XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Help needed opening boot

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
My initial thoughts where ...

Thankfully the emergency pull handle is glow in the dark so once you have hand access you can shine a torch in there and then use a stick mirror to direct a cable rod or coat hanger to hook onto it.
Hey, I like your elephant trunk looking mufflers - were these specific to some years?
Maybe someone else here would know

Old 02-01-2018, 08:42 AM
Post Video - How to open the boot the easy way

To all people here: there is an easier way:
There is a wire inside the car - once you apply power to it it will open it in an instant.
I believe it would be the same on an XF model.(this is if the front fusebox solution and everything else did not work)
One prerequisite of this would be removing the back seat.
The wire is easy to identify and it has only one pin, check out the video:

Last edited by florenm; 02-01-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

You can do it much easier than all that!

If the car is dead. Open the car with the manual key. You do know there is a key hidden in the FOB? There is no key for the trunk as you found out.

Once inside the car pop the hood. Under the cover on the passenger side is a large red terminal to hook your battery charger to. Connect the charger and now go and push the trunk button on the dash board or push the trunk opening button.

I have circled the fuse box in red in the picture below.

Note; DO NOT try to start the car from these engine compartment mounted terminals!!!

Start the car by jumping the big battery in the trunk.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (11-25-2019)
Old 02-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

For a simple flat battery you can use the dedicated terminals in the engine bay fuse box as mentioned (instructions on which are in the owners manual). No need to have the seats out for that. The OP had a different issue though - the battery was not connected and their positive battery terminal was shorted to the bodywork/ground. They had tried the external power source approach and got no response.

There is also the scenario where the JNC ECU may lock up/crash and need the battery disconnected in order to reboot it (or it could plain fail and need replacing). I've not heard of that happening, but on paper that could prevent the trunk release from working so always useful to have other non-destructive ways in.

There is a lot to be said for retaining key access to the trunk if the battery is located there. You always need a backup for when the electrical systems fail.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by clubairth1
You can do it much easier than all that!
If the car is dead. Open the car with the manual key. You do know there is a key hidden in the FOB? There is no key for the trunk as you found out.
Once inside the car pop the hood. Under the cover on the passenger side is a large red terminal to hook your battery charger to. Connect the charger and now go and push the trunk button on the dash board or push the trunk opening button.
I have circled the fuse box in red in the picture below.
Note; DO NOT try to start the car from these engine compartment mounted terminals!!!
Start the car by jumping the big battery in the trunk.
I know about the front fuse box, and I am sorry but this did not work for me - as I said in the previous post, if you have absolutely no power.
In my case all the displays were off(turns out the big junction fuse was destroyed)
BTW nice engine cover!

Old 11-24-2019, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for 2010-2016 Jaguar Portfolio getting in trunk after much research.

Jaguar Portfolio has no key hole or way into trunk except through back seat. I took out seat bottom and top...looked for two white plastic wire holders which is on both sides of seat area, pried them out and cut the carpet like wall into trunk, took a long table lamp stuck through one hole, and looked through other with a ling piece of rebar with a coat hanger hook. Caught the whit/ glow in dark pull emergency handle on trunk lid above lock and pulled open easly releasing the trunk. I hope this helps someone as I plowed over schematics for weeks. I will now keep a wire hooked and fed to back seat area, out of the way to trunk latch just in case....good luck.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Thanks for that but if you look at the stickies at the top of the forum we have a procedure for opening the trunk?
If you remove the lower part of the rear seat there is a connector that with 12 VDC will open the trunk.

Xdave did the write up after we discovered there is no way into the trunk otherwise without.
Take a look it's a LOT simpler too!