XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Gas fumes in cabin - 2011 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gas fumes in cabin - 2011 XJ

I saw this post below in another forum............"I bought a 2011 XJ in May, and I now have 1,500 miles on it. Last week I went out with my faimily to dinner. After we left the restaurant, we started driving away and noticed a strong smell of gas in the cabin, and an unidentified sound (clicking, tinkering, ticking...not sure). I was concerned about driving it afterwards, so when I got home, I had Alpine Jaguar of Ft. Laduerdale tow the car in to their shop. They found a loose sway bar, and a small leak in what they called a minor gas line. That was last week. I picked up the car yesterday, and everything seemed fine. Today, while running errands and listening to a Beatles cut that I had downloaded to the hard drive, the radio stopped working, and it showed "Pause" on the screen. I couldn't get it unpaused, and I tried to play another CD that I had downloaded to the car's hard drive. That didn't work, and the Sirius satellite, FM, and the bluetooth connection all were not working as well. I then tried to play a CD, but that didn't work, and it wouldn't eject the CD. I called Jaguar and they said that they needed to do a "hard restart", and that it's apparently not an uncommon problem with the 2011 XJ's. A car shouldn't have this many problems, regardless of how much the car costs."................And wouldn't you know, I had this gas smell in my car this morning. Lasted for about 20 minutes and had to drive with the windows down. It was sort of gas, noxious fumes, smell/odor. Not somthing one shoudl be inhaling...very toxix odor.

Last edited by pwl; 10-07-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

And did you know that the very first of the XJ saloons in 1968 had reports of exhaust fumes in the cabin !

It was eventually traced to the shape of the exhaust pipes, which then came straight back out of the rear valence. So a new "wiggly" pipe was installed on each exhaust pipe after test, (in a wind tunnel I believe), and all was well for the next 20 years of production !!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

What an irony this is , new XJs have nothing to do with the classical Jag styling but carry out a strange problem associated with its ancestor

Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repairs

the blind spot indictator stopped working,because the body shop didn't plug it in properly when putting the bumper back on,the thumping was a loose sway bar which should have been caught on the final inspection before delivery but wasn't the gas smell,was a small leak in a "minor gas line" thet have no idea how that happened.shortly after i got it back from all that the sound ststem,radio, bluetooth etc. all froze softwear glitch. everything was fixed quite promptly by prestige jag in lauderdale so far everything's been ok