XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

INcontrol not connecting to ATT network

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 04:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default INcontrol not connecting to ATT network

HI all,
I have a 2016 XJL with the ATT SIM card installed for internet access and to enable the use of the Jaguar remote app. My problem is that under the connectivity section on the display it just says reading SIM all the time and never connects to the network. I have tried a new SIM card, however, it is still not working. Has anyone experienced this issue? I have spoken with ATT and they say all is fine on their end although they cannot connect to the car either. It is very frustrating not to be able to remote start the car through the app.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-30-2020, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Starting with the simplest, I just want to make sure you are inserting the SIM correctly. It goes contact/gold side up, with the smallest flat edge pushed in first and the notch on the outside front left.

Also, that the SIM is known supported by JLR. It shouldn't be too picky, but I know if the SIM needs activating on first use then that needs to be done outside of the car as it cannot handle that.

As it is a 2016, it likely has one of the early UIP SIM modules fitted. (That is the black panel in the glove box where you insert the SIM card, and has the power socket and USB/HDMI ports). The early ones have a high failure rate where the SIM card no longer makes connection with the electrical contacts correctly, leading to intermittent and then permanent "Reading SIM..." There is no fix for a faulty module - it needs replacing if that is the cause.

If you are sure the SIM is supported and is being inserted correctly then if it is under warranty still get the dealer to replace the UIP module for not reading the SIM. It is unlikely to be the first time they have seen that fault unless they don't service many XJs, but JLR are well aware of it. If it is not under warranty you can replace yourself without disassembling anything. It just pops out, but it is quite fiddly to get it clipped back in again (push 75% down and 25% in - it makes sense when you examine the clips).

Old 07-06-2020, 12:03 PM

Thanks XDave, that was the issue. Appreciate your help

Paul

Old 07-26-2020, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you please tell me the purpose of paying for a new SIM card for my XJR? With cell phones what is the point ? I really hope there is something cool bc I always love upgrading my ride !

Old 08-04-2020, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crickets ??? Is anyone alive out there ? Is this the only way you can start the car with the app ? I still get warning that an error has occurred with the remote climate and try again later. Seems like the system won’t update either.

Attached Thumbnails INcontrol not connecting to ATT network-96ee840e-fa26-46e9-998b-2e74facc5183.png  

Last edited by Jlohojo7; 08-04-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:19 PM

Hi Jlohojo,
Yes my understanding is that you need the SIM card and a data account with AT&T to enable the remote start, car locator and other features of the phone app. If you car is still under warranty this also enables the roadside assistance functions. You can pay for this service after warranty expires (Incontrol Protect) but will still need the SIM and active data account. I have mine working now and it is great to be able to cool the car interior from the app on these hot summer days.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:08 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlohojo7
Crickets ??? Is anyone alive out there ? Is this the only way you can start the car with the app ? I still get warning that an error has occurred with the remote climate and try again later. Seems like the system won’t update either.
No crickets here mate..
I more closely read your error message and suggest a call to 1-800-4Jaguar to reset your vin# with your account to defray the simultaneous error.

For others:

In my '17 XF, I took out my Verizon tablet's 4G LTE nano sim card (and its adapter template to fit the mini size sim tray used by Jag that year) and installed it into the trunk mount.

Then, I D/Loaled InControl version 2.1.1 and created my Jag account against my VIN#.
(had to call 1-800-4Jaguar)

Then, used the overhead console service call button for 10 seconds as detailed in the owner manual.

Now I can set HVAC temp, run the engine, beep horn/flash lights, lock doors, etc.. from my Samsung A50. Yay!

I was surprised that while At&t used 3G GSM signal, my Verizon 4G LTE sim works a treat!

Post your progress so we can help..

Last edited by F1Virginia; 08-06-2020 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BiggShooter (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
No crickets here mate..
I more closely read your error message and suggest a call to 1-800-4Jaguar to reset your vin# with your account to defray the simultaneous error.

For others:

In my '17 XF, I took out my Verizon tablet's 4G LTE nano sim card (and its adapter template to fit the mini size sim tray used by Jag that year) and installed it into the trunk mount.

Then, I D/Loaled InControl version 2.1.1 and created my Jag account against my VIN#.

Then, used the overhead console service call button for 10 seconds as detailed in the owner manual.

Now I can set HVAC temp, run the engine, beep horn/flash lights, lock doors, etc.. from my Samsung A50. Yay!

I was surprised that while At&t used 3G GSM signal, my Verizon 4G LTE sim works a treat!

I'm planning to give this a try as well. I ordered a sim card adapter kit to allow the nano sim from my Apple iPad Pro 9.7 (Verizon Wireless Network) to be converted to a micro sim and inserted into the sim card slot in the center console of my 2017 Jaguar XJL (Supercharged). I removed the sim card from the car and was still able to "remotely" lock the doors / beep the horn / ect from the app on my iPhone. I'm not sure how this is possible. The only thing I can think of is the car is currently connected to my home WiFi network.

I don't have an account with AT&T to receive data, however it does show the car is connected to the 3G network without a data plan (unable to receive traffic info / weather / ect). I also notice the 3G does disconnect at times while driving. I'm wondering if this might be an issue with the sim card slot / reader itself? I've been using the personal hotspot on my iPhone to allow the car to connect for data (traffic / weather / ect), which works very well. I'd rather be able to use the nano sim from my iPad Pro 9.7, so hopefully it connects once I get the adapter. I was skeptical at first, as AT&T and Verizon are on two different networks (CDMA vs GSM), however with this post, I'm a bit more confident it will work.

Stay Tuned

Old 08-07-2020, 11:27 AM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlohojo7
Can you please tell me the purpose of paying for a new SIM card for my XJR? With cell phones what is the point ? I really hope there is something cool bc I always love upgrading my ride !
The main reason to pay for the SIM on a 2016.
To make car a hot-spot.
To have live updates on navigation
That's about all I use it for.

You do not need a SIM data plan to use the remote app. I used the app w/o any issues for months. I only connected the data plan hoping for Android app updates which never happened.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
No crickets here mate..

For others:

Originally Posted by BiggShooter
I'm planning to give this a try as well. I ordered a sim card adapter kit to allow the nano sim from my Apple iPad Pro 9.7 (Verizon Wireless Network) to be converted to a micro sim and inserted into the sim card slot in the center console of my 2017 Jaguar XJL (Supercharged). I removed the sim card from the car and was still able to "remotely" lock the doors / beep the horn / ect from the app on my iPhone. I'm not sure how this is possible. The only thing I can think of is the car is currently connected to my home WiFi network.

I don't have an account with AT&T to receive data, however it does show the car is connected to the 3G network without a data plan (unable to receive traffic info / weather / ect). I also notice the 3G does disconnect at times while driving. I'm wondering if this might be an issue with the sim card slot / reader itself? I've been using the personal hotspot on my iPhone to allow the car to connect for data (traffic / weather / ect), which works very well. I'd rather be able to use the nano sim from my iPad Pro 9.7, so hopefully it connects once I get the adapter. I was skeptical at first, as AT&T and Verizon are on two different networks (CDMA vs GSM), however with this post, I'm a bit more confident it will work.

Stay Tuned
I'm not having ANY luck with getting the Verizon 4G LTE nano sim from my iPad Pro 9.7 to work in the car (2017 Jaguar XJL - Supercharged). It seems to try and read the sim card, however it will not connect. Not sure what else I can do at this point.