XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

First time buying a Jaguar.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 07:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First time buying a Jaguar.

Hey guys, I am new to Jaguars coming from owning a BMW 335xi Manual transmission. Anyways, I was looking at a 2017 Jaguar XJ R Sport.

I love the way the XJ R Sport looks And I told myself one day!I've attached all the features it comes with. I'm wondering what other features these cars come with. Is my model loaded? What questions should I ask the dealer?its going for 36k. has 42k miles.
I was also wondering what common issues will I run into.
It had 1 minor accident but it looks great and has no frame damage it went through a test with True360 and they showed photos and rated full repair 90/100. Either way. Car was a previously owned Lease car.
If anyone has ANY INFORMATION PLEASE LMK I WANT TO KNOW EVERY AND ANYTHING. I want to inform myself about Jaguars. I found the handbook listed on the website but I want to know the little secrets the stuff nobody knows.. everything. Thanks for all the help and info! I'm a very mechanically inclined I just can't find too much about these cars!

Old 09-24-2021, 03:52 AM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

For what I've read on the XJ forum, the most common issue is the overheating problem caused by coolant leakage resulting to engine damage. I don't know if plastic pipes/tubes that is causing the issue has been replace by metal on the current models. Perhaps someone here can correct me on this one.
Here are some of the threads that relates to some issues as well.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-leak-249572/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ispreloading=1

I hope your XJ comes with these features as seen on this Jaguar advertisement

Also, as a newbie on this forum (joined last April) one thing I noticed among members here, once they sold their old Jaguars, a great majority tend to buy another Jaguar.

My take. Good Luck

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 09-24-2021 at 04:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (09-25-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 05:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

Shawn, well, you are getting the base motor (supercharged V6) where there is an upgraded V8 that is supercharged (but this would require loosing the AWD). Then there are quite a few options not listed that relate to the back seats (airline trays, reclining seats, massage, etc). Then I am not sure if you car comes standard with adaptive cruise control or not. I also do not see any mention of the lighted door sills.

I would not worry about how the car is optioned. What comes standard in this car is pretty much top of the line stuff in other cars. It will meet all your needs.

Old 09-24-2021, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Shawn, well, you are getting the base motor (supercharged V6) where there is an upgraded V8 that is supercharged (but this would require loosing the AWD). Then there are quite a few options not listed that relate to the back seats (airline trays, reclining seats, massage, etc). Then I am not sure if you car comes standard with adaptive cruise control or not. I also do not see any mention of the lighted door sills.

I would not worry about how the car is optioned. What comes standard in this car is pretty much top of the line stuff in other cars. It will meet all your needs.
what do you think? I am thinking of changing my mind,But i already ran my credit for the car. Its Beautiful but I might want the supercharged but those are 45k upwards.
Here is a link to the car

https://www.griecohonda.com/used/Jag...ource=cars.com

Ken Dreger (10-13-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
For what I've read on the XJ forum, the most common issue is the overheating problem caused by coolant leakage resulting to engine damage. I don't know if plastic pipes/tubes that is causing the issue has been replace by metal on the current models. Perhaps someone here can correct me on this one.
Here are some of the threads that relates to some issues as well.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-leak-249572/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ispreloading=1

I hope your XJ comes with these features as seen on this Jaguar advertisement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIHCMpqbPuE

Also, as a newbie on this forum (joined last April) one thing I noticed among members here, once they sold their old Jaguars, a great majority tend to buy another Jaguar.

My take. Good Luck

THANK YOU!!

You were thr most helpful

whats your opinion on the car here is a link

Old 09-24-2021, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Shawn, you had asked what options the car may be missing. I was just listing some. Now, something that you may want to really consider is whether to get the L version or not. The L is 6 inches longer than the standard XJ and all 6 inches is in the rear foot well area. It makes for a nicer ride (longer wheel base) and if you have people in the back of your car a lot, they will really appreciate it. That also unlocks a lot of the back seat amenities that while are not needed, do impress people when they sit back there. If you are like me and rarely have people in the back seat, then the standard XJ is more than adequate for the rear seat. I have ridden in both as a back seat passenger and the L was definitely a lot nicer. Granted, probably had every bell and whistle because it was a new car from jaguar for their Feel XE event.

If I were to buy another XJ of this body style, I am thinking I would get the L. I like the longer, sleeker look that it has. Granted, I would also be trying to find the very rare Caberet red. I am not a red car person, but I like that color. Worst case, I would get a silver XJ and then throw a black cherry candy paint over the top to get the color I am after. But, to each their own.

