XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

If not water pump, then what? X351 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 01:23 AM
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Quietgiant
Is there anything behind the front engine plate that would leak? I believe all that is there are the crank, sprockets, chains and oil seals. All the cooling stuff if above that, correct?
BEFORE I REASSEMBLE: Please let me know if you have any other opinions or ideas as to where this leak may originate. Are there any hoses, tubes, outlets. or gaskets I can expose and inspect without the pressure test?I would like to eliminate the top of the engine as a source of the leak.
What was the outcome for you?

I'm in this same identical situation. I did not do a leak down test. All the usual suspects for coolant loss are fine, don't show any failure.

I'm considering reassembling the car and pressure testing from there, hoping that the water pump although it does not look like it failed was the culprit (or gaskets on the plastic tube behind it).

Old 09-25-2021, 04:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VicVegas84
What was the outcome for you?

I'm in this same identical situation. I did not do a leak down test. All the usual suspects for coolant loss are fine, don't show any failure.

I'm considering reassembling the car and pressure testing from there, hoping that the water pump although it does not look like it failed was the culprit (or gaskets on the plastic tube behind it).
I did not find any sign of a leak behind, under or around the water pump or any of the plastic cooling parts hidden under the intake manifold or supercharger. I replaced ALL of the “old design” OEM plastic parts with new because of the brain damage associated with doing the procedure in the future because of (in my opinion) bad engineering design. I also took advantage of the wasted labor by replacing the supercharger coupler to quiet that thing down. After buttoning everything up I found two issues.
First was the cooling line going to the front of the water pump: The plastic nipple that inserts into the WP had worn off to the point it was several cm too short and could not be held by the retainer clip inside the hole (which also was defective) of the WP.
Second: I found a minor leak on the hose to/from reservoir tank. The “O”-ring inside gray plastic connector on the line from the reservoir (part shown) had failed. It leaked just enough to leave the sweet smell of coolant on a daily basis and eventually, in stealthily way, it sucked and dripped coolant that convinced you it was the water pump. Through trial and error I eventually found the issue and bought some generic o rings, replaced the faulty one and smeared a little silicone around the interior of the gray part and a light coat around the o-ring nipple for good measure and as added incentive to hold coolant. I then let everything sit for 24-36hrs to cure. Also, because I no longer feel confident in a design that screams future failure, I then Zip tied every connection within reach for added holding security. A lot like suspenders plus a belt to hold up your pants. Hope this helps you or someone else.
BTW: I also replaced the WP gaskets, O ring to the oil cooler and the plastic insert. I figured in for a penny, in for a dollar.
Good Luck

Last edited by Quietgiant; 09-25-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:22 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just a FYI, zip ties inside the engine area will heat up and break soon, might want to re-think that and use a small metal screw clamp.....

Old 09-26-2021, 10:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Dreger
Just a FYI, zip ties inside the engine area will heat up and break soon, might want to re-think that and use a small metal screw clamp.....
Thanks for the FYI, I’m aware of that. I do my own maintenance so everything is inspected regularly.