XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Gearbox Fault & Adaptive Dynamics Fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020 | 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

When my dealer tech did the fluid change they recommend changing the pan and the sleeve as the sleeve replacement when the pan is off is so easy, but as to leaking I am unaware of any issue.

Old 01-23-2020 | 01:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Just one additional question?

Does the 8 speed have the same sealing sleeve leak that the 6 speed ZF does?
I ask because the 8 sp fluid change kits do not include the sealing sleeve but they still contain the improved steel pan bolts. So I know the pan bolt problem still exists on the 8 speed.
So far at 42K miles I see no leakage on mine yet.
I don't know if the sleeve leak is an issue on the 8 speed but its definitely not as easy to replace as it was on the 6 speed. I tracked down the 8 speed sleeve and was intending to proactively replace it this past summer when I replaced my pan and fluid, and I discovered it is way up in a very enclosed spot, totally different from its location on the 6 speed. To my untrained eyes, it almost looked like the valve body had to be pulled in order to get to it. So my mechatronic sleeve is sitting in the garage collecting dust.

Old 01-23-2020 | 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks much as that was EXACTLY what I was afraid of.
But I don't see that you had any leakage from the sleeve?
So maybe we can ignore that on the 8 sp version?

Old 01-23-2020 | 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

No, there was no leaking and I have yet to hear of anyone having that problem on the 8 speed.

Old 11-29-2022 | 02:39 AM

Interesting thread. I have experienced the same symptoms in one car and similar in another. The first car wasn't a Jaguar, it is a Mercedes SLS Roadster with the Getrag 7DCL750 box.2012 model manufactured August and problems began at 24,000 km with precisely the same symptoms. After just over 2 years trying to find a fix I admitted defeat and have bought a new gearbox, about 20,000 pounds equivalent. I am pretty sure that the actual problem was the control unit. We had replaced a solenoid and another fault emerged. It was better to get a new box and keep the old one as a refurbed spare. A new control unit was about 40% of the new box price.

Now my 2012 XJ 5.0 SC is doing similar things, not when the trans (and fluids) are at operating temp but cold. And includes the engine shutting down. Honestly I don't want to go through this with another car. Does anyone know whether you can get a new control unit, or a new gearbox and what the part number is and approximate cost. It is at a Jag dealer atm and he said a gearbox will be about 20,000 pounds also. I am in NZ and we get ripped off for parts here. I might just put a sequential manual race box into it.

Old 11-29-2022 | 04:49 AM

I'm getting a simmilar problem - even opened another thread regarding it. My problem is that the problem accures only when wipers are on - not sure why but wipers are causiong my speedometer to go up by 10mph when thay are working. This causes the Gearbox Fault & Adaptive Dynamics Fault.
Not sure what to get from that.

Old 11-29-2022 | 11:18 AM

I know from the work we did on the Getrag box for the SLS that the control unit and solenoids require an electrical "signal" ie it has to be within a very tight band other the the TCU will think it or something is faulting. So that is what I would be thinking, look for electrical.

Old 11-30-2022 | 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

All of these problems set codes. You need to get the car hooked up to a SDD and then post what codes it has. These are far to complicated cars to guess and throw parts at. Those days are LONG gone!

Old 02-24-2023 | 08:52 AM

I understand that - the problem is that there is no error code associated with the fault.

What I've done before was to lube the wiper arm to see if that help - no change.
After that I have changed the whole wiper arm with the new wiper motor - unfortunately no change.
It all looks like a ground problem now - but where should I look .. is there any ground points near the transmission ?
Completely lost.

Old 02-24-2023 | 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by JS NZ
I know from the work we did on the Getrag box for the SLS that the control unit and solenoids require an electrical "signal" ie it has to be within a very tight band other the the TCU will think it or something is faulting. So that is what I would be thinking, look for electrical.
OK, maybe what i am going to say will help some people, it is actually pretty amazing and it is hard to find any commentary on the sites but there is some comment out there. It may be long winded. To follow on from my earlier post about it being electrical. I ended up replacing the gearbox at a franchise dealer for mega dollars. I got the car flat-bedded back to my place. Unloaded and i drove it to get petrol less than 1 km away. A fault emerged, engine oil control unit. Told dealer. I drove it 2 days later, same fault. Another drive but longer about 50km. New fault emerge from 3 other independent systems. Shutdown, restart and clear. So, I have gone to the dealer with a theory.

The vehicle and probably XJs als o have a voltage regulator(my XJ gearbox issue was actually a worn engine mount, but not this issue). The voltage regulator is a unit on its one(can be part of the alternator assembly in some cars). It can be damaged by an alternator on the way out but not yet failed. The regulator is generally not itself monitored for a fault, so no CEL for that if bad. Faults are generally triggered by a voltage outside programmed parameters. So the voltage regulator can send out voltage spikes if damaged. I changed the alternator about a year ago after a catastrophic failure. Service manager said it may be possible but he knew nothing about regulators. So it is going to the country tech director and no doubt back to manufacturer.

So if your symptoms are similar I would change the regulator(it is cheap). It may save very expensive repairs(or not!). I wonder how many gearboxes have been changed in the world when this may be the issue.

BTW I know about voltage regulators because my 50 year old Piper Navajo has 2, a main and alternate.

Old 02-24-2023 | 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Unless you have hooked the car up to a proper SDD you won't see those codes. Yes there are at least 6 or more codes just for the alternator and it's charging system.
Again to see these deep codes the car MUST be connected to a SDD system.

Old 02-24-2023 | 01:15 PM

There are no codes for the non-computerised voltage regulators from what I understand. Voltage regulators can be combined in the alternator but I think they are computerised and they can throw a code. Maybe there is an electrical issue with the non-computerised ones because of what it does . As a stand alone unit they are only tested with a multi-meter and the test isn't straight forward. I have read some McLaren drivers have experienced the issue I have spoken about.

One of the MB service managers came on a drive with me while he had the diagnostic hooked up about 1.5 years ago. . (This issue went on for about 2.5 years for a range of issues including COVID lock-down and then a 6 month wait for the box, it was going to be 12. ). He actually saw a couple of voltage spikes but he and I didn't understand the significance. At that time the alternator hadn't failed. It is only now piecing it all together that this theory is plausible.

Old 02-26-2023 | 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

The X351 XJ does have numerous codes for the charging system. You will not see them until the car is scanned with a SDD system.
You knowledge of what you think the your car is doing is of zero help! You must follow what the car is telling you.
There is no other way unless you load the parts canon and start replacing random parts based on your theory's?

Your MB and Mclaren experiences are again of zero value. Focus on YOUR car and it's problems!

Old 02-26-2023 | 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
The X351 XJ does have numerous codes for the charging system. You will not see them until the car is scanned with a SDD system.
You knowledge of what you think the your car is doing is of zero help! You must follow what the car is telling you.
There is no other way unless you load the parts canon and start replacing random parts based on your theory's?

Your MB and Mclaren experiences are again of zero value. Focus on YOUR car and it's problems!
I have never said there are not charging system codes. The regulator doesn't appear to be part of the charging system. While I do have a 2012 XJ 5.0 SC, I was making a comment to the original poster and something I had come across regarding what I have found with my own gearbox issues with my SLS but car type is irrelevant for the regulator issue. And that SLS has been scanned by Mercedes multiple times. It would appear a regulator doesn't seem to have its own codes. As I say car type is irrelevant and it appears to be an issue not well understood by senior workshop staff. I assume you didn't read my earlier posts on this or maybe your football team lost at the weekend but don't bother ranting as it's just a bad look and you are probably not a bad guy. .