XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended Warranty?

Well the warranty is up and since this car has been in and out of the shop I believe getting an extended warranty is in order. Any recommendations? Idea on cost? I drive about 18,000 miles a year and have a 2012 XJ SC with 47,000 on the odo. Warranty expired last month.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,389 Likes on 3,500 Posts

XJSMike,

See this current discussion on the X150 (2007-up XK/XKR) Forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rience-164087/

Buyer beware; you are entering a minefield wearing a blindfold, and the next step you take may be your last! Your only protection is to know what you're getting into beforehand by reading the entire contract before you buy it. Pay close attention to the exclusions from coverage, limitations, and other terms and conditions. The internet is full of horror stories about "extended warranties".

There is no such thing as an "extended warranty", unless it is provided by the manufacturer; for example, the Jaguar Select Certified Pre-Owned program. A warranty is a written guarantee, issued to the original purchaser of a product by its manufacturer, promising to repair or replace it due to defects in materials or workmanship within a specified period of time or usage.

What you're thinking about getting is often incorrectly referred to as an "extended warranty", but since it is not guaranteed by Jaguar it is not a warranty. Although it may be sold to you by your Jaguar dealer and have the Jaguar logo on it, it is not a Jaguar product. It is actually an extended service contract from a third party; it does not extend the terms of the Jaguar warranty but instead promises to pay for certain repairs, subject to various terms and conditions. It is an insurance-type product from a third party, not Jaguar. Those aftermarket extended service contracts pay big commissions to the dealers who sell them. Like everything else in life, some are better than others. That's why you have to do your homework and decide which one, if any, suits your needs.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-09-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

This was the first time I have purchased an extended warranty for a vehicle.
As the owner of a luxury automobile I view the extended warranty like any other "insurance policy." Hope you never have to use it but if the unexpected happens you may be glad you have it.
Now, since your manufacture's warranty has expired you will be paying some "big" money if you attempt now to get the extended warranty. I got mine last year when it only had a little less than 12,000 miles. After 12,000 miles I would have paid an additional $2,000 at least.
Do your research on this forum regarding other people's experience with extended warranties and what they paid for it, and what was covered and the cost of the covered repair.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have taken the extended warranty.
I have not had any 'real' problems
The sunroof sound. Sensor in tail pipe when bad.
Right after I signed the papers the GPS went nuts.
Like the old joke, GPS taking you around and around, block after same block.
They Changed the software. Before if it took 2 seconds for the screen to change
it now takes 1 second. The cost - nothing.
The car has 35,000 miles and runs 'Ouststandingly' The coverage is good to 2020@ $3100 about.
( something about mileage also)
These car can get expensive. A friend had a Merck. The 1st year check up after the
warranty was up cost him $5000 -------------------it pays for itself.

But be carful. I received a call from someone saying they represented Jaguar and there
price was $9000. I signed mine in the dealerships office knowing all was on the up & up.
He entered it in the computer and said All remains the same-- extended.

Last edited by Pa.Bill; 06-10-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Shop it between dealerships. There was $2k difference between the dealership where I bought my car and the shitty place that is currently servicing it (Jaguar Austin) They are extremely officious about this as all things Jaguar seem to be. The warranty has to be bought a month before expiration and 1000 miles before mileage cap.

If you find a good one that is not directly connected to Jag (they use Assuarance) please let me know.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pa.Bill
I have taken the extended warranty. ... I signed mine in the dealerships office knowing all was on the up & up. He entered it in the computer and said All remains the same-- extended.
Read your contract and you will find a provision to the effect that "this document is the entire agreement between the parties, notwithstanding any oral representations to the contrary." Even though it was sold to you by a Jaguar dealer, what you bought is not a "Jaguar Select Edition Certified Pre Owned Warranty". Your extended service contract will have different terms and conditions, coverages, exclusions, and other provisions; it is not the same as the factory warranty. Car salespeople have been known to say anything to close a deal, especially if there's a big commission.

Even so, you may still have a good experience - time will tell. Good luck with it and keep us updated.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:17 AM

I did not receive any paper on extended warranty .
All was entered in the computer with his statement
'Everything remains the same as before '
With dates a mileage changed.
I would think it would not be exact,
But I have a new GPS, in fact the whole system
Is new two weeks after the oringal warranty was up
With no cost at all. I expected to pay something and was
Surprised.
I do understand what you are saying. From factory to dealership
To who knows what, with a price,over the phone, of $9000, to
Dropping that to $7000 saying he will give me a brake.
Then I knew something was up.
Only time will tell if the $3000 was worth it.
But right now, If up dating GPS is $199 the whole thing
Could be $1000 and in one year and one visit , it paid for itself.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

This doesn't seem right. If you received nothing in writing, I suggest that you go back to that dealership ASAP and speak with the general manager. How did you pay for it? Cash, check, credit card or debit card? You didn't get a receipt? Will the third party Administrator mail the contract to you? Didn't you sign an application form and get a copy? I don't understand why you didn't get anything in writing to confirm your $3,000 payment. How do you prove that you bought anything? At least get a printout of what is in their computer. Hopefully, you paid with a credit card so you will have some protection. If not, I'd be concerned.

$199 is the retail price to update the GPS software. The hardware is unchanged. You don't have a whole new system; just new software.

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-18-2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Added GPS
Old 06-19-2016, 10:05 AM

Not 3rd Party. Was heled in Dealers office.

They already honored it. Replaced the GPS System at no cost.
Anyway, what's done is done. ( Credit Card) Paper or not, its in the computer. ( He showed me as he entered it)
If I brake down on the road and call the emergency number
They check the computer not paper. My wife just told me, we did get a email congratulating us on extending.
Adding, I should pay attention more.

