XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injectors

Engine light goes on and off. Mechanic has cleaned the throttle body but thinks that the problem is the fuel injectors. Does anyone know of a product that can clean the injectors without having to replace them? Thanks,

Old 01-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Without codes you are shooting in the dark!
Stop doing anything until you know what your problem is.

Go to any parts store and get the codes read. Make sure they clear all codes when done. Drive until you get the check engine light and get the codes read again. You need repeatable codes for troubleshooting.

Let us know what the codes are.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I use BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner and has worked for me on all my cars.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:48 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

Be careful cleaning those throttle bodies, sometimes the coating inside the bore and on the butterfly can come off and cause issues down the road.

As for fuel system/injector cleaner, I second XJsss, BG is a really good product. Used the same product at dealer I used to work for in the USA. Have also used Techron with no issues.

Don B had posted in another thread what he uses, I'll see if I can find it, but sounds like a nice cocktail for the fuel system. With any luck, he'll respond before I find it...

Old 01-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Received 171 Likes on 160 Posts

I used to buy only Chevron gas because it had Techron in it. Chevron is not available here so I buy Techron at Wall-mart occasionally. It's not as cheap as it used to be but then what is?

Old 01-29-2018, 03:08 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

Ok found it..... Hope this helps.

@ rhmanski - yep I hear ya. Wish they had Chevron here where I am, that was my fuel of choice as well, otherwise it was Shell. The Chevron with techron fuel cleaner is a good product though, used it every vehicle I had. Before moving to NZ, had an 06 Crown Vic, didn't really have any mods on it, just used synthetic oils/fluids, and ran the techron fuel system treatments through, at best was getting 33mpg during summer with ac on in Houston. When I bought it in 08, it was only getting about 24 on highway. Yes the synthetic oils contributed to this, but if you do run some sort of fuel system/injector cleaner through ever so often, results in better performance and can prevent issues, IMO...

Ok jds - the bit below is for you - this was from a thread from a member asking about Lucas products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Acula
Hello Ladies and Gents,
I went to my local Auto shop and I always see this "Lucas" Fuel Injectors and transmission additives BUT!

Hi Dr. Acula,

I have used many of the Lucas products, including their fuel system treatment. I have not used their transmission additives, but over the years I have heard reports of their successful use. I have used their gear oils and "Oil Stabilizer" extensively and believe they are among the best products available for differentials and manual transmissions.

Most of the fuel injector/system cleaners are simple blends of mild solvents and/or oils. The solvents are typically ones known to the public as paint thinners, such as Naptha/Hydrotreated Petroluem Distillates and Mineral Spirits/Stoddard Solvent/White Spirits. The oils ar typically Mineral Oil/Hydrotreated Petroleum Distillates Heavy Paraffinic and or Sewing Machine Oil/Pale Oil. You can confirm this for yourself by googling the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for any of the popular brands, including Lucas, BG 44K, STP, Seafoam, Gumout, Royal Purple, Chevron Techron, etc.

For the record, I have used Techron concentrate in my home fuel injector cleaning rig, and it works great. I can literally watch an injector open up as its conical spray pattern is restored. However, that is using the concentrated form of Techron, forced directly into injectors on my bench. Given that in normal use the Techron is significantly diluted in a full tank of gasoline/petrol, I would expect any cleaning of the fuel system and injectors to be minimal. But any reversal of varnish/gunk accumulation is worthwhile, so using a bottle in the tank at each oil change is not a bad idea, especially if you mix your own as I now do: Mineral Spirits about 50%, Naptha about 30%, Mineral Oil about 20%, or whatever I have on hand. This mixture is very similar to Techron and BG 44K. I use old Techron and Lucas bottles to put it in the fuel tank.

Regarding your ASC light, it's certainly worth cleaning the wheel speed sensors, but if that doesn't resolve the issue, I second JBsXJ40's recommendation to have the diagnostic trouble codes scanned by a system capable of reading the proprietary Jaguar C (Chassis) codes. The most common causes of the light are a failing wheel speed sensor, an intermittent break in sensor wiring harness, or one or more cold solder joints on the circuit board inside the ABS module, particularly the two large pins for the pump connection, but also other solder joints on the circuit board such as those for the larger electrical connector through which all the wheel speed sensor signals pass.

Cheers,

Don

Old 01-29-2018, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I am not even sure if you could do anything to chemically clean direct injected engine. With traditional injectors I use SeaFoam injector cleaner.

AJ V6 and V8 use ultra-high pressure fuel injection. If these injectors go, they are a) very expensive to replace b) can turn into a "water cutter" and damage cylinder wall or piston.

However, don't assume zebras. Look into the codes. The most common reason for intermittent check engine light is some emission-related crap. Having faulty injector would also result in a rough running car. If it accelerates and idles fine, it unlikely injector.

Last edited by SinF; 01-29-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

jds, something that may sound obvious, but most people miss is simply going to a different brand of gas. I say this because every major manufacturer has their own blend of fuel additives. By going to a different brand, you get different detergents which is what cleans your injectors. Sure, you can toss a can of BG or Techron on top of that, but it may be something that simple.

I have used both of those products and had good results.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

While there are many different gas brands I use only those that are Top Tier Gas. see list of brands. Home | Top Tier Gas

What I.m trying to say here is there are those that are the original purchaser of our XJs and those that may have purchased at a great price these great cars, but to treat them as a cheap car is only inviting early failures.The cheapest way to enjoy your XJ is to treat it right and not skimp on lubrication or quality fuels. IMHO

Last edited by XJsss; 01-30-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

ARCO claims to be 'Top Tier Gas' but how many people put it in their luxury cars?