XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Help/opinions - On The Fence About An XJL Purchase.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help/opinions - On The Fence About An XJL Purchase.....

Hi All, new to the forum as a member. I'm torn about which XJL model I should buy. I am close to purchasing a 2013 XJL V8 supercharged. It's got in the range of about 40k miles and it is certified, I'm on the fence because I'm right near being able to afford one for about $4 or $5 grand more with around a 25 to 30k miles on it, also certified. Only difference is the more expensive one has the illumination package which I desire and about 20m miles less on it. I can live w/o the illumination package but concerned that I should wait to get the less mileage one (23,456). Does this even matter because both vehicles are certified or would one always want to take the lesser miles with these engines ? Thank for anyone's input/ time.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I would say much depends on how many miles you're going to put on the car. At some point you'll want to part-ex it or sell it.

Now if you start with the 40k car and do 12k miles a year, in five years you'll be on 100k miles.Now OK, these cars will take many more miles than that, but it is a sad fact of life that when potential buyers see 100k+ miles on a car, they stand back and think - "is the price right", or, "whow, that's a lot, can I take the risk". Whereas a car even up to 90k doesn't get the same questioning attitude. On the other hand if it's going to be a weekend type car and you'll be doing 5-7k miles a year, then think about the 40k car, as it'll still have value many years into the future.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I would pay the extra and get the low miles with the illumination package. You can add the door plates and trunk plate but not the vents according to the below thread.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-vents-69394/

Old 08-28-2017, 04:39 PM

I drive a Company vehicle during the week and I'm only home on the weekend so I will will be putting very few amount of miles on it over the next 3 to 5 years. Also I am looking to keep this vehicle I am not looking to sell it unless of course I might look to traded in but don't expect to get a value or anything as I'm purchasing this with the intent of getting everything out of it that I can. It is just very tempting because depreciation values are a Jag buyers best friend and I know if I just hold out for even 3 to 5 weeks or do some heavy negotiating I can potential he get the 2014 XJL V8 supercharged that has around 25,000 miles on it for a good deal as well

Old 08-28-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

The Illumination package was a $1700 option and many owners have added just the tread plates for the doors and trunk can cost almost that much for adding later. The vents are nearly impossible to add require wiring that is not part of the harness. So if it was me and the cost difference was less than 2k I'd go for the XJ with the package.

Last edited by XJsss; 08-28-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I would go for the car with less mileage, especially seeing as how you are not going to be paying more for the car than the one with more mileage.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:07 PM

The 2013 with 40k miles is for $38,000- v8 supercharged , no illumination package. The 2014, has, forgive me, 31k miles, and illumination package- the only discerning difference besides the miles. It's going for $49,000- which is overpriced imho, hence with some negotiation and plus $4-5k I would possibly choose it .... thanx for everyone's opinions; I am an educated consumer but also an OCD consumer ... can be a potent mix
link to both cars :

http://www.used.jaguarusa.com/certified/jaguar/xj/2013-black-supercharged-5433642.html

http://www.hennessyjaguaratlanta.com/certified/Jaguar/2014-Jaguar-XJ-f9ede6a60a0e0a6b4069010064e0c5d5.htm

Old 08-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbeny
I'm on the fence because I'm right near being able to afford one for about $4 or $5 grand more with around a 25 to 30k miles on it, also certified.
Certified makes sense only if you also get JLR extended factory warranty. Also keep in mind, that Jags were never cheap to fix and you have to budget for that.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

The 2014 has soft-close doors. The 2013 does not. Make sure that you compare options. Adaptive Cruise Control is hard to find. I'd go with the 2014 because your CPO warranty will last longer.

You don't need a third-party, aftermarket extended service contract, which is what the so-called "JLR extended factory warranty" really is. Put that insurance premium in the bank to fund future non- warranty repairs. You'll probably come out ahead.

Let us know which one you decide to buy.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:02 PM

Thanks a lot everyone. I didn't know the '13's didn't have soft close doors- learn something new everyday. Yes I have no interest in any extended warranty from anyone, certified from the manufacturer is the only jaguar I'll buy, and it will be under warranty the whole time I'm paying it off which is my most important factor. Again , thanx for the feedback.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Certified makes sense only if you also get JLR extended factory warranty. ...
Why doesn't CPO make sense by itself? And what's wrong with my recommendation to save the extended service contract premiums to self-find future out-of-warranty repairs? I don't understand why you should also buy an extended service contract from the dealer, particularly if you don't intend to keep the car after the CPO warranty expires. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

