem, the car throws no CEL but the dealership and Jaguar have verified the mis several times, this problem like the OP's started from week one. Car is in shop now. The mis is a cold engine condition which has me concerned it may be due to something internal as when the engine heats up the metal expands and no more mis.

My experience with this car has been quite poor so far (12 defects found in first week or so from new) but the service director has been awesome.

Last edited by RJC; 04-29-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

take it out with jaguar not us customers. It's not our fault you don't get paid.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:13 PM
RJC

Not sure what you mean?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

That TSB doesn't work for nothing. Think about it, You have a direct injected engine, how are you going to hook it up for one. Maybe through the low pressure side? I don't know. I've personally had to put new injectors in them, more specifically cylinder number 8 and or 7. So chances are they will probably put new injectors in them for which ever cylinder is missing.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 PM
RJC

Thanks. Hoping it's something not too serious.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by aceeg
take it out with jaguar not us customers. It's not our fault you don't get paid.
He's refferring to me RJC, and my post on what we as techs do to FIX customer cars, even when we're short changed from Jaguar. I wasnt taking out anything other than sharing what we do and go through to fix YOUR cars. was looking for alittle empathy and inside understanding, but your comments towards me seem to be, shall we say an AXE GRIND about issue you have with Jaguar and your car. At least thats my opinion since reading some of your posts.You wanna bitch about your Jaguar car, I occassonally bitch about my Jaguar job, seems like a fair trade to me, afterall its JAGUAR FORUMS. all things about Jaguar, not just cars cheers

Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM
RJC

Oh ok, got it.
As ive mentioned several times in the xk forum the service guys at my dealership have been very good especially the service director. I always have a dialogue with the tech and shop foreman and after they get to know me they realize I know quite a bit about cars and we have a mutual respect for each other. i think this time I got a real problem child car and it's been that way from day one, I hope TaTa does the right thing and finally offers a replacement; if not then it's "ta ta" for TaTa.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 PM
RJC
Default Superflysocal

What was the final resolution for your misfire superflysocal?

Last edited by RJC; 04-30-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
He's refferring to me RJC, and my post on what we as techs do to FIX customer cars, even when we're short changed from Jaguar. I wasnt taking out anything other than sharing what we do and go through to fix YOUR cars. was looking for alittle empathy and inside understanding, but your comments towards me seem to be, shall we say an AXE GRIND about issue you have with Jaguar and your car. At least thats my opinion since reading some of your posts.You wanna bitch about your Jaguar car, I occassonally bitch about my Jaguar job, seems like a fair trade to me, afterall its JAGUAR FORUMS. all things about Jaguar, not just cars cheers
Again please accept my apology just had a rough week and then this noise comes back and I took it out on you, that is no excuse, sorry.

Quick Reply: Engine light on, brand new car