XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

How to enter Launch mode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to enter Launch mode?

anyone knows how to get the SC into launch mode? I've read somewhere that if u put it to S drive, Dynamic mode on, and take traction off, that's the trick. But I don't notice it popping down to 1st gear and seems to always start on 2nd gear. Going full manual is fine but I have to pop to 2nd real quick so I don't think I never really get the full use of 1st gear. I'm just curious 'cause I see people mention articles in motor trend that the 470HP SC can do mid to low 4 seconds on 0-60 and I'm curious on how that's done 'cause I don't think I'm seeing it in my ride.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no "Launch Mode" on these cars. I did the Jaguar Alive driving experience in an XKR-S, and it didn't even have one. That said, putting the car in Dynamic and Sport resulted in very little wheel spin off the line. I just mashed my foot to the floor. Leave it in automatic, it'll shift better than you might think! (DSC was on, by the way)

Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by depeche
There is no "Launch Mode" on these cars. I did the Jaguar Alive driving experience in an XKR-S, and it didn't even have one. That said, putting the car in Dynamic and Sport resulted in very little wheel spin off the line. I just mashed my foot to the floor. Leave it in automatic, it'll shift better than you might think! (DSC was on, by the way)
The only thing I would add is to put your foot on the brake and get the RPM's up to about 1,500 before releasing the brake and stomping the accelerator simultaneously. There will definitely be too much wheelspin if the DSC is turned off.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this article and it states something about a "launch control" that launches at 4000 rpms...I'm going to go out and try it real quick. Will let you know if it works.
http://www.jaguarumhlanga.co.za/News...x?Article=9408

Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 PM

Tried all variations...there is no launch control. Tires start to break loose around 2200 rpms. Oh well, was excited to read and try it out!

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (03-18-2015)
Old 06-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
The only thing I would add is to put your foot on the brake and get the RPM's up to about 1,500 before releasing the brake and stomping the accelerator simultaneously. There will definitely be too much wheelspin if the DSC is turned off.
On my 3.0 diesel engine XJ , if you put your foot on the brake pedal and try to accelerate at the same time the car cuts the power to the engine, I used to left foot brake in my previous cars sometimes but this caught me out a few times.
Also if I have had to drive through water of a certain depth then I used to keep the revs up with the accelerator and hold the car back from going too fast with my left foot on the brake, obviously wont be able to do that on this car.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by roviw
On my 3.0 diesel engine XJ , if you put your foot on the brake pedal and try to accelerate at the same time the car cuts the power to the engine, I used to left foot brake in my previous cars sometimes but this caught me out a few times.
Also if I have had to drive through water of a certain depth then I used to keep the revs up with the accelerator and hold the car back from going too fast with my left foot on the brake, obviously wont be able to do that on this car.
Interesting. I read this in a 2011 XJ SC road test in one of my car magazines concerning the best way to launch the car but have not tried it.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Deep water

New member so very late reply but if you have to go through deep water use the paddles to keep it in first, that should keep the revs high enough to keep water out of the exhaust. Remember to dry the brakes after

Old 03-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by qman3428
New member so very late reply but if you have to go through deep water use the paddles to keep it in first, that should keep the revs high enough to keep water out of the exhaust. Remember to dry the brakes after
Are we driving our XJ's through deep water? I get Range Rovers in the city, but XJ's in the country? I havn't made enough money in my life!

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 03-18-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Its the weather

As we live in England I am afriad there are occassions when our highways are rivers and if you want to get home its a canoe or drive through the water. As I dont want a roof rack with a canoe on it it becomes a skill we aquire.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,354 Likes on 3,482 Posts

Originally Posted by qman3428
As we live in England I am afriad there are occassions when our highways are rivers and if you want to get home its a canoe or drive through the water. As I dont want a roof rack with a canoe on it it becomes a skill we aquire.
qman3428,

How did you Brits get such dry humor when it's always so wet over there? Even your cars come from the factory with umbrellas!

Stuart

Old 06-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Default Rain

Yet the wettest place on earth is part of the USA?
Go figure.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

I used to live near that wettest place on earth. Granted, I have driven through my fair share of deep water. Most of it though was in my Expedition. But then, getting through 4 feet of water (was up to the door handles each time) starts to make you pucker. The one time I went through deep not in the Expedition, I was in Hawaii on the side of big hill for Tripler Army Hospital. Then I had water over the hood of a Mitsu Gallant. Oops. The best time was right after a major storm. Traffic backed up, everyone was going way left to avoid a puddle. I looked out the windshield of the Expedition and saw a curb sticking about 2" out of the water. I went right and quickly had water coming up over the headlights. The "curb" was actually the top of a jersey barrier. The water was actually about 3 feet deep. The guy in the Mustang next to me as I passed him wasn't happy. C'est la vie.