XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

First Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default First Road Trip

I took my new Jag on its first road trip, driving from Dallas to Austin. I've owned many full size luxury cars over the years, and I continue to feels like this one beats them all. Here's a few observations:

This supercharged engine has amazing power, not only from 0 - 60, but even more so when passing. The throttle response is immediate, and the car just jumps ahead and keeps pulling. Plus, I averaged 24 mpg on the trip, which was a pleasant surprise.

The car is very comfortable. I'm 6'5", and that's been a real issue for me, even in other "full size" cars. I never felt fatigued during the 3 hour drive. The seat massage is the best I've experienced on a car. On my other cars, it was more annoying than helpful, so I never used it. On the Jag, my only complaint is that it automatically turns off after 10 minutes, and I would miss it.

Similarly, I never used the voice controls on my other cars. It was a pain in the a$$ to remember the commands. On the Jag, with the commands listed on the dash, I found myself constantly using it to make calls, change radio stations, even changing the zoom level on the navigation map. It was really fun, and much safer than searching for the buttons.

The adaptive cruise control works great, and I like using it on the highway.

Navigation system is not the best. I'm still trying to figure out some of the features, like how to display POI's on the map. Also, the screen setting seemed to constantly switch away from the view that I wanted. The system did a good job responding to traffic conditions and recommending changes to the route to avoid problems, but it wasn't showing real time traffic conditions on the map itself (green, yellow, red color coding) like other systems I've had (and like my iPhone). Can anyone help me out here?

Lastly, I love looking at the car, both inside and out. To me, it's the most beautiful car on the road. I attracts a lot of attention, and brings a smile to my face every time I walk up to it. Interestingly, I passed a late-1960's/early 1970's XJ on my way back to Dallas. Those were truly beautiful cars, and I felt proud to be carrying on the Jaguar tradition. I think this new design will stand the test of time as well as the original.

Barry

Old 10-16-2011, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks for your time on this topic . It was very nice to read you enjoyed your trip and your car run flawlessly . I like your X351 styling too , very attractive car