Ken Dreger (09-25-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Shawn, you had asked what options the car may be missing. I was just listing some. Now, something that you may want to really consider is whether to get the L version or not. The L is 6 inches longer than the standard XJ and all 6 inches is in the rear foot well area. It makes for a nicer ride (longer wheel base) and if you have people in the back of your car a lot, they will really appreciate it. That also unlocks a lot of the back seat amenities that while are not needed, do impress people when they sit back there. If you are like me and rarely have people in the back seat, then the standard XJ is more than adequate for the rear seat. I have ridden in both as a back seat passenger and the L was definitely a lot nicer. Granted, probably had every bell and whistle because it was a new car from jaguar for their Feel XE event.

If I were to buy another XJ of this body style, I am thinking I would get the L. I like the longer, sleeker look that it has. Granted, I would also be trying to find the very rare Caberet red. I am not a red car person, but I like that color. Worst case, I would get a silver XJ and then throw a black cherry candy paint over the top to get the color I am after. But, to each their own.

Damn,Thank you for the information!! Okay so you think the XJL is my better bet? Im also curious what XJ R Sport models come supercharged?

Ken Dreger (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

Shawn, the XJ that you are looking at is supercharged. It has the 3.0L supercharged V6 making 340 hp. More than adequate for that car. BUT!!!!!! You step up to a different trim level, you have the option of a V8 supercharged engine (depending on the trim level, makes between 470 and 575 hp). I cannot speak to either of the supercharged engines because my XJ came with the naturally aspirated V8 (making 385 hp). Guys have tweaked their supercharged V8's up to around 620 hp with a few simple additions.

To the best of my knowledge, the XJ R-Sports all came with the V6 engine. Stepping up to the V8 engine (in whatever form) involves loosing the AWD. So, is the AWD something that is a must have for you? Depending on where you live and whether you plan on driving in the snow, it may be. Having come from the X-Type (NA 3.0L engine with AWD), the X-Type was a monster on the corners and would hug things like you wouldn't believe. yes, that car was a little lighter, but the AWD helped out a lot. I also got to drive the XE-S which has the supercharged V6 of the XJ and AWD on a closed course and pushed the car to its limits. It definitely tossed me in my seat with the car clawing through the corners under very heavy acceleration. The XJ would be slightly less agile, but will still make people be amazed at the car. I guess this is where you have to ask yourself "how often do I plan on driving the car like that?". IT is nice having the knowledge that if you need to push the car in an extreme situation, you have the ability, but honestly, when can you do stuff like that?

I would say to atleast give the XJL a test drive. There is not going to be a dramatic difference in the rides. But, there will be a slight improvement. Like I said, if you are in the position that you need to shuttle clients around or want to ensure your back seat passengers have the best you can offer, then the XJL is a no-brainer. Then the question comes to how much performance you want. The V6 is adequate for most people. But, if you have the need for speed, well, may need to look at different trim packages. I know sometimes I ask myself if I should have shopped around a bit more and got a supercharged V8, but then, I am imagining the stack of tickets I would have had too.

Ken Dreger (10-13-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:38 AM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn_N54
THANK YOU!!

You were thr most helpful

whats your opinion on the car here is a link
It is up to you Shawn, if you are going to drive the car to work or some family outings during weekends, go for the V6. But if you are driving your car for business purposes, such as being a real estate agent and you need to impress your clients, I'd say go for the XJL. If you are doing long drives everyday & needed a little juice on your car, I'd say go for the V8. Go and choose the car your heart desires and where you'll be happy. Whichever you choose, you've made the right decision...after all it is still a Jaguar. Good luck.

I have 2 XJ ad videos for you to see.They're about 7 years old but the options are limited on some current XJ models

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 09-25-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Ken Dreger (09-25-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:54 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

I have owned several XJs through the years. My current '17 XJL AWD is fantastic (supercharged V6). Plenty of power and the ride is exquisite. The extra 5" of rear legroom over the XJ is optimal, so I would always opt for the L version. If Jaguar offered the V8 with AWD and the L version, I would have bought that. But, since they didn't, I went with the config that I have. Just my 2 cents...what would that be in the UK?

Ken Dreger (10-13-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this is the case everywhere or with every year, but when I bought my XJL 2017 here in Canada, it came with the Portfolio spec. This is available on the standard wheelbase too but I only saw one whereas every XJL I looked at was portfolio. This includes quite a few additional options and I'm only aware of one or two things that are not included.

Ken Dreger (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 07:03 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you decide to bite the pervibial bullet and get a Jag, my choice would be the newest XJL Portfolio with the least miles on it and with the most documented maint records. The more options on it the better (I think), from what I have read here you cannot add them to the car if it wasn't ordered with it, like cooled rear seats etc. And the XJL rides like a dream.....

KalamazooJag (10-21-2021)