XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

How often are you in the shop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often are you in the shop?

How often is your XJ in the shop for maintenance/repairs?

I'm looking at a 2012 XJ with 90k miles and I don't want to pump too much into maintenance annually

Old 11-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That is quite an open ended question

I find generally, service intervals aren't more or less than my other vehicles. Hourly labor rates are par with other makes.

Again, generalizations...parts seem higher and labor time seems to be more.

You can check out the service intervals. I just had the 100K service done at an indy shop and included several extras, including some extra inspection items from this forum.

100K $695
Extras $500

A lot will depend on the car of the car prior to your ownership and if any common items have already been addressed (cough, water pump, cough)

Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,920 Likes on 3,220 Posts

Mtol117, since i do all of my own maintenance, my cars hardly ever see a shop. As for times when I am out there working on my car, for the 18 months that I have owned the car, I have been forced to open the hood 4 times. 3 of those were for oil changes and the 4th was because I modified the intake and the car did not like the change (actually got the intake to breathe too well and the air flow change happened too fast for the computer to see as an acceptable change, resulting in a throttle to air flow mismatch error).

Has the hood been open for other reasons, sure. But those were for either investigation for power addition or helping members here and looking over parts of the car to help guide them to where they need to go.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtol117
How often is your XJ in the shop for maintenance/repairs?

I'm looking at a 2012 XJ with 90k miles and I don't want to pump too much into maintenance annually
Are you a typical Jaguar novice with a 'perception of unreliability'? Guess so.

At 90k mi, I would pump $1-1.5k annually into the maintenance rainy day fund. But keep in mind the cost of British car depreciation will be a lot greater.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up my 2011 XJ Portfolio last night after a RH wheel bearing replacement and I was informed the CPO warranty ran out last month. I traded it in on the spot! 6 years old / 82k miles. Bought it CPO 2.5 years ago w/30k miles. Just off the top of my head, in that time:
- Water pump x2
- Wiring LH rocker area
- Wiring rear bumper
- Wiring headliner
- Fuel tank leak
- Steering wheel wiring
- Control head crash
- Front suspension eating tires
- RH front wheel bearing
+ more I can't remember...

What did I trade it in on? .....another CPO XJ, 2013 - 30k miles, $37k. Why!? Can't buy more car for the money and the CPO warranty covered everything. Plus they treat you like gold at the dealership.

Love the XJ but wouldn't drive it a mile without a factory/CPO warranty!

Old 11-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2011 XJ with only 53,000 miles never leaves the shop or ever visits the road. Electrical issues are so bad Jim Coleman Jaguar has recommended that I scrap the car.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Seems yours is the only one. Posting it over and over isn't really any help at all, though.

The following users liked this post:
Angus (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine also lives at jaguar, it seems to be problem after problem and I’ve only had my XJ for just over 1 year now. The last thing to go were the wishbones which cost £411.00 per side and both sides had gone. Lucky I had the extended warranty which did cover it, however it’s a long story as they didn’t want to go through warranty I had to fight my case.
i even think I should build a home next door so I don’t have far to travel in future.
Im afraid it’s a love/ hate relationship.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:22 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought mine at auction with a blown motor at just 60k miles so the previous owner definitely took a huge loss for sure, traded it in at a dealer with a blown motor. Yikes!! It was all Due to timing issue. Since getting it all sorted out, and having a 2016 motor installed I've been driving it about 2 months with no issues at all until yesterday the driver window went and only goes up 1/2 way. Lol yay! Haven't had a chance to deal with it, but I've done a lot of window motors so I'm hoping it's not too bad.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Proper English, its a garage. A shop is where you by pants. And pants are what you wear under your trousers.

;D

I never take mine to a garage, I don't trust many of them. So I DIY it all

Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

A used car can easily need wear/service/maintenance items (suspension, brakes, hoses, tyres, battery, plugs, oil, filters, ...) so being in the shop for such as those does not really count.

Buying a used car where hardly any need changing - you either got lucky or checked it out properly. Lots need changing - check better next time!!

Old 11-24-2017, 12:07 PM

In my UK v US English rant, I forgot to add...

The jobs I've done on my 7yr old XJ since I got it in April and 10,000m has been:
2 x door latches
1 x oil/filter change
1 x air filter change
2 x front tyres
1 x pair of wiper blades
2 x suspension bushes

Old 11-24-2017, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,925 Posts

I think you found the key to owning a Jaguar?
That's DIY. Please help and post to the forum with your repairs!

Old 11-24-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I think you found the key to owning a Jaguar?
That's DIY. Please help and post to the forum with your repairs!
I think that's the key to any marque.

I write guides and post on the "other" more UK oriented forum, so feel free to look there as well

Old 11-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

At 90k miles you might want to replace ALL the plastic coolant pipes/tubes. I think it is money well spent. This is not a small job, I think there are some post on the XF forum. Same motor and layout. The rear crossover is a major pain.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Patson Lim; 11-30-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,384 Likes on 3,498 Posts

Sorry about your plight. Anything is possible with enough money and time (e.g., Saturn V to the moon and back), but does your engine swap proposal make economic sense?

No, because the diesel and petrol engines have too many different electronic systems and the computers and labor for the swap and programming are prohibitively expensive. If your diesel engine has internal damage and can't be repaired at a reasonable cost, the question is: are you better off by (1) selling it "as-is" or (2) spending the money to install a used diesel engine (from a wrecking yard) and then selling or trading that XJ for one with a 5.0L engine? That depends on what it will cost to repair and what it's worth in India. You'll have to gather all that information and push the pencil to see which alternative makes the most sense.

You might be better off to avoid the aggravation and simply sell or trade it as-is, and avoid throwing good money after bad. Repairs can be a money pit.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1 year of no problem then 5 visits in 5 months... :(

had the car for 17months, and been in the shop 5 times.... car was running smooth w no problem for 12 months, then in July it went in to the shop for coolant hose leak. then 2 months later went in again for e-diff not working.

Had to pay 250 for installing the software... dealer said its not under warranty. this part still baffles my mind.... (how the heck does a software just go bad n when it does I need to pay for it?... ugh)

Then few weeks later, went in for coolant leak that was caused by the waterpump failure (under warranty) then I went back in cause it was still leaking and found out one of the hose was not clamped properly (free of charge).

Currently my car is in the shop since yesterday (5th visit, 4th visit related to coolant problem). After the last visit the car was running fine then yesterday after doing some spirited runs i noticed a smoke coming out of the hood. Dropped it off this morning and I just got a call from the dealer saying the pipe (y-pipe?) under the supercharger was leaking and it would cost 700.

If I get another coolant problem with this car I'm thinking of selling it. (I prob wont... such a fun car to drive)
Its just crazy how it went from 'wow, no problem w this car' to 'omg.. stop it... ffffuuuuuuuu'

I get that its money saving/make money for the companies but they seriously need to stop using so much god damn plastics for coolant hoses.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

It would seem that the dealers out there on the left coast are not covering parts that should be covered. As the "Y" pipe is a common failure within or when the water pump fails and they are right there to change that too when doing a water pump replacement at no extre labor. My dealer also addressed the piping at the rear end of the engine when I've had water pump or "Y" pipe failures. A good dealer will say this is what has failed and we can replace and these are some hosing or piping that we recommend replacing while we are here. I've had 2 of the "Y" pipes replaced and they were always covered as it is not a hose.

IMHO a good dealer's service department is into maintaining our car and not just repaiting it.

Last edited by XJsss; 12-08-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:29 AM

Reassuring to know that the Yankie dealers are every bit as useless and incompetent as UK dealers.