XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Help!!! 2011 xj brakes GROAN...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,902 Likes on 3,206 Posts

jb, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of useful information here. So, look around, see what you can find and go from there. We also ask that you stop by the "New Member" forum and introduce yourself there. I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in you as you have one of the "new toys" (I know I am interested as I am looking at possibly upgrading). So, stop by, tell us a little bit about yourself.

Now, for your problem. The groaning that you are hearing is most likely from the pads vibrating some against the caliper, resulting in the groan that you are hearing. My normal fix for something like that is to remove the calipers from the rotors and then remove the pads. Then on the backside of the pads to lay some "brake quiet" pad adhesive. This will "glue" the pad to the pistons in the caliper while also putting a very thin rubber layer between the pad and the caliper. This should resolve your noise issue.

I know this is the "cheap" way out, but I also find that it works too. So, call it what you want. The only other thing that I could possibly recommend is doing a pad changeout on the car and seeing if that helps. It is possible one of the pads got something on it and now it isn't seating right, leading to the vibration.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know if this model has "anti-squeal" shims or not (a 'squeal' being a soprano version of a groan) , but the mechanics should check if they are all there, as one may have been missed during assembly at the factory. They are fitted in the place Thermo highlights, between caliper's piston and pad's back plate. Often made of a soft-ish metal.
BTW, the busses in Leeds do this, and the noise goes right through you...
Leedsman.