XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Exterior Care Recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exterior Care Recommendations??

My XJ is black and beautiful. I plan to have the car detailed periodically to keep it looking good. My question is whether to use a wax/polish on the finish. Some non-luxury models I see (Dodge?Ford?) have a black/dark finish that looks almost like a liquid it is so shiny. What type product do I use to both protect the paint and enhance it?

Old 09-28-2016, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Mack,

You'll get more opinions about detailing products than dogs have fleas. But everyone agrees that surface prep is the key to any good detailing job. There are lots of excellent products, but the best jobs are the result of a multiple step process.

If you're going to have the car detailed periodically, go to some of your local car shows and ask the owners of high-end show cars for the name of the professional detailer they use. Don't trust your car to a kid in your neighborhood or the guys in your car wash. Spend the $$$ to have it done right, or take the time and do it yourself.

There's lots of information on the web - just Google "how to detail my car exterior". Check out this forum with lots of opinions from professional detailers: Steps on detailing a car

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (05-27-2017)
Old 10-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

+ 1 on Stuarts recommendation. Here is what I would suggest and how I maintain mine
1. Get a good detailer (not some backyard guy) to first wash the car right (two bucket method) and ensure to use clean towels to gently wipe in one direction to dry the car. Ensure to blow off excess water with a rubber tipped air blower
2. Get a good clay bar and do it right. Buy a nice detailer to lube the car while you clay it.
3. Ensure to do 50-50% IPA mix to spray the car after and wipe down again
4. Now, get a polish and DA polisher to polish section by section (this is best done by a pro who know what he/she is doing)
5. once complete i suggest another 50-50% IPA wipe down to get excess compound out.
6. Use a good quality coating (not a sealer) like CQuartz which actually adds to your clear coating which will absorb minor scratches as opposed to your clear coating.
7. Wait 1.5 hours and do another coat (do three coats is my suggestion)
8. Let it dry 2 days, do not take it in water. altho it should be fine,I suggest letting git dry.

Now your car is nice an shiny and looks great.. at this point you should get a good 1 gallon car wash (check chemical guys citrus wash its great). Use a proper two bucket method and clean mitts to regularly clean your car (winter every week) summer 2-3 weeks .. At the very minimum wash down your car in Winter every week. This could just be hosing your car (I suggest getting a RV inline water filter, it will avoid big water spots, and costs very little).

Now the last but not least thing..enjoy the looks when you drive your car from people who wish they were you .

The following 2 users liked this post by ramandanu:
AJ16er (10-08-2016), Orthodixie (05-27-2017)
Old 10-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Yes, the two bucket wash and claying every six months is key. I found the Zymol cleaner wax to be a fantastic product. Smells great too. Never wash your car with dishwashing detergent or harsh brushes. Always use a microfiber wash cloth.

Orthodixie (05-27-2017)
Old 10-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

I've been using the two-part system from 'Surf City Garage', called Nano Glaze and Nano Seal, as well as their spray detailer, for several years, on all of the cars in my "family fleet". I've been very satisfied with the results.

(and ALL of our cars are black!)

Orthodixie (05-27-2017)
Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a Black car in the past here is what I did .......

When I got this 500E Black 040 car the paint was pretty bad, lots of swirl marks, wash lines, ect. I had the paint reconditioned and I have been useing the below system ever since, so far its working pretty well ....

- I keep my car in the garage and under a car cover

- I try not washing the car as much and CAREFULLY use a California Duster and a Quick Detailer

- When I do wash I try and follow the below format

http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/basic-car-wash/

- I use these items

For the wheels - 1 WASH BUCKET and a GRIT GUARD BUCKET INSERT - 16" WIRE WHEEL BRUSH and SMALL WHEEL BRUSHES

For the Car wash - 2 WASH BUCKET with GRIT GUARD BUCKET INSERTs - GILMOUR FOAM GUN and a LAMBSWOOL MITT

For the Final Rinse - Free-flowing water (no nozzle) and allow the water to sheet off

For the Car Dry - Electric leaf blower to remove most of the water then MICROFIBER TOWELS where needed.

Here is how she looks

Orthodixie (05-27-2017)