XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

I want an X351!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts
Default I want an X351!!

I was looking on Cars.com and was very surprised to see that many 2011 X351 models were already breaking into the $35k range.

I have to admit, I thought the X351 was really ugly when it first came out, but having seen it in the flesh, it looks very striking and modern. I also got to drive one at Jaguar Alive and it was very nice--drives much better than my old X350 did! I would love to replace my wife's Hyundai Sonata with one in a couple years.

A couple questions--other than the roof popping, are there any other common trouble spots with these cars? I imagine battery drain is an issue just like on the XK.

Also, any idea where I can find trim information on the 2011 models? As I recall, 2011s were all 5.0L V8s, right?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey mate, wow, I did not know that the 2011s have fallen into the $ 35K range already...sheesh.

As for your questions, I have had mine for nearly 2 years now and except for a few minor issues, I haven't had anything significant. I had a fuel sensor problem which was showing the tank empty even where there was plenty of gas, then had a vibration on one of the speakers which turned out to be a loosely tightened panel. All of this was covered by the 5 year warranty which Jaguar offered on all 2011 XJ/XJL models.
My dealership always gave me a loaner car free of cost whenever the car was being serviced, even during the standard once-a-year scheduled oil change maintenance service.

As for the trim, you mainly had the base, Supercharged, and Super Sport models offered in the US, in short and long wheel base sizes. All the engines were V8s, with of course the Supercharged and Super Sport engines being super charged.

I have the standard long wheel base model and love the 385 HP engine...more than enough for my needs. I think the Supercharged engine offered mid 400s in HP, while the Super Sport went close to 500HP, if not slightly over.

Hope this helps your buying decision. Cheers and best of luck!

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidIce

I have the standard long wheel base model and love the 385 HP engine...more than enough for my needs. I think the Supercharged engine offered mid 400s in HP, while the Super Sport went close to 500HP, if not slightly over.
Actually, 470 HP for the supercharged version and 510 HP for the Supersport. I think the 470HP version was/is only sold in North America.

amcdonal86 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, guys! As far as major options packages, what was offered?

Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

There were some, but the major one was the 2300W Bowers and Wilkins Sound system, which I personally have and love. The XJLs came standard with the business trays, heated and cooled front AND rear seats, front massage seats, etc. which I think were option on the standard wheelbase model. Then there was an option for the entertainment system, which was standard on the Supersport model.
There may be some other options, but the above ones were the major items which I can remember.

amcdonal86 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I would be weary of $35k XJ's at this point, that still seems to be XF territory (I have not seen any in that price range). Anyway, best of luck!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

I think I'm going to wait until they're in the $25-30k range. I remember in late 2010 I bought a 2006 X350 with 38k miles for about $27k. So theoretically, all things being equal I may be able to get that sort of price on a 2011 in a couple years.

According to the price trend tools on cargurus.com, the average listing price for a 2011 XJ right now is about $50k. Most 2011 XJs probably don't have a ton of miles on them, and also this $50k price also includes highly optioned models, like the supercharged and Supersport models. The ones going for $35-40k are higher mileage (40k miles+) base model examples.

Then again, it looks like even the cheapest 2011 XJs are just breaking the $40k mark so I may have exaggerated how cheap they are becoming.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Advice: before you exchange the Sonata for a '11 XJ, be sure to test drive both over the same stretch of freeway for a good many miles. What really ticked me off about my XJL was when I first took it to the dealer with the bad ride complaint, they handed me a Sonata loaner car. It rode so much smoother than my XJL at 70+ MPH freeway speeds. The dealer people thought that I was joking when I told them that.

Despite the terrible ride I still love my XJL and I got Jaguar of NA involved now trying to find a fix. Very much hope that we will because there is not an other sedan that I want more than the XJL. But, the ride must be fixed.

Albert

Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I rented a brand new Sonata when my '03 XJ8 was in the shop -- what a piece of crap! I couldn't wait to get my car back. If the X351 have a worse ride than a Sonata, I'd be very surprised. The Sonata reminded me of a Honda but not as comfortable, if you can imagine that! The Sonata is a cheap car with a cheap ride, comparing it to an X351 is surprising to me. That's just my take on that issue.

As for finding an XJ for $35,000 -- I've seen a few close to that price advertised around here. Most of the time they have been in accidents per CarFax and always have close to 50,000 miles on them. It all depends on what a person wants. In my opinion, for what it's worth (and after what I said above, some of you might think it's not worth much! LOL), getting a $35k X351 is risky at best, but with that in mind, and knowing that you get what you pay for, it could be the bargain of the century for the right buyer.

I'd prefer to get one that's certified and pay a bit more.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I would be very cautious looking at an XJ that has been in an accident. Since the whole structure of the car is built with aluminum that is bonded and riveted, only a very few body shops are certified by Jaguar to perform structural repairs. This may be why you are seeing some "exceptionally" low priced cars for sale.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Advice: before you exchange the Sonata for a '11 XJ, be sure to test drive both over the same stretch of freeway for a good many miles. What really ticked me off about my XJL was when I first took it to the dealer with the bad ride complaint, they handed me a Sonata loaner car. It rode so much smoother than my XJL at 70+ MPH freeway speeds. The dealer people thought that I was joking when I told them that.

Despite the terrible ride I still love my XJL and I got Jaguar of NA involved now trying to find a fix. Very much hope that we will because there is not an other sedan that I want more than the XJL. But, the ride must be fixed.

Albert
You complain about the X351's ride quality, but have you driven a late model Sonata? My wife's is an "SE" with the "sport" suspension. It is the stiffest riding car I've ever had and it provides no handling benefits. Very pointless, because it is a gutless family sedan. Even with four adults in the car, the ride quality doesn't mellow out. Why do they have to put 19" alloys on a family sedan? Bleh!

That being said, I expect a little more from the X351, but I think I know what to expect because my X350 had some bad ride quality (jittery, similar to flatspotting) issues, and the X351 chassis is partially based on the X350 as I understand. But coming from the Sonata, I'm sure it will be more than acceptable!

All of the Jags I've ever had have had problems. I just learned to accept certain things. I came to Jaguar from Lexus, where the ride quality was superb, reliability was superb, and everything was built to a very high standard. Yet Lexus, and other brands, miss so much about what makes a car a good car--character.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 12-18-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

I didn't mean to imply that a 2011 XJ for $35k is a good buy, just that many models are already crossing the $40k barrier in asking price. Depreciation is taking its toll on these X351s, just like their predecessors.

I do want an X351 but this is sort of a long-range plan to buy one. Certainly in a year or two, $35k would buy me a very nice example of an X351.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
You complain about the X351's ride quality, but have you driven a late model Sonata? My wife's is an "SE" with the "sport" suspension. It is the stiffest riding car I've ever had and it provides no handling benefits
I do not know which model Sonata my loaner was but, it rode much better than my XJL. Which, was the point I was making to the dealer.

The suspension being stiff is NOT the issue here. Even the stiffest suspension is expected to provide a smooth ride over perfect road surfaces. The Sonata did do so. My XJL vibrates on the same smooth surfaces. It picks up the tiny surface roughness and turns them into a continuous vibration. It is a harmonic vibration issue that is the enemy of all chassis designers. That is why car manufacturers pay big bucks to engineers specializing in harmonic vibrations. In the design description for the 2014 Corvette I'd read that engineers decided to add a torque tube to the Vette's chassis exactly to eliminate harmonic vibrations. There is something definitely present in the XJL design that causes vibration in some of the cars, at least. Also, it bothers some people more than others. It drives me up the wall because I know that it should not be there.

I have come to conclude that it is an issue that exist with at least a segment of the XJL cars on the road, cause unknown thus far. Jaguar has been making changes to the XJ suspension, apparently trying to fix this issue but, so far the fix has eluded them.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 12-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Albert, do you think the car having very sharp steering would have anything to do with it?

I think some of the economy cars are built without any real connection to the road. Which in some ways is a great thing. Where cars with excellent steering racks and suspension are built for instant feedback.

Did you get a chance to drive the 2013 XJ for the commute? Does it do the same?

Old 12-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Executive
Albert, do you think the car having very sharp steering would have anything to do with it?

I think some of the economy cars are built without any real connection to the road. Which in some ways is a great thing. Where cars with excellent steering racks and suspension are built for instant feedback.

Did you get a chance to drive the 2013 XJ for the commute? Does it do the same?
I do not think that it is a quick steering issue at all. The vibration is felt through not only the steering wheel but through the seats and the floor pan. I am experienced enough in performance/race car construction to tell the difference between a suspension setup for aggressive driving and an abnormal chassis vibration.

I did test drive two 2013 base XJs and felt no difference in the suspension setup, despite the factory claimed different spring and damper rates. The test drives were not long enough to fully evaluate the vibration issue. Some professional testers, testing 2013 and 2014 XJ models, however, clearly noticed the same sensation that I call "vibration". It is definitely not the result of a sporty setup, it is most likely an elusive chassis behavior that Jaguar has not been able to fully eliminate even with the 2013 and 2014 suspension changes.

When I lower cold tires pressures to 22 lbs, it "almost" eliminates the vibration, the car is quite driveable. But, even my good friend who owns a Goodyear dealership and a racing shop warned me yesterday about sustained low tire pressures. So, that is likely not my long term solution. He also thinks that it is either a bushing or a chassis issue.

Albert

Old 12-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

I do not think that it is a quick steering issue at all. The vibration is felt through not only the steering wheel but through the seats and the floor pan. I am experienced enough in performance/race car construction to tell the difference between a suspension setup for aggressive driving and an abnormal chassis vibration.

I did test drive two 2013 base XJs and felt no difference in the suspension setup, despite the factory claimed different spring and damper rates. The test drives were not long enough to fully evaluate the vibration issue. Some professional testers, testing 2013 and 2014 XJ models, however, clearly noticed the same sensation that I call "vibration". It is definitely not the result of a sporty setup, it is most likely an elusive chassis behavior that Jaguar has not been able to fully eliminate even with the 2013 and 2014 suspension changes.

When I lower cold tires pressures to 22 lbs, it "almost" eliminates the vibration, the car is quite drivable. But, even my good friend who owns a Goodyear dealership and a racing shop warned me yesterday about sustained low tire pressures. So, that is likely not my long term solution. He also thinks that it is either a bushing or a chassis issue.

Albert
If you found the vibration on all of them, then i don't think anything suspension part replacement is going to get rid of it.

If Jaguar ends up buying it back, you can always go for another XF with the 18" wheels. Just make sure you take it for a long drive before hand.

You have liked the agility in the XF anyway - and a good chance to upgrade to SC version maybe

Old 12-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

I guess the question I have is has anyone else on the forum noticed the issue that Albert is noticing about the resonance/vibration issues with the chassis/suspension?

Old 12-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Executive
If you found the vibration on all of them, then i don't think anything suspension part replacement is going to get rid of it.

If Jaguar ends up buying it back, you can always go for another XF with the 18" wheels. Just make sure you take it for a long drive before hand.

You have liked the agility in the XF anyway - and a good chance to upgrade to SC version maybe
Yes, that would be an option I would consider.

Like I posted before, my wife's XF actually rides and handles super well on the XJL's larger 19" wheels/tires. No vibration similar to the XJL's. I really enjoy driving the XF while I would also really enjoy the additional luxury of the XJL. I could always trade with my wife since her driving is 99 percent local on good roads and she would never experience the vibration. What stops me from trading is that I leased the XJL while purchased the XF and I rather put the mileage on the leased car. She has only put about 3K miles on the '12XF while I have about '13K miles on my '12 XJL.

Albert

Old 12-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I guess the question I have is has anyone else on the forum noticed the issue that Albert is noticing about the resonance/vibration issues with the chassis/suspension?
The thread below has a couple of people noticing something similar and even after tire replacement they still are unsure if they feel tire vibration or road suface vibration. Sounds like my issue, except I had proven that it is NOT a tire/wheel issue for my car.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-seat-104102/

There were other prior posts where people noticed the slight vibration but, they were not particularly bothered by it. In reality, I would probably be OK if I were not using my car for regular freeway drives of 3 hours long. For local street driving it is not really bad.

Also pro testers noticed the ride issue:

2013 Jaguar XJ Pros and Cons: Michael's Review

Excerpts from the above test review:

"Ride smoothness

The classic Jaguar XJ was renowned for its ride quality. The current car (2013 XJ) doesn't measure up. While the XJ glides down the highway, at lower speeds it shimmies and jiggles. All but the smallest bumps send tremors through the body structure."

I have also read a very recent, I think Australian, review of the 2014 XJR and the tester also noticed a constant "pattering" of the suspension over smooth road surfaces. Again, very descriptive of what I am talking about.

Edit; just found an other review:

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/...-jaguar-xjr-l/

Excerpt:
"The XJR never really settles down. Yes, it is refined and quiet, but when not on perfect pavement, there is a constant flow of vertical and lateral jiggles that reflect the car’s more aggressive body control."

Albert's comment: the tester likely had not spent enough time in the car to see that it jiggles even on perfectly smooth surfaces. So, it seems to be an issue for at least SOME of the XJs out there, up to the 2014 models.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 12-18-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, that would be an option I would consider.

Like I posted before, my wife's XF actually rides and handles super well on the XJL's larger 19" wheels/tires. No vibration similar to the XJL's. I really enjoy driving the XF while I would also really enjoy the additional luxury of the XJL. I could always trade with my wife since her driving is 99 percent local on good roads and she would never experience the vibration. What stops me from trading is that I leased the XJL while purchased the XF and I rather put the mileage on the leased car. She has only put about 3K miles on the '12XF while I have about '13K miles on my '12 XJL.

Albert
That makes sense since you paying for it. Hopefully Jaguar USA is able to offer some type of mutually satisfactory solution.

Quick Reply: I want an X351!!