XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Help! changing Battery 2011 XJL

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! changing Battery 2011 XJL

Hello to all,

Need advise on replacing the Battery on a 2011 XJL
Does the vehicle need to go to the DEALER for replacement.?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Intersate makes a great battery for our XJs.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:28 PM

Thanks, for info on the interstate,

Can you replace the battery yourself? Without going to the dealer ?

Old 01-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I would think so, but I haven't had to do it on my XJ.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:39 PM

Thanks

Old 01-31-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was another discussion like this, in which I participated - about a battery for my XF.
I found it for only $100 at a local store. It is made by Eastpennmanufacturing.com.
Duracell auto batteries are also made by eastpenn.
I think it is the same group 49 battery for both 2013 xj and 2012 xf. Please double check.
If you want to change it yourself, you can buy this
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...noyxoCpH7w_wcB

Sams club has duracell also for low price..
It is better to let someone else change the battery - they would use a memory saver battery so that your settings will not be lost. In case of XF, there might be an issue with the window auto up not working (not sure) but even that issue would reset itself after a few attempts. In today's cars, it is better to retain the memory, by using auxillary battery.

They do sell memory savers - some are simply a plug in to your 12 volt outlet.. if you want to go that route, you can hook up two large 6 volt lantern batteries in series to the 12 volt outlet or better yet, as shown below in the video. This video is a must watch for jaguar owners. Covers both xj and xf

https://vimeo.com/57394588

Last edited by jaguarxjl; 01-31-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

Here's to reviving an older discussion..........

I, too, am considering changing the battery in my '12 XJL. I was told (by the dealer, of course) that they have to go through some sort of "initialization sequence" when changing out the battery, so the car's computer "recognizes" the new battery, similar to the process on a BMW. Therefore, I need to have them do the swap. (and of course, buy the new battery from them)

However, I don't know this for sure, and/or if it's true. Is there any new information out there, about this??

And FWIW, my local Jag dealer uses Interstate batteries. I spoke with the regional Interstate distributor, and they recommend their AGM battery for this vehicle.

Also, I changed the battery in our XF, a couple of years ago, by myself. I didn't use a "9V charge retainer" during the few minutes the battery was disconnected, and I had no issues.......

Old 06-22-2016, 07:44 AM

I would probably change the battery on my 2013 xjl also, this december.
I seem to recall that there are two batteries in the truck of the XJL.
One is the starting battery of course..
I assume the larger one is the starting battery and the smaller one is for power on, during engine stops at traffic lights?
I prefer new batteries, every 3 years.. small price to pay, for wisconsin winter protection..
How long have others kept the batteries?

Old 06-22-2016, 07:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't worry about having to do anything special to swap the battery. It's as simple as old out - new in. I didn't lose any of my settings when I did it either.

If you're worried about screwing it up (which is totally understandable) just take it to any local shop. A small amount of labor to give you peace of mind will be well worth it.

An like XJSSS said, definitely go with the Interstate.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by a6kmita
Don't worry about having to do anything special to swap the battery. It's as simple as old out - new in. I didn't lose any of my settings when I did it either.

If you're worried about screwing it up (which is totally understandable) just take it to any local shop. A small amount of labor to give you peace of mind will be well worth it.

An like XJSSS said, definitely go with the Interstate.

I changed many a battery in my life, so I'm not worried about doing the labor. I did see, however, a short video on the 'net, which was posted by a Jag dealer in South Carolina (USA). In this video, they showed after doing a battery swap, they hooked the car up to the service department's computer system, and did some sort of "voltage reset" to the car.

I was just wondering if it was an essential step in the process.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I changed many a battery in my life, so I'm not worried about doing the labor. I did see, however, a short video on the 'net, which was posted by a Jag dealer in South Carolina (USA). In this video, they showed after doing a battery swap, they hooked the car up to the service department's computer system, and did some sort of "voltage reset" to the car.

