XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Firm suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:24 AM
Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Firm suspension

Hi guys!
Last week purchased XJ 5.0 S/C with low milage on the dash (10K) and i was immpressed how firm suspension is on the last XJ. I used to have X308 XJR and it was much-much softer.
I can't believe that premium car can be so firm. When i'm pressing the dynamic mode button i can't feel any difference. So the the suspension stays like it is. In my understanding with activated dynamic mode it must be more firm to improve riding perfomance but in my case it's the same.
I'm thinking car stucks in the dynamic mode with the firm settings of the dampers. I'm looking to visit the dealer to get it sorted but i'm very interesting can be my theory right or not?
Does dynamic mode button must do the suspension more firm?

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (08-27-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Rostman
Hi guys!
Last week purchased XJ 5.0 S/C with low milage on the dash (10K) and i was immpressed how firm suspension is on the last XJ. I used to have X308 XJR and it was much-much softer.
I can't believe that premium car can be so firm. When i'm pressing the dynamic mode button i can't feel any difference. So the the suspension stays like it is. In my understanding with activated dynamic mode it must be more firm to improve riding perfomance but in my case it's the same.
I'm thinking car stucks in the dynamic mode with the firm settings of the dampers. I'm looking to visit the dealer to get it sorted but i'm very interesting can be my theory right or not?
Does dynamic mode button must do the suspension more firm?
Yes, the dynamic mode firms up the suspension, and perhaps your car is stuck in this mode. But do realize the supercharged V-8 (XJ 5.0 S/C) has larger wheels and smaller cross-section tires than the standard non-supercharged 5.0 models, which may look good, but which also provide a "rougher" ride (you feel the bumps more, than in models with standard wheels and tires).

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 08-24-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Yes, the dynamic mode firms up the suspension, and perhaps your car is stuck in this mode. But do realize the supercharged V-8 (XJ 5.0 S/C) has larger wheels and smaller cross-section tires than the standard non-supercharged 5.0 models, which may look good, but which also provide a "rougher" ride (you feel the bumps more, than in models with standard wheels and tires).
I have seen people are saying on 20 inch wheels car is more bumpy, but i can't feel the difference in the suspension settings in Dynamic mode. That is why i'm asking. Strange for me. Manual has no information how it works.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

I am sorry, but I am unable to help you any further. I agree the Jaguar owners manual really doesn't explain the Dynamic mode in sufficient detail, and neither does their instructional videos. Frankly I have never tried the Dynamic mode, so I really can't say their is a noticeable difference in ride stiffness when it is used.

On my 2009 Chevrolet Corvette I can definitely notice the difference between the "Sport" (Dynamic ON) and "Tour" (Dynamic OFF) modes, and General Motors is the car company that introduced "Magnetic Selective Ride Control" to the world.

I wish you the best in resolving your excessively stiff ride (for a luxury sedan). Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you better than I.

Good luck!