XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Front Bumper Removal 12 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:10 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front Bumper Removal 12 XJ

So, I ordered the whole blackout grille kit for my XJ, and I know installation requires the removal of the front bumper. My question is, in the Manual I see there is one screw inside/behind the bumper (inside the wheel liners), so are these screws removable with the wheels on the car? Or would I have to remove the wheels and the wheel liner in order for better access?
I know removal of the liner will obviously be the best bet, but if I can avoid jacking up the car and removing my wheels that would be great!

P.S. I have pinched nerves and slipped disks in my lower and upper back, so the less strain on my back the better.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:35 PM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Did this twice last month... once with the wheels on, once with the wheels off.

Wheels off is easier, esp. if you have back problems.

Be sure to lift the car on both sides simultaneously with two jacks, as recommanded in the manual. Lifting one side and then the other may bend the chassis.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by thierry_1500
Did this twice last month... once with the wheels on, once with the wheels off.

Wheels off is easier, esp. if you have back problems.

Be sure to lift the car on both sides simultaneously with two jacks, as recommanded in the manual. Lifting one side and then the other may bend the chassis.
Thank you! One last question do you know if I would have to remove the front license plate frame in order to remove the main grille? It seems to be in the way of it.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:21 PM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged Jag
Thank you! One last question do you know if I would have to remove the front license plate frame in order to remove the main grille? It seems to be in the way of it.
This I don’t know: I removed the bumper only to upgrade my Xenon bulbs, I did not touch the main grille.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by thierry_1500
This I don’t know: I removed the bumper only to upgrade my Xenon bulbs, I did not touch the main grille.
I see, thanks anyways!

Old 07-01-2020, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

I've swapped the grilles on all mine at one time or another. As Thierry mentioned you don't need to remove the wheels but it is easier if you do. Personally I don't anymore as I can do the removal/refit process by muscle memory now. The only torx bolts that are tricky to access with the wheels still on are the two that hang the rear edge of the bumper to the wing brackets. If you pull out the rim of the wheel arch liners up as far as where the lip ends, you can wedge something soft like a towel or small kitchen roll between the liner and the wing at the top which gives just enough access for a single hand to get in with a bit ratchet or small driver to remove the bolts. I'd suggest wearing long sleeves as well to prevent the liner scratching your wrist to pieces. The rest of the bolts can be easily accessed with the car on its wheels, even the 5 at the rear of the radiator undercover.

I assume you are replacing the lower front vents as well? The outer vents are easy to figure out but can be a git to remove the old ones without damaging them as they get dirt on the clip sliding surfaces which bind them. After removing the screws release the centre-most clips first and work outwards as it is easier to keep the pressure on the grille when you can lever it off the bumper moulding with your other hand. (You'll figure that out when you try it.) The lower grille is bolted from below with bolts hidden under the whisker trims.

If you don't have a slim bit ratchet then get one first - it will be very useful for this task. I use Wera Mini Zyklop one (05073645001), and it gets those rear bumper bolts out easily.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
I've swapped the grilles on all mine at one time or another. As Thierry mentioned you don't need to remove the wheels but it is easier if you do. Personally I don't anymore as I can do the removal/refit process by muscle memory now. The only torx bolts that are tricky to access with the wheels still on are the two that hang the rear edge of the bumper to the wing brackets. If you pull out the rim of the wheel arch liners up as far as where the lip ends, you can wedge something soft like a towel or small kitchen roll between the liner and the wing at the top which gives just enough access for a single hand to get in with a bit ratchet or small driver to remove the bolts. I'd suggest wearing long sleeves as well to prevent the liner scratching your wrist to pieces. The rest of the bolts can be easily accessed with the car on its wheels, even the 5 at the rear of the radiator undercover.

I assume you are replacing the lower front vents as well? The outer vents are easy to figure out but can be a git to remove the old ones without damaging them as they get dirt on the clip sliding surfaces which bind them. After removing the screws release the centre-most clips first and work outwards as it is easier to keep the pressure on the grille when you can lever it off the bumper moulding with your other hand. (You'll figure that out when you try it.) The lower grille is bolted from below with bolts hidden under the whisker trims.

If you don't have a slim bit ratchet then get one first - it will be very useful for this task. I use Wera Mini Zyklop one (05073645001), and it gets those rear bumper bolts out easily.
I swapped both the grilles and the little side chrome pieces last evening and it was pretty straight forward. I removed the wheels because of my back issues, it made it a lot easier like another member said on this thread. Taking the bumper off was the easiest part it took all together 30 minutes to remove the wheels and remove the bumper.

Now the main grille was a new story. I have the front license plate frame on mine so I had to remove that because the thick foam bumper Bar support on the back is screwed into the frame. And then it took a lot of wiggling and whatnot to remove the foam piece. Once out of the way I undid the screws for the grille and it popped right out. The bottom grill was easy, it was just jammed like you said because of dirt. The easiest were the little side chrome blades, two screws and it was out. Putting the bumper again was easy enough and straight forward, reverse of removal.

Also one of the sensors popped/broke off, but nothing a little glue couldn’t fix lol.

Overall if I had to take the bumper off again I would do it myself, it’s easy enough. But i will not be swapping the grilles again. My back hurts pretty bad because of all the wiggling and prying for the grille.

P.S. I’m waiting on another red badge to come in for the grille as the one that came with it had broken tabs and the tape was peeling. Once I receive and throw it on, I will post pics