The 2014 is being sold by Hennessy In Atlanta. I have purchased more than one Jag from them and always got my best deals with Robert Lloyd. They are first class operation and Robert will make you a great deal. So the XJ must come as a CPO and according to what I read in their link it is a Portfolio and also has the Meridian 825watt Surround sound, the wood/leather steering wheel and, I think nicer wood veneer. Also appears to have the message function (but cannot guarantee that. As I said I know the Hennessy dealers and use their Northpoint Dealership. Call Robert he'll deal and you can tell him Robert Hirsch told you to talk to him.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Why doesn't CPO make sense by itself?
CPO comes with a substantial markup without actually providing any value. Basically, dealer can't sell a car that leaks oil, has bald tires, or failing brakes as a CPO. Great, that why you look at the car (or pay someone to do it) prior to buying it.

The only value in CPO cars is an ability to purchase extended warranty from the manufacturer. JLR is strange in this, they don't offer it everywhere (e.g. not available in Canada).

100% agree, third-party warranty (actually insurance) is not worth while. Self-insure it.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by XJsss
The 2014 is being sold by Hennessy In Atlanta. I have purchased more than one Jag from them and always got my best deals with Robert Lloyd. They are first class operation and Robert will make you a great deal. So the XJ must come as a CPO and according to what I read in their link it is a Portfolio and also has the Meridian 825watt Surround sound, the wood/leather steering wheel and, I think nicer wood veneer. Also appears to have the message function (but cannot guarantee that. As I said I know the Hennessy dealers and use their Northpoint Dealership. Call Robert he'll deal and you can tell him Robert Hirsch told you to talk to him.

Great info and thank you for the insight. I've been looking all over the country and done some negotiating with some of the JLR dealers and I have nothing bad to say about any of them. I wil say that some are much better to deal with than others; as with anyone in life. Will definitely give them a shoot and tell them you sent me their way.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd go for the 14 and try to get around $5k - $10k off what they are asking.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Just to qualify what a CPO car is. It is a car that has to be thoroughly inspected at over a 150 points and anything that is below 60% wear (like brakes and rotors, tires etc) the dealer has to repair with OEM parts and then sign off on the inspection and present that to Jaguar to get the CPO authorization. Also, CPO increases the warranty on all parts to 100k and 7 year coverage total from original in service date. Just ask some of the owners here on the forum and they will tell you it is very nearly complete coverage. Dealers normally spend a good 2k+ to get a CPO authorization. So it's a good deal.

The following 2 users liked this post by XJsss:
Johntechwriter (09-22-2017), Stuart S (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed. I bought my XJ because it was CPO. Well worth the additional cost.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
... The only value in CPO cars is an ability to purchase extended warranty from the manufacturer. JLR is strange in this, they don't offer it everywhere (e.g. not available in Canada). ...
You are misinformed. That so-called "JLR extended warranty" is not backed by the manufacturer even though it is sold on the Jaguar dealer's letterhead. It's really an extended service contract that is administered by a third party, just like an insurance policy. The only true Jaguar warranties are the original factory warranty and the CPO warranty, both of which are backed by Jaguar. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stions-187871/, particularly posts ##13, 14 and15.

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-30-2017 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Added specific post numbers of linked thread.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Just got a 2014 XJR. You are getting a better price but I am VERY picky and wanted a certain color and interior. What I wanted was very HARD to find! Plus mine has the illumination package and the carbon fiber package and the gray wheels.

Be sure and check the in service date. This is the date your new car warranty started and everything is calculated from that date. On my 2014 the 4 year base warranty ended on August 2017.

Most cars are sold in the year before the model year so I doubt you have any of the original warranty left. Also be aware CPO only means it's qualified for the warranty. That is far different from having the CPO warranty. For my car the CPO warranty is worth about $3900. We will see if it pays out or not? I am hoping it will not.

I have a 6 year/100K miles Jaguar CPO warranty. There are different CPO warranties as you can see, 7 year and 6 year have already been quoted. My car is so low mileage (20K) that time is the only thing I watch so I am 100% covered until August 2019.

They are very rare cars so not a lot of selection and I had to travel to find the one I wanted. But you are right they don't sell very well and it's a buyers market.

If you want it get it!

Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

You are not "100% covered" under a CPO warranty, as normal wear and tear items such as brakes, tires and batteries are excluded. CPO is not identical to the original Jaguar factory warranty.

Congrats on your 2014 XJR! Italian Racing Red is hot and, unfortunately, a ticket magnet. Good thing magnets don't stick to aluminum. Very sporty interior! Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-30-2017 at 06:12 PM.