XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Factory extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyJag
I am not very familiar with any dealerships in the central part of PA to be honest with you. What I can tell you is that like the car itself, the warranty is not one be-all, end-all price. It typically has an MSRP price of sorts, and potentially above MSRP depending on what type of leg is already built into the deal.

What I can suggest is this.

Negotiate the price of the car first.

Negotiate the interest rate second, if financing. Request the lowest tiered money factor if leasing.

Negotiate your trade-in third, if indeed you are trading something in.

Negotiate any warranties, maintenance plans, etc last and completely separately. I would do a bit of research on what the extended warranty you want should roughly cost before entering the dealership.

Although this takes more time you'll be much more likely to get a better deal. It's always a salesman's dream when a customer comes in a says, "Just keep me under ____ payment per month." Especially when this payment is easily attainable.
Thanks very much for this advice. I will conduct my research before making a move for an extended warranty.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 2011 Jaguar XJL with 35,000 miles. It was used and I purchased it from a Jaguar dealership this past March. I had the car for 3 weeks and the head gasket blew. The car now requires engine replacement and possible transmission replacement. The engine alone will cost $30,000 for the new engine and labour. I have no idea what the tranny will cost.

Let me re-state that I only had the car for 3 weeks. A disappointment is putting it mildly.

Anyways, I am still under original warranty. So I will be paying none of this $30,000+++ repair bill. Jaguar is standing behind their warranty and taking care of this.

I do not want to think about getting this kind of bill with no extended warranty to cover this cost.

This experience has led me to believe that I can never own a Jaguar (this one or the next... If there is a next) without extended warranty. For this owner it's a must.

Our other car is an 08 Porsche Boxster which in 7 years of ownership only died once because the battery expired after 5 years which is pretty good if you ask me. Absolutely zero problems and it gets flogged regularly.

I had read so many good things about the Jaguar XJL. So many car reviews had amazing things to say. Some mentioned that the acquisition by Tata had given the brand a greatly needed infusion of cash to build bigger and better. And that this XJ/XJL with the 5.0 v8 was the new halo engine and that the unreliable 80's and 90's were finally a thing of the past.

Well maybe I'm just unlucky and maybe I am in the less than 1% of problems like this. But it did happen to me.

So after having this experience after having the car for less than a month.... Extended warranty is the ONLY thing that will keep me in this car.

I love this car. I love this generation. I love the looks. I love the powerful engine. I just love everything about it. But no way am I going through this experience ever again. No way no how. The last week has been literally usurped by endless phone calls with mechanics, Jaguar, dealers, independant mechanics. It was such an involving process to get a game plan going. And it literally felt like a team effort with collaboration from multiple parties involved to get to the point where it was decided a new engine was required and that rebuilt was no longer a viabl option.

My "other half" was just done with the car and had wanted to get out of it and kinda still does. But the dealer is telling me that every effort must be made to repair the car before refund or car replacement can be considered. Not sure how I feel about that just yet.

But anyways, just sharing my personal story and perspective which is still on going. I won't get the car back for 4 months. There goes all my summer road trip plans in my "new to me" fancy car. And when I get the car back I have to test it to make sure it feels like how I got it. Because what if it doesn't and I ask them/need them to fix it some more? Is that another 4 months? I can see how this process is going to be a long long process.

So my advice would be to get an extended warranty. Like THE BEST one you can get. And if anyone's has an opinion on what that is please let me know as I still have to get one. Part of me thinks that the dealership should give this to me for free as a courtesy for all this aggravation.

PS. In case you were wondering. The head gasket blew allowing coolant into the chamber. This caused Pistons and rods to get bent. The heads warped. And possibly the top of the block did too. This happened under normal driving conditions. No warning lights on the dash came on either. Just started the car and BAM I was engulfed in white smoke.

And for whatever it's worth. I know another guy who this happened to also on a 2011 XJL and his engine blew at 65,000 miles and was counting his lucky stars that he HAD purchased the extended warranty at the time of original purchase. He got his car back a month ago (also a 4 month long process) and said he was done and is now selling it on autotrader (that's where we met, I was originally thinking about buying his car before I found one I liked in a different color).

Old 04-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

The extended warranty being offered at Jaguar Dealerships currently starts the day you buy so a 6 year 100k would end in 2021, but you need to shop it as there is a good markup on it and the dealer can charge from cost about @3k to msrp of @5k to the best of my knowledge.

The following users liked this post:
Quartzboy (05-16-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

The list price on a new Transmission for a 2011 XJL is $5,591.25, not including tax or labor to remove and replace.

