XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

hi all!potential new owner here.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi all!potential new owner here.

i love the lwb xjl's and currently looking for one.i've been doing alot of research on these and browsing this fine forum.so my summed up list of what to look for is as follows.if i am incorrect about anything please let me know and thanks in advance for any help.
-look for one 2013 and newer because of the rusty sunroof issues
-around 100k be looking to change the water pump,plastic cooling hoses,and timing chain guides
-oil change intervals at 3k
-also i'd love to disable the auto start/stop feature;i've seen here on the forums how it's done on the type f but unsure if it's the same procedure for the xj's.
thanks again for any input.

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Two important items:
  1. Look for an X351 that has a service history
  2. Make sure the engine has not been overheated by checking for exhaust gasses in the coolant.

Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM

thanks for the fast reply.i will look for those things as well.

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by loudrango
i love the lwb xjl's and currently looking for one.i've been doing alot of research on these and browsing this fine forum.so my summed up list of what to look for is as follows.if i am incorrect about anything please let me know and thanks in advance for any help.
-look for one 2013 and newer because of the rusty sunroof issues
-around 100k be looking to change the water pump,plastic cooling hoses,and timing chain guides
-oil change intervals at 3k
-also i'd love to disable the auto start/stop feature;i've seen here on the forums how it's done on the type f but unsure if it's the same procedure for the xj's.
thanks again for any input.
Buy tool kits and be prepared to become a part time mechanic unless you have lots of money to take it to the dealership often or a trusted mechanic

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

i have a big rolling snap on tool box and have been wrenching on cars for 30+ years but your input is duly noted.i've read all about the "reliability" issues with these cars.i think in alot of instances they are unjust and if routine maintenance is performed you're ahead of the game.thank you everyone so far.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts

Don't be afraid of (most) oil leaks on these. The common oil leak sources are the valve cover gaskets & vacuum pump seals, vacuum pump being located below & to the passenger side (US) of the harmonic balancer.
With the mechanical experience you describe, you should be able to take care of those easily.
Then on the front shock towers, the top shock mounts have a foam polymer filling that would be worn out on the older of the X351s. That results in the top stud of the shock dancing around in the mount as the suspension bounces - and that creates a chirping sound that sounds like it comes from inside the cabin under the dash.
And you may find the AC slow to begin cooling upon starting up from an overnight rest. That's due to the DPS valve in the variable displacement compressor sticking. You can find some discussions about it in some recent (and many older) posts. Surest fix is just to replace the whole compressor, although you may want to try replacing just the DPS valve within the old compressor instead.

Last edited by 12jagmark; Yesterday at 06:39 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think anyone on here has entertained 3K oil change intervals

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteZags
I don't think anyone on here has entertained 3K oil change intervals
I change mine every 3k. FCP Euro simply makes it impossible not to

Old Today, 12:18 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

3K is like brushing your teeth after every meal, not ridiculous but still excessive

Old Today, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,269 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteZags
3K is like brushing your teeth after every meal, not ridiculous but still excessive
When it comes to excessive oil changes, my 2011 XJL just grins and says "hold my beer..."

From the records I have it appears that it has had 16 oil changes with just under 37K on it now.

Old Today, 02:31 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

You'll need a dedicated OBD scanner, unless you have a shop-grade, expensive one. I have an Autel HT200, which comes with a lifetime subscription for one vehicle model. Because this is a legacy model, it won't work with Android 10 or higher. The app is free; some guys have a dedicated ancient phone or tablet exclusively for this application. Despite selling for <$100, it can do most things the backyard X351 mechanic needs. Things like resetting the service reminder, electronic parking brake etc. The alternative is purchasing Jaguar software, also on a dedicated laptop, which will do everything. It all depends on your comfort level.

A big decision is V-6 vs. V-8. The two engines have nearly the same horsepower, but you should not fall in love with one engine during a test drive and blindly purchase a car with the other. I don't know the actual production numbers, but a causal scan of the marketplace seems to have the V-6 models 4:1 over the V-8s. You'll also see the vast majority of X351s in white, black or silver. Establish your priorities and preferences, don't buy without due diligence, but be prepared to act, as desirable versions sell quickly.

Lastly, I have worn out the keys on my computer typing "make sure you get a pre-purchase inspection by somebody who knows these cars". You will need to know a good independent Jaguar shop anyway, so think of the PPI as a qualifier.