XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Headlight doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight turn signals do not work

Need your help again people! I have a 2015 XJ L (Portfolio) that the driver's side turn signals do not work. The old headlight connection pins were rusted out and I assume, shorted out the old headlight. I replaced the connector in the harness and got a new headlight bucket and it still doesn't work. (All other lights and headlight work on the car) Fuses: The fuses in the rear seat fuse box (F23 thru F25) are all good. The dash board "error" light is still blinking even though the low/high beam light works. ONLY the turn signals lights, driver's side, DO NOT work. So, is there a relay I need to look at and where is it? What else can I be missing? Thanks to all.

Last edited by jaguarguy100; 08-01-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-01-2024, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Can't say yet?
Have you swapped the passenger side light over to the drivers side and see if it works? Maybe go the other way too?

With a dash light on I think you will need to scan the car to determine what the error code is? Might have additional problems from the rusted connector.
Have any of the stock bulbs been replaced?

Old 08-02-2024, 08:00 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Can't say yet?
Have you swapped the passenger side light over to the drivers side and see if it works? Maybe go the other way too?

With a dash light on I think you will need to scan the car to determine what the error code is? Might have additional problems from the rusted connector.
I have not switched out the bucket yet. I will change the bulb (Even though the high low beam does work) while the bumper is off. I hate to have Jaguar scan it but that's probably the answer. Thanks man! Keith--

Old 08-02-2024, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Yea me too, but with how complicated these cars are we really don't have a another way?

Old 08-02-2024, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

jaguarguy100, hopefully I can help you and get this resolved without too many issues. All of my measurements are going to have the black lead to some bare metal spot on the body/frame of the car. If you can, use a pair of alligator clips to attach to this spot so you can keep your hands free for holding things.

So, lets start with the car in the OFF state. If you look at the headlight plug. If you look at the inside, you should see some numbers next to where the pins go in. I want you to locate Pins 9 and 12 (both should have a black wire coming out the back side of the plug). Using a multimeter set to resistance (2K scale is fine), I want you to put the red lead into the Pin 9 hole. You should see the multimeter go to a reading of under 5 ohms (should really be down around 0.5 to 1.0 because that is the resistance of your leads). If you don't get this reading, you need to fix the black wire to chassis ground before anything else is going to work. Repeat for Pin 12. Again, if you are not getting a very low resistance, fix that first.

Now that we know we have a good ground for the headlights. I want you to start the car and turn on the headlights. Now, set the multimeter to monitor 20 VDC. Touch the red lead to Pin 11 (brown wire with a blue stripe). Did you get 13ish VDC (above 13.0 is good)? If no, then you most likely have an issue with the central junction box since your passenger side works. If you do have 13ish VDC, then plug in the headlight assembly. The headlight should come on. If not, you have a bad ballast and/or a bad bulb.

I am going to break here for the moment because I suspect that if you find your central fuse box bad, that is going to resolve everything else that is wrong. If not, then we can take things from there.

The following users liked this post:
tonyman121 (08-06-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 09:05 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Can't say yet?

I have not changed out ANY bulbs but the low/high beam light works. I am not aware that you can change out the turn signal lights as they appear to be sealed into the housing. Am I wrong about that?.

Old 08-05-2024, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

You are right. Those are sealed inside.