The following 2 users liked this post by johndahlheimer:
Quartzboy (05-16-2015), XJLFTW (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Lexus reliability is a myth. Just ask the man who used to own one (me, a 2007 LS460, almost every option, bought new). Never again.
What went wrong with your Lexus LS460

Old 09-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any Florida extended warranty dealers here?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,313 Likes on 3,462 Posts

Originally Posted by TROLLY
What went wrong with your Lexus LS460
TROLLY,
Purchased new 2007 LS460, most options, $72K MSRP December 2007, good deal at end of model year (or so I thought ). Beautiful car, but...
1. Dashboard rattling. R&R dashboard, replaced clips at base of windshield with slightly thicker ones under warranty.
2. Excessive wind noise. Replaced F&R, R&L single-pane glass with double-pane glass under warranty. Better, but still noisy when windy outside. Tried to fix 3 times, finally gave up and lived with that minor annoyance.
3. Defective engine valve recall. 48 valves replaced under warranty. Less than 15K miles when done.
4. Defective fuel rail recall, fire hazard. Aluminum rail replaced with stainless steel rail under warranty.
5. Driver's side view mirror stopped folding. Out of warranty cost to replace $950. No thanks.
6. Airbag warning light, intermittent at 35K miles. Safety hazard because when light comes on the airbags are disabled. Dealer diagnosed bad wiring harness under dash, initially refused to cover under warranty because 4 years and 9 months old but relented because I had also previously bought a new RX350 for my wife from them. Dealer said they'd pay for the parts ($2,400) if I'd pay for the labor. Charged me for 18 hours labor at discounted rate of $90/hr., $1,620 that I paid with my AmEx. Shortly thereafter, I got the TSB on that "non-recall" that called for repair time of 7 hours. I informed the General Manager that unless I received their refund check for overbilling me 11 hours ($990) within 24 hours they would leave me no choice but to dispute that charge with AmEx and pursue my legal remedies. They FedEx'd their check to me the next day. I subsequently traded that LS460 for my CPO 2013 XJ SC and am glad I did. No Takata for me. And no more unscrupulous Lexus dealer for me, ever again.

I might have forgotten a few other problems. The airbag defect was the last straw.

Stuart

Old 09-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Finally got an extended warranty from the Jaguar dealership, I think it was in June.
Bought it from the Jag dealership in Harrisburg, which is where I have my Portfolio serviced.
Overall I was very pleased with their warranty salesperson; AND, was very pleased with the price and coverage included in the warranty. I feel much more comfortable now that I have this warranty, particularly since I've seen so many comments offered about cost of repairs on various systems in this automobile. I think I had about 9,000 miles when I got the extended.
warranty. My recommendation: get an extended warranty. If you have health coverage thru your employer, and if you have homeowners insurance as well as automobile insurance, and if you have life insurance that will help your family in case something were to happen to you, then, why question if you'll need an extended warranty (unless you will not keep the automobile beyond the terms of the warranty offered when the automobile was purchased) for a luxury automobile like this.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 XJ with 49300 miles and my local dealer says I can purchase an extended factory warranty at 6 yrs and 100K for $3550.00. When I asked if it was a Jaguar warranty they replied yes. I have searched every field possible with Jaguar and found no factory extended warranty? The other downside to the dealer warranty offered was no finance plan???
Plan on calling the dealer back on Monday to get the contract for review.
After extensive review of aftermarket warranties I found that Carchex offered the best plan for my car with the Titanium with the High Tech add-on for 60 mo and 60,000 miles for $5,750 but does have a 30 day, 1000 mile wait period. Also has a fully refundable 30 day guaranty if my dealer actually comes through and I purchase outright?
So if you are interested in what I have got from Carchex please contact Wendy at WStout@carchex.com and tell her I referred you. It puts bucks in my pocket for every one???

Old 11-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

That is a pretty good price for the Jag warranty. I purchased a similar one, $0 deductible, 7 years/100k extended warranty, for my 2011 XJL, and paid approx. $3900. It is indeed a Jaguar warranty, but underwritten by Assurant Group or something.
My dealer did not offer the finance plan either, so that sucked, but all in all, I preferred to go with the dealer recommended one rather than another 3rd party one, since my dealer would HAVE to honor the warranty which they themselves sold to me.
Keep in mind that if you do decide to go with the Jag warranty, then you need to purchase it BEFORE 30 days prior to the manufacturer's warranty expiring; they will not sell the warranty to you if you are within 30 days of the expiry of the manufacturer's warranty, and certainly not after the expiry as you may know already.

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My car came with Santander S-Guard wrap coverage purchased by the prior owner (everything but powertrain, which is somewhat weird considering I purchased it a thousand miles after the warranty expired) I added powertrain coverage through my credit union (Route 66).

One thing to keep in mind is that in most cases, if you sell your car or otherwise decide to cancel your coverage, you will be paid back a pro-rated amount of the cost. If this isn't true, don't buy the coverage.

Santander has been pretty good so far - they just fixed my headlight stalk and replaced a side mirror that wasn't folding for $100. The deductible is per-visit, not per job, which is pretty great.