XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Front door speaker removal.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front door speaker removal.

I need to replace a bad speaker in passenger door it looks like the cover might be remove able and I hope I don't have to take the entire door panel off.

Attached Thumbnails Front door speaker removal.-20160602_213835.jpg  
Old 06-03-2016, 04:09 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NorcalJag
I need to replace a bad speaker in passenger door it looks like the cover might be remove able and I hope I don't have to take the entire door panel off.
That speaker panel snaps out. You just need to purchase the plastic tool needed or use a thin plastic blade, cover a butter knife or a thin fork with tape for protection and pry it out.
If you go to the Guardian Jaguar OEM Sight, you can pull up a picture of the interrior door parts you will be able to see what you need to do.
I would also place tape on the area around the area that you pry against this is just added protection to keep from scratching or putting any indentation on the area of the panel that the tool will be prying against. This is something that I always do regardless of the tool that I am using.
You do not have too but I would recommend staying with the OEM factory speaker or one that is similar in Specs.

Good Luck......

Old 06-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

I would just remove the door card as it is very quick and easy. It took me all of ten minutes to remove my passenger door card and replace the two speakers after one started crackling and I couldn't work out which it was.

You only need to go up to #14 in the attached instructions. It looks complicated, but when you have your hands on the door it is actually very straightforward. Just be firm when you come to pull it off the clips - I've never broken any, but they do hold tight.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
NorcalJag (06-09-2016), pellowe (06-06-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 11:01 AM
MHT

Originally Posted by xdave
I would just remove the door card as it is very quick and easy. It took me all of ten minutes to remove my passenger door card and replace the two speakers after one started crackling and I couldn't work out which it was.

You only need to go up to #14 in the attached instructions. It looks complicated, but when you have your hands on the door it is actually very straightforward. Just be firm when you come to pull it off the clips - I've never broken any, but they do hold tight.
Might I ask why would you want to remove the entire door panel, when you can access both of the door speakers by just removing the speaker grill for the bottom speaker and the wood grain panel for the top speaker?

Old 06-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Yes of course. For the top speaker you just remove the wood/metal trim piece, but for the bottom speaker the clips can break off on the upper corner (nearest the handle) unless you are very careful. They are not designed to be removed from the front, but by releasing the clips from the rear. If car has been in for rattle fixes then you could also find that the lower speaker grille has either been hot glued or taped to the rear of the panel. Mine was tesa fabric taped.

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
MHT (06-04-2016), NorcalJag (06-09-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by MHT
Might I ask why would you want to remove the entire door panel, when you can access both of the door speakers by just removing the speaker grill for the bottom speaker and the wood grain panel for the top speaker?
First off thanks guys for the help.

Second xdave was right. i should of removed door panel. Snapped speaker cover in half. speaker covers didn't look like they ĉome off and you cant access speaker even if they were made to pop off. I usēd a set of the pllastic tools but still snapped it.

Third is. Do i need to buy an entire door card or can i buy just the fake speaker grill?

Thanks guys

Old 06-05-2016, 03:57 AM
MHT

Originally Posted by NorcalJag
First off thanks guys for the help.

Second xdave was right. i should of removed door panel. Snapped speaker cover in half. speaker covers didn't look like they ĉome off and you cant access speaker even if they were made to pop off. I usēd a set of the pllastic tools but still snapped it.

Third is. Do i need to buy an entire door card or can i buy just the fake speaker grill?

Thanks guys
You can order a speaker grill from the dealership parts department or on line from Guardian Parts. It cost about $29.00 and will come color coded to the color of the car.
I am sorry this happened but from the picture of the grill you can see the pins on the grill as if it just snaps in place. It apperared that you only needed to remove the grill to access the speaker.
When I replaced my door sills and trunk finisher with the illuminated ones, I will say it took some effort to get the old ones out as the retaining clips really held them down tightly.

Last edited by MHT; 06-05-2016 at 04:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NorcalJag (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

The speaker grille for a RH front door is C2D1035 and then your three letter interior colour code. I'm not familiar with that colour - is it cashew? If so C2D1035APH would be the part. Your trim colour code should be printed on a label stuck to one of the outer pillars when the doors are open, or you can look it up from the VIN for free on the Jaguar TOPIx site. The VIN decoder on this site might work too, but doesn't have every car.

Generally speaking the door car grilles are not designed to come off without releasing the clips carefully as it helps to avoid rattles. If when refitting you notice any play in it at all then a strip of cloth tape either around the mating edge or over both parts to hold it tight will work, or you can use a hot glue gun or something like bluetack.

NorcalJag (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 10:43 PM

The speaker grille for a RH front door is C2D1035 and then your three letter interior colour code. I'm not familiar with that colour - is it cashew? If so C2D1035APH would be the part. Your trim colour code should be printed on a label stuck to one of the outer pillars when the doors are open, or you can look it up from the VIN for free on the Jaguar TOPIx site. The VIN decoder on this site might work too, but doesn't have every car.

Generally speaking the door car grilles are not designed to come off without releasing the clips carefully as it helps to avoid rattles. If when refitting you notice any play in it at all then a strip of cloth tape either around the mating edge or over both parts to hold it tight will work, or you can use a hot glue gun or something like bluetack.
The color is INTERIOR BURR WALNUT PACK. That is from TOPIx site and I'll check door though to make sure.

What size are though speakers?

Thanks again you guys for your help.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Xdave,

Can you please attach a diagram for how to remove the rear passenger door panel? That speaker is rattling pretty bad.

Thanks in advance.

XJLFTW (10-29-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 02:04 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gagman66
Hi Xdave,

Can you please attach a diagram for how to remove the rear passenger door panel? That speaker is rattling pretty bad.

Thanks in advance.
Just in case the speaker looks okay, once you do get the door torn apart look for this little fix for the rattle before re-placing the whole speaker:

DanJensen (02-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2020, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

If you do break any of the plastic door panel clips they are # C2P7160.
Of course I did break about 4 of them!

Old 08-19-2020, 08:56 PM
Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by MHT
The large bottom speaker grill certainly does not come out independent of the door panel, unless maybe it's been broken and replaced- I accessed the front passenger door speakers today, and the door panel was the easiest and best-made door panel I've had to remove.
The lower speaker grill is a plastic welded part of the whole panels

But there are only 3 screws and a bolt securing the panel along with a lot of snap fasteners around the perimeter, that were easy to remove & install.
And for connections, just one electric connector and the cable connection for the door handle pull, both easy to disconnect & reconnect.

The buzz on our large lower speaker sounded like a blown speaker, but when I removed the speaker, that paper "button" was blown-off and laying in the bottom of the door panel, so I re-glued it to the back of the speaker, and it's buzz-free and producing good base now.

Last edited by 12jagmark; 08-19-2020 at 08:59 PM.
DanJensen (02-25-2021)