XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Euro Plates in the US - Need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Euro Plates in the US - Need feedback

I need to get your thoughts on Legal, DMV administered Euro plates for your US cars. I'd like to know:

1. Besides UK, Germany, Italy, what country plates if any, do you think should be available?

2. Would you pay an extra $100-$125 for Euro plates (vanity plates)?

3. Anything special you would want on the plate other than the authentic fonts and coloring pattern used by the respective countries?

Thx for the feedback.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I am not sure what you are looking for. Just a decorative plate? In Germany they are issued by private companies around DMV stations putting anything on you'd like.
The only thing you won't get is the seal as that will be put on by the clerk in the DMW. System in Germany is a bit different then in US. The plate doesn't mean much, the Seal on it means a lot. (Like a sticker)
You can even make plates there to mark your parking spot. Exact copy of the plate as on your car.
I only know Germany countries. Austria is similar and offers more Vanity options. Otherwise I have no clue.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Fjk
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The following users liked this post:
gears (01-28-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 PM

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I'm in the process of legalizing euro plates in the US. I am not talking about buying replica euro plates to put on the front bumper in states that don't require a front plate. I'm talking about passing a law so that you can legally have front and rear 20.5 x 4.4 plates, with proper colors and fonts representing Germany, UK, and Italy. I'm looking for any feedback on what country plates you think should be available, and if there's anything I should consider that I might not have.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

Originally Posted by kid delicious

Nope!

Cheers
DD

Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Got it. Well, in Europe plates had very been different by country until not that long ago. Now they still are different by country even less. Reason is to make the plate instantly recognizable, and of course there had been no common standards between countries. (May be you remember the tiny front plate the Italians used to have years ago).
I doubt our DMV's and Secretary of States will go along with it. They'd argue the plates original purpose and other stuff. Not saying they are correct. Logically there is no problem to offer a new vanity type plate and in this case instead of making it a Route66, Firefigher, Environment or whatever plate you make it a "Euro" plate.
Except they would have to find re-tooling of their original plate equipment as sizes and fonts are different. I simply doubt that any official in any such department wants to bother with the extra work.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Actually, the front license plate/holder on the new XJ doesn't look that bad. I have a buddy that has been buying Corvette's for many years and never puts on the front plate because it looks like a wart on your nose! I never put one on the front of my Maserati QP that I used to own because it would have destroyed the look of the front end as well and every time I passed a cop I was paranoid about getting pulled over.

Kid--good luck getting all 50 states to approve a newly sized license plate just for cosmetic reasons.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I realize it's an uphill challenge, but I've got some heavy ammunition on my side. I've got sign off from the attorney for the state police, saying the police do not have an issue with it as far as their ability to do their job (visibility, ability of various roadway camera systems to view and recognize it, reflective nature of the plate, confusion between real and fake Euro plates, etc.). I also have my congressman and the DMV Commissioner onboard it conceptually. It was introduced for legislation last week, but was shot down. They have since reconsidered the idea and are investigating further. There are a few ways to skin this cat, but the most likely outcome is 3M, who currently produces most plates...through the various correctional systems, has factories in Euro, and will be able to produce the plates with only the extra cost of the die/design and shipping. That's super inexpensive...like $250 one-time cost for the design. If the DMV were to purchase the machines necessary, it would be in the area of $100k initial investment. I think it's a given that the first state to allow it will reap the benefits financially. After all, they are who all other states would look to for production of those same dimension plates.

So, it's not easy, and I've done a lot of legwork, but it could potentially bring in tremendous dollars to the gov't. I know Doug has said above that he wouldn't spend $100-$125 for a Euro plate, but I think if most people were buying a car, and they said that's $75,100 to have Euro plates, and $75k even without...they'd go Euro every day of the week. I have data from various Replica Euro plate sellers in the US, and you can't believe the numbers they sell per year...and that's for illegal plates!! We are talking about huge huge money. Enough so that I have though every possible way about how I could invest my own money into the success of this, and there's just no way to get it done short of buying a license plate manufacturing company, upgrading the equipment to print Euro dimension plates, and then hoping I can win a contract with each state govt. Or I suppose buying or starting a license plate accessory company for frames to fit Euro plates.

Last edited by kid delicious; 01-28-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

Hey, if the market is there, go for it! 'Tis a great example of a free-enterprise system at work. And, heck, there will hopefully come a time where I'm a bit more flush and would say "yes" instead of "nope" :-)

Hopefully all involved legislative/regulatory bodies would sign-off with minimal fuss. License plates isn't really what I'd want our state or US legislators devoting much time to.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

If, in fact, the Euro plates would cost less to produce, then I think you have a chance. Most states are hurting for revenue these days and looking for ways to produce more--just like the lottery was blasted initially as a regressive tax and now most states have one anyway since it is such a money maker.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

also the euro plates is long which means the ends will be closer to the front park aid sensors. they may act up on you due to the plate being close to the sensors.

XF have that problem if the plate bracket was off center of front bumper.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kid delicious
I need to get your thoughts on Legal, DMV administered Euro plates for your US cars. I'd like to know:

1. Besides UK, Germany, Italy, what country plates if any, do you think should be available?

3. Anything special you would want on the plate other than the authentic fonts and coloring pattern used by the respective countries?

Thx for the feedback.
As an European, I must say the license plates we have in the States are priceless, I dont know who would choose stupid looking HUGE European plates over these nice looking American plates, If I was American I'd never let you legalize an European plate, since I'd be very patriotic about my country, but even though I'm not an American I would vote no to legalizing European plates. If you are European and want to show people that you are from some European country, simply buy a decal, my girl friend recently put an Australian decal on my Jag, since she is from Australia, would I let her put an Aussie plate on my Jag? Nope, because this country paves these roads for us, not Australia. What I would suggest is, if you are really crazy about European plates, make them design an European style plate but have USA on the blue part instead of any other European Union country.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Stumbled across this thread.

The "euro" license plate is a standardised size, & most EU countries have the blue coloured tab on the left side. But there is no standardised font or colour scheme. The font's are different in each country, and you also get different colours, e.g. Holland has yellow plates with black raised lettering, Belgium has white with red lettering, & so on...

In some Australian states, you can get euro-style plates, maybe something like this would be easier to apply in the US.

Some examples;

Euro Series plates
Products and Pricing
Euro number plates - Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure (DTEI)

I live in Switzerland & the plates here are Euro size on the back, with a smaller one on the front, I actually prefer this, not sure if you could do that in the US, it's not possible to mix & match in Australia, even though you can buy the smaller plate in some states.

And have a look at the prices on the Aussie sites, much higher than your proposed price range.