XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Extended warranty company recommendations...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Extended warranty company recommendations...?

Anyone familiar with, or have, a good Jaguar extended warranty company they care to share with the rest of us...?

Old 11-04-2019, 10:00 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I used Member's Choice for my last few cars and they have been excellent. I bought it through my credit union

All work done through dealer. Loaner cars covered.They even replaced my engine.

The following users liked this post:
pologuy (11-12-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a Continental one, which basically "extended" the CPO warranty that already existed on the car. No deductible, loaner car, never had an issue with them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hank Scorpio:
Ken Dreger (06-13-2021), pologuy (11-12-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

This subject has been thoroughly discussed repeatedly. Just search this Forum

Only the manufacturer, Jaguar, can issue a warranty. You're looking to buy an extended service contract from a third party unrelated to Jaguar. Unscrupulous sales people will call it an extended warranty to make you think it's an extension of the Jaguar warranty, but it's not. BUYER BEWARE!

Read this entire thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rranty-164118/

Old 11-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I always like a fresh look at a topic.

I was considering a repair contract. I am on the fence. i have a 2013 5.0 sc. with 46,000 on it i was considering a plan from Endurance the supreme plan it covers everything but wear items.
it was 5600 additional miles and for 5 years. My hesitation is will it need any large ticket before 100k? the water pump has been done.. it always a gamble

pologuy (11-08-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 04:07 PM

i think the extended contract was absolutely worth it. my car has not been problematic by any means, but i was glad i had it when things crept up, like an Active Dynamics fault, or faulty window motors. Not major problems, and certainly nothing that stopped me from driving the car, but with things like air suspension and adaptive this and cooled that, i think it was worth the extra cost.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hank Scorpio:
pologuy (11-12-2019), Randy Mounts (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 04:18 PM

Hi thanks. what company do you have for the warranty? some i have seen say shocks are a wear item. that could get costly thanks

Old 11-06-2019, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Randy Mounts
I always like a fresh look at a topic.

I was considering a repair contract. I am on the fence. i have a 2013 5.0 sc. with 46,000 on it i was considering a plan from Endurance the supreme plan it covers everything ... .. it always a gamble. ...
Randy, there is no "fresh look" when it comes to evaluating extended service contracts. The above link explains everything you need to know. You have to read the contract and not rely on anything the salesman tells you or the slick brochure that summarizes the plan. Don't forget that they want your money. And you can't rely on anyone else's experience because contract terms can change. Know that the companies that sell this insurance are highly profitable - otherwise, they wouldn't still be in business. They know how much they have to charge for their products to make a profit, and rely on uninformed buyers to not read or understand the exclusions, which are intentionally written with some ambiguity to make you think you're covered when, in reality, you're not. It's not an extension of the Jaguar factory warranty no matter what the salesman tells you. He wants that commission and will do anything to get it. He's a pro; he sells them every day and has all the answers that you want to hear. The only thing that matters is the contract itself.

Have you priced any extended service contracts? They're not cheap. Let us know what you've been quoted. You might be better off to put the amount of that premium in a bank savings account or money market fund to use for future repairs. Don't be surprised if you have money left over in that account after the end of the term of that contract. That's money in your pocket, not theirs.

Stuart

P.S. You're right, it's a gamble. But the House always wins, although they do allow an occasional player to win to keep all the other marks in the game.

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-06-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Randy, there is no "fresh look" when it comes to evaluating extended service contracts. The above link explains everything you need to know. You have to read the contract and not rely on anything the salesman tells you or the slick brochure that summarizes the plan. Don't forget that they want your money. And you can't rely on anyone else's experience because contract terms can change. Know that the companies that sell this insurance are highly profitable - otherwise, they wouldn't still be in business. They know how much they have to charge for their products to make a profit, and rely on uninformed buyers to not read or understand the exclusions, which are intentionally written with some ambiguity to make you think you're covered when, in reality, you're not. It's not an extension of the Jaguar factory warranty no matter what the salesman tells you. He wants that commission and will do anything to get it. He's a pro; he sells them every day and has all the answers that you want to hear. The only thing that matters is the contract itself.

Have you priced any extended service contracts? They're not cheap. Let us know what you've been quoted. You might be better off to put the amount of that premium in a bank savings account or money market fund to use for future repairs. Don't be surprised if you have money left over in that account after the end of the term of that contract. That's money in your pocket, not theirs.