I just got back from 600 mile round trip. The GPS is wonderful.
Press the button, say 1 and the screen changes.

I did get a notice for up dating GPS. I will check on that.
They want $199 but its fine just the way it is.
In the next few month I'll be driving to Washington DC,
and Ft Peirce Fl. This trip will tell me if a up date is needed.
I always travel with maps. I never rely fully on computer info.
You never know when it will fail.

I do understand what you are saying. Can't trust anyone . They tried scamming my Veterans Organization by way of GRANTS.( Long Story) Ridiculous on their part. Any 'not for profit organization' knows Grants better then there own name.

~LATER~
BILL------------------------------------>

Old 06-19-2016, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Bill,

Because your XJ is a 2011, I believe that you're mistaken about your "extended warranty" not being 3rd party. But it's your car, your money, and your decision as to what, if anything, to do. I've got nothing more to add, and hope you won't have any problems with that "warranty".

Stuart

Old 06-20-2016, 06:21 AM

I'm sorry all this upset you.
Dealing with people, a person knows for years,
can be different then walking off the street.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

Bill,
I don't understand what makes you think I'm upset, because I'm not. I was just trying to help you. "You can lead a horse to water, but ...
Stuart

Old 06-20-2016, 08:05 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Pa. Bill;

I just bought a 2010, so I'm interested in your experience. I'm a bit confused here because you said you signed something at the dealer. Did you get a copy of what you signed?

I bought my car privately, but am beginning to think I should be talking about coverage of some type. My experience is like Stuart's, that these plans are all just insurance policies. That is why I am wondering what you signed and what it is titled as. Your input will be appreciated.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

The Extended Warranty being offered by Jaguar Dealers is called "Jaguar Land Rover Vehicle Protection Plan" is "The Administrator of this Vehicle Service Agreement is United States Protection Corp., P>O> Box 21647 St. Petersburg, FL 3342. The telephone number is 1-855-668-2745". This information is on my agreement that I purchased from my dealer and is the plan offered through Jaguar. In order to qualify to purchase this plan you have to be more than 1 month remaining on your original factory warranty and more than 1000 miles from the original warranty mileage coverage, usually 50k. There are several mileage and term offerings and there is a recommended MSRP that dealers often discount (in Atlanta there are 3 dealers owned by the same company but I got a different quote from each). Also, it is good to know that the price increases about $26.00 each month as your time and mileage approach the end of original factory warranty. While I have not needed to use the coverage yet, my service adviser has stated that they do like the plan and have less difficulty in getting coverage than the Jaguar Factory warranty. This plan adds years of coverage from the date the agreement is signed and does not "wrap around" on time, but does on mileage i.e. if you have 40k on your Jag at signing and choose 100k mileage coverage you, really, have added an additional 60k. Hope this answered allot of your questions.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 09:39 AM

Unfortunately, this does not really help. If you look back, you will see that the OP's vehicle was already out of warranty, so he could not qualify for the plan you reference. I am in the same situation, car is too old. Not sure what Pa. Bill's situation was.

I see AAA has a plan. Anyone here know anything about it? They offer 12 mo. interest free financing.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Rob,
Extended service contract plans are priced to return a profit to the underwriter, based on their data that predicts breakdowns and their cost. If they're still in business they're profitable. Why not take the cost of that plan and invest it instead of paying that premium (cost + profit)? You'll probably come out ahead because you're including the profit factor in your savings, not just the projected repair cost factor. Just some food for thought.
Stuart

Old 06-20-2016, 01:01 PM

Hi Stu;

Yes they are, business is business. I was an insurance litigator for most of my career, so I've been down a similar road.

However there is usually a reason to consider insurance. In the case of Jaguars I see it as a catastrophe policy. The average user may never get full return on his premium; but if the "big one" hits you are covered. That is really the distinction between your "self insured" concept and buying a policy.

Obviously the age of the car, miles you expect to drive annually and years you plan to keep the car all play into the equation. In my case I probably will not buy one, but I do want to see some price quotes before I commit one way or the other.

Go Dawgs!

Old 06-20-2016, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Good points.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going through a similar situation and any advice is appreciated. I have read the thread but do not have a full understanding. I recently purchased a 2011 XJL and the vehicle currently has 44k miles on it. I believe the current manufacturer warranty expires in October and I have spent most of today calling around to get quotes on prices. So far I have gotten:

$3757 to cover me up to 100k miles serviced by NWAN (National Warranty Administration Network)
$5547 for 4 years and 48k miles but he believes he can extend to get me to 100k serviced by Jaguar Continental
$4325 for 2 years and 24k miles by Continental Group
$6695 for 3 years and 36k miles for Jaguars Vehicle Protection Plan
and another that ranged from $6k-10k depending on how long you wanted serviced by United AutoCare backed by Penske.

So I have prices ranging from $3757 to $10k, has anyone else extended with any of the aforementioned servicers.....if so what was your costs and terms.....more importantly, have you had to use it and are you happy with the results.

Your feed back is appreciated,
Dameion

NorcalJag (06-25-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Dameion,

You should get some responses from Forum members who have the plan offered by Jaguar as described in XJsss' Post#14, above. As for other plans, you'll probably have much better results if you search the internet for "complaints against _____(name of company administering/insuring that extended service contract)" extended service plan. Alternatively, enter the brand name of that plan.

You're doing the right thing by thoroughly investigating these products and customer feedback before you buy.

Stuart

Damo1977 (06-21-2016)

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty?