XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

HUGE plume of white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 06:54 AM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally I would concentrait more on the short term at the moment and worry about the long term later.

First off, I think it would be helpful to discuss what is happening with your Car at jaguar right now.

If we break it down into chunks, it would make things easier.

So, I imagine Jaguar are thinking along these lines... The car must of had a failure somewhere around the head gasket. Therefore if the head is damaged and the block can be reskimmed then they must be thinking that the current engine can be repaired (by the way if it is repaired this way then it will probably be done to an even better standard than factory).
However, if the Block is beyond repair then the only option is to replace the engine.

My first question would be... why does it take a month to find out if a block is damaged beyond repair?

What is at the core of the matter here is what is deemed resonable. To my mind, taking a month to determine a fault on a car is not reasonable.

Also I would point out that while they are taking their time reparing your car it would seem reasonable to give you a loan car (of equal standing) for the duration of the repair period.

Then I would point out that given the fact that you have only had the car 3 weeks and that its going to cost them a great deal to repair (greatly so if it takes a long time and they should be paying for a loan car) + you will be expecting some kind of compensation + free long term warranty when you get the car back.... then surely it would be easier for them to just refund you your money????

I also would ask this of your dealership AND directly of Jaguar themselves... and do it all in writting. You need to start keeping an auditable trail.

If you apply a little presure and keep on the line of "reasonable expectations" then hopefully they will issue a refund.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Quartzboy (04-14-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by flibberflops
Personally I would concentrait more on the short term at the moment and worry about the long term later...If we break it down into chunks, it would make things easier... and do it all in writing

Good luck
Absolutely document everything in writing. Start with confirmation of the status - go all the way back to day one, include a reference to the first resolution (promised new engine), point out that they have back pedaled into a new approach that costs you use of the car for a longer period of time, include the specific dates and names of people you have spoken to. Going forward you should send letters confirming the contents of every conversation, especially any promises made to you. You do not want to leave room for them to escape any promise they have made.

I am sure this will all work out for you but if it doesn't you will need evidence of what happened. Your letters will be invaluable aids to telling your story in court.

I would also keep contemporaneous notes in a day planner or diary. Those notes can be used to refresh your recollection of events if you are ever required to testify in court.

Good luck

Brad

Quartzboy (04-14-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

If their is the slightest indication that Jaguar is backsliding on their initial offer to replace your engine with anything other than a new engine at no expense to you, including an equivalent car to drive while they repair yours, I would immediately "lawyer up", and yell bloody murder to the whole world that they don't stand behind their product. I don't think they would want this kind of damaging publicity.

Quartzboy (04-14-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
I don't think they would want this kind of damaging publicity.
The best way to force a settlement is to show them you have a case. So far the car owner is without fault. Saying damaging things about a business will only weaken his position by giving Jaguar a potential counterclaim. While it would be nice to think they care about bad press, airing this out publically is likely to cause them to become more aggressive in any court case. I would quietly document everything and let them know you are doing so.

Quartzboy (04-14-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
The best way to force a settlement is to show them you have a case. So far the car owner is without fault. Saying damaging things about a business will only weaken his position by giving Jaguar a potential counterclaim. While it would be nice to think they care about bad press, airing this out publically is likely to cause them to become more aggressive in any court case. I would quietly document everything and let them know you are doing so.
I would take this gentleman's advise over mine, simply because I'm a simple minded engineer, and I suspect he knows much more about such things. So, ignore my premature advise and listen to "Nookieman". Anyhow, anyone with a handle like "Nookieman" is my kind of guy.

Quartzboy (04-14-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
I would take this gentleman's advise over mine, simply because I'm a simple minded engineer, and I suspect he knows much more about such things. So, ignore my premature advise and listen to "Nookieman". Anyhow, anyone with a handle like "Nookieman" is my kind of guy.
Thanks for the affirmation. I am in year 25 of my practice. Sometime I might share the story behind the nic.

Quartzboy (04-14-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 10:55 PM

Obviously, new is better than rebuilt. Your engine new has a list price of $22,600.00. A "short block" version is $9,200.00. These prices are before installation labor, and costs of the loaner car.

Quartzboy (04-14-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Everyone!

SOrry for the long lapse in reply.

In short we got the XJL back about a month ago.

To bottom line it they replaced the engine and cooling system with a brand new engine and new cooling system.

While all this was taking place we got a nice Range ROver loaner which was great.

The car is running like a dream and havent had any problems yet. Then again it only has been a month!

But the end of this saga is that we got a new engine. The dealer has offered us an extended warranty at "cost" price good till 100K miles which I will be definitely taking them up on.

What was at first a scary experience has turned into one that has a happy ending and the dealership in San Diego did not flee from responsibility or shoe me out the door.

It wasn't a fast process but I'm happy with the end result and we can now once again enjoy our lovely XJL.

Thanks everyone SO much for all the responses. It has been extremely helpful during this trying period.

Christian

Old 07-16-2015, 08:11 PM

Christian,

So happy for you that everything worked out, and that your dealer and Jaguar stood behind their product.

Enjoy your "virtually new" ride, and the security of a 100K warranty.

John

Old 07-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Glad to see that things worked out so well.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Glad to hear the happy ending. Did they tell you what had happened to the engine ?

Old 07-20-2015, 10:32 PM

Congratulations! So happy you got well. Now start building some happy memories with the car. Pretty soon you will have forgotten any of this ever happened.