Stuart

P.S. You're right, it's a gamble. But the House always wins, although they do allow an occasional player to win to keep all the other marks in the game.

I get it. you are clearly against it. and it is OK . i do however like to hear different ideas and experiences people have had. and i believe the purpose of boards like this is to chat about different things. Yes sometime old things will be re hatched.. some of us just got here. other wise its just a look up forum with no purpose to engage each other

have a great evening

The following 2 users liked this post by Randy Mounts:
KellyJ1963 (07-01-2024), pologuy (11-12-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I had a negative experience years ago, but they paid my claim only after I filed suit for breach of contract.

If an extended service contract gives you peace of mind, then it's worth the cost. But don't say that I didn't warn you if they refuse to pay a claim. Your money, your choice. But before you pay for it, Google that company and "complaints". The internet is littered with them.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I have one purchased through JLR Dallas, whom sold me the car. They tried to tell me it was VPP, I told them I knew it was not. The company is First Mile Warranty (TWS), and they push it because Dallas I believe is owned or was owned by Terry Taylor whom at one time had the largest private portfolio of NA dealerships.

I digress. In general i paid under $3500 for the extended service contract and have recouped my money in the first year. Being a Texas car, all the failures I expected to happen due to heat and age occurred.

The following 2 users liked this post by dmchao:
Ken Dreger (06-13-2021), pologuy (11-12-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Is 5600 miles correct?
Maybe a typo?

Old 11-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Good luck with suspension repairs with aftermarket wheels and a ext warranty. I have seen denials almost every time if the send an inspector and they will over $1000. Once denied they wil will never cover again. Your best bet, as i always recommend is go talk to your local service advisor and they know what companies are bad and which are great to deal with. Our best companies to deal with are cna, and easy care

pologuy (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,620 Likes on 8,304 Posts

On an S-Type we used to lease, we had Easy Care ..Gold package... which was purchased when car was leased and never had any problems with the service dept. when needed. Small deductible but worth it.

pologuy (11-12-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Anyone care to post how much their extended service plan cost them - and for how long it covered the car...?

One post said $3,500 - but didn't say for how many years or miles, etc.

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine was $4,800 for 4yr/50k

They've paid out $36k in repairs so far

The following 3 users liked this post by XJ-SS:
dmchao (11-12-2019), Ken Dreger (06-13-2021), pologuy (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:18 AM

To elaborate on mine, mine was 3 years/36k miles. About $3500 in cost.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:41 AM

So it looks like an extended service plan for the XJ runs about $100 a month...

Old 11-12-2019, 12:51 PM

YMMV. If you were to ask for your prorated money back not sure how each company would calculate, probably miles or time whichever resulted in less back to the customer. It depends on your mileage at time of purchase. The same company quoted another vehicle with 10k more miles at about 7k. I noticed you're in WI, I'm in metro Milwaukee, if you ever see a blue XJL out and about.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:32 PM

Just an update to give a bit more information for those looking. My extended contract was about $2500 that stacked on top of the existing CPO, which covered the car to 100k or 8 years, whatever came first.

I had my Adaptive Dynamics issue covered under the warranty by them, I am not sure if they even knew about my aftermarket wheels or not, my dealer had always dealt with them and I never had an issue....

Until I just brought it in a couple of days after my previous posts. During the time between when I made my appt and actually dropped off my car, the warranty expired, and they would not budge, at all, on the coverage. As far as they were concerned, the contract was exactly what my coverage should be, regardless of what the circumstances were. I had no issue when under warranty with any claim, but the moment it expired, there was no more concern for customer satisfaction or anything, their obligation was filled. My dealership even called and took responsibility for the delay, and said they were contacted well within the warranty period, but they still refused any leeway.

That being said, I think this warranty was absolutely worth it. The Jag hasnt been problematic, but the few things i did need handled, like this AD fault, or a window regulator, or whatever, added up to more than what I paid for the warranty. Ive bought used European sports sedans for years, sometimes i rolled the dice with no warranty, and other times i paid extra for piece of mind. IMO, its all about the car youre purchasing, and how well it was taken care of previously. I think the piece of mind is worth it though.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty company recommendations...?