XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine upgrade

Currently have 5.0 without supercharger. What are my options to increase hp budgets 6k

Old 11-12-2020, 07:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

2 lines of thought here. You can try and take what you have and upgrade it, but you are going to find that the options are pretty limited and the power gains are not going to be that great. Or, you take the $6K that you are dedicating to upgrades and switch over to a supercharged XJ. For the same year (assuming you have a 2015 or so), you will get lots more power for the same $6K being spent.

If you are going to attempt to increase the power, you have 3 additions that I am aware of:

- take car to an aftermarket exhaust shop and have them put on some 50 series mufflers and remove one of the resonators. This will free up the exhaust while keeping hte exhaust note tolerable. Granted, you also run the risk of getting a drone in the car depending on which mufflers you get
-Look at Mina Gallery and get their upgraded intake (more looks than power gains, but every little bit helps for what you are after
-Look at the forums and there is a single company that sells an upgraded ECU that you can install that will get you a few more horses out of the car. Upgrading hte intake and exhaust will maximize any gains that you get here.

If you are looking to do more than this, then you are looking at having someone do some custom stuff to the car like porting/polishing the heads or something like that. You will definitely see a gain after the port/polish, but at the same time, going to cost you too. Even doing a port/polish, I htink you are still going to be a bit short of what the base supercharged car has in power.

Not trying to be a party pooper, but that is the short of hte story. Jaguar has milked most of the power gains out of the motor already. Now it is the little stuff that you are going to be fighting to find.

The following users liked this post:
duartelu86 (11-13-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Pretty much agree with Thermo. He hit all the issues dead on!
The SC 5.0L versions are dirt cheap and an outright performance bargain.
Forget hot rodding the NA version.

duartelu86 (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 10:19 PM
Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

You list your location as "Bay area". If that's the bay in the background of my thumbnail, your options are very limited due to CARB. Second, you're already at almost 10 lbs./hp. which is considered a high-performance car. Even me and Thermo, who live near the largest bay in the US, can't use all of this normally-aspirated V8. Spend far less than $6k on a beater Miata and have a blast throwing it around. Or a killer stereo in your XJ. Or a Bondurant school session. Or ...

duartelu86 (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 10:34 PM

Yeah I've been wanting to supercharge this bad boy. You guys think to add one to my engine or buy engine online equipped with it already. I've done cold air intake and exhaust already. Chip and supercharger is what I'm thinking g about. Thanks everyone

Old 11-14-2020, 07:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Duartelu86, if you are contemplating going supercharger anyways, then going to a new car with the supercharger on it already is going to definitely be the way to go. I say this because slapping a supercharger on to what you currently have, you are probably going to run into a wall at about 500ish hp due to the high compression of the engine. Where, if you go with a factory supercharged car, for another $1000ish, you can upgrade the pulley and then have a tuner play with the computer and get the car up to around 620 hp. At that point, you start hitting the limits of the transmission. The motor is capable of being push up to near 1000 hp. So, getting the motor to make power isn't so much a problem once you start getting into bigger power. A few members have done the 620 hp upgrade. Their big problem is keeping the rear end planted on take offs. 1st gear in these cars is really low and breaks the back wheels loose really easy.

duartelu86 (11-15-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,352 Likes on 3,481 Posts

Originally Posted by duartelu86
Yeah I've been wanting to supercharge this bad boy. You guys think to add one to my engine or buy engine online equipped with it already. I've done cold air intake and exhaust already. Chip and supercharger is what I'm thinking g about. Thanks everyone
It's your money, and you have the right to throw it away or spend it wisely. Adding a supercharger to a naturally-aspirated 5.0L engine will result in a half-fast XJ that'll have more CELs than a Christmas tree. Will it pass emissions inspection? How would a technician be able to timely troubleshoot those DTCs and fix your car if it doesn't correspond to the Service Manual? Sure, you could also make all of the other internal engine and electronic module upgrades to meet the 5.0LSC specifications, but to do so will cost you far more for the parts and labor than if you simply swapped your car for a factory supercharged XJ. If you go down that path to add a supercharger, you will regret it.

Times have changed from the hot rodders' days of the '50's and '60's when it was relatively easy to add a supercharger. Compare that to today's technology with interactive computers that communicate with each other to control the engine, transmission, and other components.

If you don't believe me, go to your local Jaguar dealer and ask a technician.

If this was helpful, press the Like button at the bottom right.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
duartelu86 (11-15-2020), SinF (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Modifying your existing car to supercharge it would be a lot more expensive than buying a new XJ that is already supercharged. It takes about 20K to do supercharging well, I would only consider doing it if supercharged XJ did not already exist.

duartelu86 (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:46 AM

I really appreciate everyone's insight. Time to find me a supercharged jaguar 620 hp is what I want. Thanks again everyone

SinF (11-17-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Well now you are going to the dark side!!
Please join us!

My 2014 XJR is around 620+ HP or so. This is pretty much a guess but I have run the car on a dyno.
Remember real race numbers (1/4 miles, Standing mile runs) measured by documented/calibrated 3rd party devices are facts and everything else is hand waving.

To get to this level is very easy. Just a VAP stage II tune and lower pulley which is dead simple to install. You can do both yourself in an easy afternoon of work without a lift or special tools.
Watch for the yearly sale VAP has. But there are other tuner's out there too.
It really does transform the car.

Here are a couple of threads describing the simple mods I have done to get there and what the car currently runs in the standing mile.
Dyno Run
2014 XJR
Texas Mile

As always speed costs money - How fast do you want to go??

I still have stock exhaust, stock upper pulley, stock blower and no Meth or NOS injection. I could add all 4 for more beans but the car drives so nice I just can't do it! Those could maybe add another 100+ HP or so? Car is completely legal and passes tail pipe sniffer tests here in Houston no problem. No check engine lights ever and a surprising noticeable increase in gas mileage too!

I have also added a bigger IC and the upgraded 010 IC pump but that is more for heat soak and any power it adds is difficult to measure. If it adds any at all? I do live in a very hot part of the US and the car does not go into heat soak at all as far as I can tell.

I added the later LED headlights which I think is a great mod for looks and better lighting. Added the Kevlar stereo speakers in all the woofer positions from the reference system. I think it does sound a good bit better too but again I sound treated all 4 doors the rear deck and trunk when installing the speakers.

Be sure and report back what you decide to do!
With pictures!

SinF (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

VAP is reputable tuning vendor for Jaguars and in F-type community they are known for tuning AJ133 (supercharged V8) engines. However, there are downsides to tuning.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Mine was tuned and the dealer fixed the leaking water pump under the CPO warranty so I don't know how often they even check?
Plus in the US with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act they cannot deny warranty coverage because of after market equipment unless they prove that was the cause of the problem.
A tune would not cause the water pump to start leaking.

I did find in the SDD and with an aftermarket scanner that the ECU mod was detected.

Last edited by clubairth1; 11-17-2020 at 04:14 PM.