XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Front sunshade - Movement issue and AWFUL noise - Any DIY fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front sunshade - Movement issue and AWFUL noise - Any DIY fixes?

Hi,

Just new to this Jag Forum and so pleased to be here. Hoping that someone out there may have a knowledge of how to complete this problem and fix described below. As per the post title - My front sunshade (cloth) as sits below the front sunroof glass has stopped operating. On pressing the retract / close button in the front headlining console the motor now continues to run in the roof, but with no motion of the sunshade; solely a truly awful clicking (I'm presuming the motor/mechanism clutch) noise. Another owner has recently come across this problem and posted it very well here on YouTube:

Exactly the same thing as I am experiencing, and, as I posted to that YouTube channel:

"Hi @AIR_FUEL_SPARK - I have exactly this same problem since last week with my MY2011 Jaguar XJ. Any luck or further insights from here or other forums? Like you - I am enthusiastic to get this fixed. I haven't started dismantling anything as yet but your video as above is a massive help as a starter. Just that I do not want to start dismantling without a prior knowlegde that something can be completed as a fix...."

Does anyone here in this forum have any experience or guidance on a DIY resolution as might avoid $1,000's+ being gifted to a Jaguar dealer here?!

Old 04-09-2024, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Might do some searches on the forum?
Sunshade problems have been reported and fixed but there are different problems depending on what went wrong.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My advice as a NON-DIY guy is don't try and force it like I did. Both my front and rear blinds would close to about being a 1/4" from being totally closed. As the car
was being driven , the gap would slowly get larger and larger until it was about 3/4 of the way totally open and this really irritated me. Then, I would push the close button
and it would close to about 1/4" again. One day I became so fed up that I decided to force it the last 1/4" and wound up breaking both the little plastic clips which hold
the sunshade to the frame . Snap, the sunshade went totally open and now it won't close at all though the motor seems to run fine. I really don't want to give the Jag
dealer $2000 for what amounts to taking the whole assembly unit out for two plastic clips and fixing the darn thing, so I just ride around with both sunshades in the open
position. Ah yes, the joys of my 2012 XJL which I just can't part with.
gpk

Old 04-14-2024, 06:41 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I also have the same issue as the video. Motor keeps trying to wind backwards not forward. I changed the motor out for one from a tear down but it didn’t make any difference. Tool access and visibility is also a bit annoying. An arched plastic piece fell off as I removed the motor. I think I put it back in the right place.

There is also a set screw in the front of the motor. Anyone know what it does?

Black set screw in the front of the sunshade motor. What does it do?

Edit: The set screw does nothing. It connects to the main motor and turning it may mess up the motor. The motor turns a plastic gear that in turn turns a metal gear (see picture of the motor opened up below). Why an engineer thought it would be a good idea to use so many different materials, I’ll never know.

Opened up motor.

Last edited by Nedoerr; 04-14-2024 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

See the attached TSB's on the Moon roof. As I posted there are a number of different problems that can happen.
There was a huge problem with the pano roof creaking and I have some more TSB's on that if your having that problem.

Since your motor is working I don't think that's your problem. Focus on the getting the timing of everything right.

Good pictures too! They are always a help so we can see what your doing.

Do you have the manual? It's got sections on the roof and how to adjust things.

Last edited by clubairth1; 04-15-2024 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:32 PM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

The horrible noise is likely due to worn gears on the drive motor. Most likely you'll need to replace the drive motor and drive spindle as I had to. If you've gone to all the effort to access the thing, you might as well do it once. Was an absolute pig of a job the first time around. Whilst there replace the sunroof guide shoes (cheap enough) and read up on how to preload the coiled spring for the sunroof blind. It's easier to refit the blind onto the shoes by taking the glass out otherwise it's a lot of trial and error and swearing trying to do it blind - so to speak. You'll also need to recalibrate the blind with a decent diagnostic tool so it closes and opens to the correct points.

Also have a few of the roof clips as spares as these easily get brittle and break with age. Easier to have them and not need them then break one or two and stop you in your tracks 👍

Last edited by fossberry; 04-15-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
See the attached TSB's on the Moon roof. As I posted there are a number of different problems that can happen.
There was a huge problem with the pano roof creaking and I have some more TSB's on that if your having that problem.

Since your motor is working I don't think that's your problem. Focus on the getting the timing of everything right.

Good pictures too! They are always a help so we can see what your doing.

Do you have the manual? It's got sections on the roof and how to adjust things.
Thanks. Read the documents and have a better idea now. Also found this link with pictures:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...l-assembly.pdf

I will get to this eventually. May take me a few weeks of playing around as I have a lot of work travel planned.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:12 PM

Making slow progress. Dropped the headliner and removed front sunroof for better visibility.

Dropped headliner

Removed sunroof

Took a video of motor working, but no movement (see below). It’s clear I need to remove the entire blind motor assembly to see what’s going on. To do this it looks like I need to remove the blind first (while maintaining its spring tension using a special clip) and then remove the assembly.

I am slightly concerned about the poor quality of the cartoon-based instructions; they are hardly good enough to build IKEA furniture, let alone fix a complex car module.

I am traveling again, so will have to put the sunroof glass back on and resume again later. Let me know if anyone has any good tips. Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3852.mov (5.48 MB, 8 views)
Old 04-28-2024, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Making good progress and yes the manuals and instructions leave a lot to be desired for sure!
Thanks for the pictures because it's hard to follow what's going on and they show many details we otherwise would miss.

Old 04-28-2024, 12:41 PM

Before re-affixing the sunroof glass for my pause, I took the opportunity to treat some of the rust (a known issue, at least on earlier models). I used Rustoleum rust converter for this. I also treated all the rubber weatherstripping/ seals with Gummi Pfledge Stift to soften them back up. There are seals both on the car where the sunroof sits and the underside of the glass mounting bracket.

Products used

Taped up before painting

After painting with rust converter on the drivers side

After painting rust converter on the passenger side

Underside of glass, showing mounting bracket.