XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Gas Gauge going to "0" and then recovering to proper level

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts
Default Gas Gauge going to "0" and then recovering to proper level

My gas gauge recently started to go to "0" and then recovers in a couple of minutes or when the car is restarted. When it recovers it goes to the proper level. I have scheduled a service visit and my tech feels it may be the fuel gauge level sensor that has gone bad. I haven't heard of this on the current Xj X351 but had this issue that was common on my previous XJRs. Anyone else have a history of this issue? BTW I have @62k miles on my SuperSport.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

XJsss, from what you describe, that does sound like the fuel level sensor finding a bad spot in the sensor, causing a really high resistance which will cause the indication to go low. If you can put the instrument cluster into diagnostic mode, you can normally see the signal directly from the sensor itself (reads out in a reading of 0-255) and that will tell you if the problem is the sensor or if there is another problem with one of the computers.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 850 Likes on 531 Posts

XJsss,

Does Georgia have high levels of Ethanol in the fuel (up to 10%)?

I've been having this issue on our X350. I pulled the senders and cleaned the contacts, and it worked great for a few months. Then it started to occur again. After some research this is becoming common on several models of cars because Ethanol can promote corrosion that interferes with the contacts.

At your next fill-up, try adding a bottle of the concentrated Techron (it's $5 at Walmart) to clean the contacts, and with each subsequent fill-up use a Ethanol conditioner and stabilizer. I've been using Lucas Safeguard and you only need a few ounces per fill-up so it is a cost effective solution.

Since starting to use the conditioner the problem has stopped. However, one weekend we drove down to Southern California and I filled the tank without the conditioner because I didn't have it with me, and the problem occurred again. Re-filled with the conditioner, problem went away.

EDIT - If your car is still under warranty, and you can get them to replace your sender you should go that course first.

Last edited by Mac Allan; 08-11-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
If you can put the instrument cluster into diagnostic mode, you can normally see the signal directly from the sensor itself (reads out in a reading of 0-255) and that will tell you if the problem is the sensor or if there is another problem with one of the computers.
Seems like being able to put the screen into diagnostic mode would be great at diagnosing a multitude of problems. Do you know how to put it into that mode?

Old 08-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

@Thermo-I do not know how to put the instrument cluster into diagnostic mode, anyone out there that does please share the procedure with us.
@ Mac Allen-Like most states we can have up to 10% Ethanol and find that most non "Top Tier" brands do push that max, but I very rarely use any fuel that is not Top Tier rated. When I'm getting gas I consult Gas Buddy App and that tells me everything I need to know like price, location, brand, and Top Tier.

Also, this morning I replaced the secondary "ECO" battery as the original had lost a cell months ago, but wasn't getting the warning light (and stop/start was not working and like it that way) on till recently and think that may have been around the same time the Fuel Gauge problem arose. So i'll give it a day or two till that battery is charged enough for stop/start to start working and see if my gas gauge issue goes away. In any event I have the appointment at the dealer next week and they'll resolve it.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 850 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
@ Mac Allen-Like most states we can have up to 10% Ethanol and find that most non "Top Tier" brands do push that max, but I very rarely use any fuel that is not Top Tier rated. When I'm getting gas I consult Gas Buddy App and that tells me everything I need to know like price, location, brand, and Top Tier.
Just as background, in California all the Top Tier brands have the 10% max, and now only a handful of independents even offer no Ethanol fuel.

Good luck

Old 08-13-2016, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

XJsss, I am working on that. I have a few ideas and I will do some playing.

The following users liked this post:
XJsss (08-13-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Got my XJ back today and it was the right side fuel level sensor that was bad. The tech had ordered the part that was @ $120 and when he inspected it it had a 2 wire connector and the old sensor had a 3 wire connector that has an extra common wire that allows the left sensor to work in conjunction with the right level sensor. So in order to get the correct right sensor it is sold only as an assembly with the tank fuel pump for $520 but as i have the extended warranty through Jaguar it was all covered. I will say that the tech said that if I had no warranty he could have used the 2 wire level sensor by splicing one of the wires.

Anyway, got the chance to have a brand new (160miles on the odo) XE 35t loaner that had almost all the bells and whistles. Wow, what fun! More fun and sound than a BMW340 and handled just as well and better over bumps. Felt a lot like my old 2001 XJR, just not as luxurious The center infotainment/nav/etc was great.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran member

For those wanting to put the instrument cluster into diagnostic mode, this is what you have to do:

-press and hold down the TRIP button, wait 3 seconds
-with your foot off of the brake pedal, momentarily press the START/STOP button while you are still holding down the TRIP button
-still holding the trip button down, wait for the right side of the instrument cluster to say "Press the OK button", no release the TRIP button
-the right side of the instrument cluster will now say "Press TRIP button to enter Engineering Test Mode". Press the trip button.

From here, you can press the trip button and one of the screens about 20 pushes in will talk about fuel level and it will have 3 different indications.
Unfortunately, this procedure does not work with the engine running. Still trying to figure that one out.

The following users liked this post:
LiquidIce (08-30-2016)