XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

HELP: 2012 XJL power seat adjusts in pulses and not smooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo - Makes sense as I was pulling my hair as to the combination of connections. I look forward to your drawing as I'll be able to test it immediately.. Thanks again for working on the issue for me. Please also add to your drawing the air pump wiring setip based from my previous thread comment as it is confusing as to how it gets triggered.

Last edited by guanshee; 05-11-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,913 Likes on 3,215 Posts

Here is the new drawing. I took the info from the diagram that you included and drew the lines to make it work. Of note, the wiring for the fill pump can use either the power wires or the ground wires. From your last post, it sounds like you know the 2 wires for the ground that need to be connected to make the pump start. If there are more questions, keep them coming. We WILL!!!! make this work.

Attached Thumbnails HELP: 2012 XJL power seat adjusts in pulses and not smooth-seat-diagram-out-car.jpg  
Old 05-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Veteran member

If you are worried about shorting things out, you can't with this setup. You can inflate say the top of the lumbar pillow and deflate the lower and there will be no problems. All will work as it should. Not sure if that was something that you had thought of or not. Just make sure that you get the wires to the correct terminals. It can get a little confusing (I should know, I had to draw this thing 3 times to get it correct). Slow and steady.

When assembling this, you may find it easiest to use the press on spade connectors so you can change around the wiring since it will essentially plug on to the terminals of the switches (most switches that can handle 10 amps will have fairly decent size terminals). That way, if you make an error, it will be nothing more than unplugging a connection and putting it on the correct one. So, you will take the seat wiring, slide a jumper wire next to it and then crimp a connector over the two wires. You will then take the other end of the jumper wire and attach a connector to that. Make sure the jumper wire is long enough to go from one switch to the other.

Again, if you need me to explain anything, I will go into as much detail as needed.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo - Thanks for the wiring diagram. Am I supposed to use either the green or brown lines to connect to the lumbar pump. Is the assumption that these lines have power to them based on your diagram once the switch is ON in either direction? Please clarify.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:53 AM
Veteran member

guanshee, the pump should only need to run when filling the bladders. Hence why it is only wired to the "fill" side of the switch. The deflate portion should simply release the air from the bladder to an area under the seat by releasing the pressure.

As for the green and brown lines, think of it more as the brown line being the in and the green being the out. When you were playing with the seat earlier, you needed to touch 2 wires together to complete the circuit. One wire was to the seat (the out) and the other was coming from where the computer used to be (the in).