XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Found a decent indoor/outdoor custom fit car cover for $119

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 12:57 PM
uh2
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Found a decent indoor/outdoor custom fit car cover for $119

This was the first year of me storing my XJ L SC in the garage for the winter. After a while, it became apparent that I needed to put a cover over it to protect it from anyone walking by it (the car is in close quarters, sharing the garage with another car and assorted yard stuff). So, I began my search for an affordable car cover that would protect the paint from light scratches (someone walking by with a book bag or something metal or sharp). This is what I found during my search:
  • Car covers are expensive
  • the cheaper car covers are...cheap. You can see right through the material. They should be classified as dust covers instead, because that's all they're good for.
  • Most of these covers don't seem to last very long.

I didn't want to pay $300 for a cover, but I figured it was inevitable. My girlfriend suggested to me, one night as I was browsing Amazon, that I should check Costco.com. I'm glad I did.

Coverking XtremeWeave Custom Fit Car Cover

I'll post pics and my thoughts after I get the cover on (doing that in a few minutes), but my initial impression upon seeing the material was that I hit the jackpot. It's even described as being durable enough for outdoor storage. And, big plus, I can't see through the material.

I just thought I would give everyone a heads up since I'm sure I'm not the only one who's gone through this.

More details soon.

This cover is truly custom made. It fit perfectly. It took me a few minutes to figure out which side was the front/back after I unrolled it. Apparently I didn't notice the big FRONT label hanging there. Doh.

For $120, I'm extremely happy. This cover is definitely strong enough to keep the car from getting the accidental scratch from people/dogs brushing against it in the garage.

Last edited by uh2; 03-06-2016 at 02:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by uh2:
charliepace (03-28-2016), LiquidIce (03-09-2016), QP7 (07-20-2023), XJsss (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Look great and I checked out the link and for me with a 2013 that has the roof antenna the price was $150 and thats not bad at all. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:20 PM
uh2
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
Look great and I checked out the link and for me with a 2013 that has the roof antenna the price was $150 and thats not bad at all. Thanks for the tip.
After doing a ton of shopping and research, I'm EXTREMELY happy with the quality of this cover. Bonus points for the side mirror and antenna pockets. Additional points for it being a TRUE CUSTOM cover. This cover was made for THIS car.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

I bought one last week and it looks exactly the same, taylor made for my LWB and also listed as indoor/outdoor use. In the UK it was £95 including delivery, very pleased.
My car is normally under a car port anyway but it is to stop it getting dusty if it is not used for a while, also I have to walk past it every day so it helps to protect it as well from being knocked.

Jaguar XJ (X351) Saloon LWB Tailored Indoor/Outdoor Car Cover 2009 Onwards | eBay

Old 07-19-2023, 12:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by amelia4
Finding the right car cover can be a challenge, especially when looking for an affordable option that provides adequate protection. It's important to strike a balance between price and quality. While cheaper car covers may be tempting, their lack of durability and transparency can limit their effectiveness. When searching for affordable used cars near The Bronx, it's always advisable to consider your budget and prioritize quality over a lower price tag. Look for reputable dealerships or online platforms that offer reliable pre-owned vehicles at competitive prices. Don't hesitate to ask for detailed vehicle histories and conduct thorough inspections to ensure you're getting the best value for your money. With careful research and attention to detail, you can find a reliable used car that fits your budget and meets your requirements.
thank you Mr. A.I. Bot

Old 07-23-2023, 04:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Would you feel comfortable using this cover to ship your car on an open trailer?

Old 07-24-2023, 07:39 AM
Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Most car shipping companies in the US will not allow such a cover, for liability reasons. I'd be leery of using a cover on a U-Haul trailer as well. I think the flapping of the fabric would damage the finish. I've shipped several times without a cover with no issues. Put a good coat of wax on the car, and take plenty of "Before" photos. The reputable companies will have you sign a form that has several aspect drawings of a car, with any damage on yours indicated before departure.

The following users liked this post:
wombat (07-26-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 08:10 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Baltobernie
Most car shipping companies in the US will not allow such a cover, for liability reasons. I'd be leery of using a cover on a U-Haul trailer as well. I think the flapping of the fabric would damage the finish. I've shipped several times without a cover with no issues. Put a good coat of wax on the car, and take plenty of "Before" photos. The reputable companies will have you sign a form that has several aspect drawings of a car, with any damage on yours indicated before departure.

Sounds right! Thank you

Old 07-24-2023, 01:40 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

This is the brand of cover I have got for my cars
Jaguar XJ (X351) Saloon LWB Tailored Indoor Car Cover 2009 Onwards (carcarpets.co.uk)

it looks very very similar to the one posted on this thread originally. However I use mine under a covered carport and would not use it fully outside at the risk of the wind flapping it around, this could mark the paintwork.
In my situation it works really well and I have been using them for about 12 years now.
Based on this I would absolutely not use it to cover a car that was to be towed on a trailer.

Last edited by roviw; 07-24-2023 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 11:42 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

That sounds like a good deal. I bought a covercraft 5-layer soft back all climate cover (part# C17367AC), which is awesome, but was also $320.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Outdoor F-Type Car Cover in UK.

Hello,

Just thought I'd throw this info into the thread - I live in the UK and I have a 2021 facelifted F-Type. I have to leave my car on my driveway and I have just bought a Medium Size Outdoor Car Cover from Halfords (this is a general motoring and cycling store chain in the UK). The Medium Outdoor Car Cover is water proof, fleece lined on the inside, and elasticated front and rear, with three adjustable securing straps that go under the car to give it a bit more security. The fit is really good, it doesn't have wing mirror pockets, so I folded those in. The price is £59 in the UK, and if you have a Halfords Trade Card you can get it for £53. It appears to be of good quality and comes with a bag, and I'll post back after this winter with more feedback on its durability. I too did an online search for bespoke F-Type outdoor car covers and some were over £300 and claimed all sorts of stuff. But I went with a cheaper option and I'll see how it gets on.

Halfords Medium Carcover.

The following users liked this post:
roviw (12-18-2023)