I was just wondering if it was an essential step in the process.
Some say yes and some say no to your question.
To be safe, I had a local shop change it and they used a battery saver.. you essentially plug it into the cigarette lighter, while you are swapping the batteries.
IF you want to do this yourself:
1. figure out how to disconnect the bulb in the trunk - it would drain the little "battery saver battery in about a few seconds.
2. use two lantern type 6 volt batteries in series, with the cigarette lighter socket adaptor and battery saver.. so that your trunk light will not drain it.. you might still get only a couple of minutes from these two lantern type batteries..

Old 07-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same 2011 XJL can you just do the battery change yourself?? hopefully you can cuz I'm NOT goin to the dealer

Old 07-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag
I have the same 2011 XJL can you just do the battery change yourself?? hopefully you can cuz I'm NOT goin to the dealer
Yes, you can do it yourself. I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. I got a Champion AGM battery from Pep Boys. Around $150 with core return. I've had no problems at all.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 PM

Could'nt remember what you had, I have the 2011 XJL 5.0 Normally aspirated do you have that one to?.. THAT is music to my ears if I can just put in my own battery and everything will be just fine. 50% of posters out there say it has to be taken to the dealer to be reset and reprogrammed because there is a module right next to the battery that hast to be reset or some things wont work,,, yadda yadda yadda.. Hopefully all this is all Hogwash and I can just put it in myself.. When you replaced the battery did the low start engine light go away and was that on before?... TY much

The following users liked this post:
Nightshadow (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag
Could'nt remember what you had, I have the 2011 XJL 5.0 Normally aspirated do you have that one to?.. THAT is music to my ears if I can just put in my own battery and everything will be just fine. 50% of posters out there say it has to be taken to the dealer to be reset and reprogrammed because there is a module right next to the battery that hast to be reset or some things wont work,,, yadda yadda yadda.. Hopefully all this is all Hogwash and I can just put it in myself.. When you replaced the battery did the low start engine light go away and was that on before?... TY much
As it says in my signature, I have a 2014 5.0 Supercharged. I'm pretty sure the battery is the same across the range but I'd confirm beforehand. The Low Battery warning disappeared the next day after replacement.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Ok thanks, I'm new to this site and saw the model 2014 XJ SC but wasn't exactly sure that was you, sometimes confusing whats what on here ha.. thanks for the advice

Old 06-17-2022, 10:58 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice discussion

Old 08-02-2022, 04:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

changed my battery 2013 xj 3.0d no problem never used a AGM battery and its fine so no need to go to dealers

Old 08-03-2022, 07:15 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguarxjl
There was another discussion like this, in which I participated - about a battery for my XF.
I found it for only $100 at a local store. It is made by Eastpennmanufacturing.com.
Duracell auto batteries are also made by eastpenn.
I think it is the same group 49 battery for both 2013 xj and 2012 xf. Please double check.
If you want to change it yourself, you can buy this
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...noyxoCpH7w_wcB

Sams club has duracell also for low price..
It is better to let someone else change the battery - they would use a memory saver battery so that your settings will not be lost. In case of XF, there might be an issue with the window auto up not working (not sure) but even that issue would reset itself after a few attempts. In today's cars, it is better to retain the memory, by using auxillary battery.

They do sell memory savers - some are simply a plug in to your 12 volt outlet.. if you want to go that route, you can hook up two large 6 volt lantern batteries in series to the 12 volt outlet or better yet, as shown below in the video. This video is a must watch for jaguar owners. Covers both xj and xf

https://vimeo.com/57394588
Great thanks but this video will not come up

Old 08-08-2022, 06:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Went to my dealer for my annual maintenance and the battery was not in good shape. I had them change the battery and I was pleased with the work done. I’m not an auto mechanic and fooling around with this type of car is just something I’m not interested in doing.
To those who change their own battery great job. I’m just an old dude and let the dealership do the work. I just sit and relax.

Quick Reply: Help! changing Battery 2011 XJL